All powerful Apple

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
I just cant believe this, Apple really must have some clout! In ireland things concerning mobile/cell phones are very different ,they are very rarely subsidised, especially high end phones, also you can never get out of a contract when a new version of a phone comes out unless you buy out your existing contract....this is basically due to the lack of compitition in a very small country but I just found this on the O2 ireland web site. Excuse me but f*ckin hell:D. I can do it........ I can get the new iPhone at a decent price as an upgrade as an existing user. Apple must have some pull to make O2 ireland do this. I love Steve Jobs. Please tell me I am reading this right!

One thing as I have never had experienced of this before can I keep my iPhone v1 as a back up or give to the wife

Ignore all my previous posts about not wanting the new iPhone:p

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
What did Apple do? It's the cell phone companies that are forcing Apple to take this new route, as the iPhone was not selling in Europe. Apple's original businesss model did not work, the lack of sales in Europe is evident. He had to listen to the cell phone companies and merge his product in with the cell phone companies existing businesss model, which does work. If Apple wants to hit 10 million iPhones by end of this year, they had to take this route.

You cannot approach an expert in their field (the cell phone company) and tell them this is how you want your product sold, no ifs or buts. And then wonder why in 6 months, your product is still sitting on the shelves and no one is touching it.

If people in Europe are used to buying a brand spanking new phone (with more features than the iPhone) for free on a 18 month contract. Then why are they going to spend 499 euros on a iPhone and then still have to take out a new 18 month contract? It failed and Apple has had to respond to consumer demands to lower the price and make the phone more affordable.

I just cant believe this, Apple really must have some clout! In ireland things concerning mobile/cell phones are very different ,they are very rarely subsidised, especially high end phones, also you can never get out of a contract when a new version of a phone comes out unless you buy out your existing contract....this is basically due to the lack of compitition in a very small country but I just found this on the O2 ireland web site. Excuse me but f*ckin hell:D. I can do it........ I can get the new iPhone at a decent price as an upgrade as an existing user. Apple must have some pull to make O2 ireland do this. I love Steve Jobs. Please tell me I am reading this right!

One thing as I have never had experienced of this before can I keep my iPhone v1 as a back up or give to the wife

Ignore all my previous posts about not wanting the new iPhone:p

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
Yeah I am so excited here I may be talking sh*t but you just have to browse the Irish mobile web sites to see the desperate pricing all round. You are probably correct but the european attack on pricing forced by the phone companies ....whoever...... is actually affecting Irish prizes! And I cant believe it!

Ravman you're a wiseman!

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
You guys are lucky. Your mobile phones are much better than the mobile phones out here. And they are a lot cheaper too.

When I used to live in the UK, the mobile contracts were only 12 months. But now it's gone up to 18 months, BUT you get a free laptop or Wii. Here you get a kick up the ar$e and sent on your way!

Yeah I am so excited here I may be talking sh*t but you just have to browse the Irish mobile web sites to see the desperate pricing all round. You are probably correct but the european attack on pricing forced by the phone companies ....whoever...... is actually affecting Irish prizes! And I cant believe it!

Ravman you're a wiseman!