All the iPhone mocking...

kimirike

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Is anyone else sick of people making fun of the iPhone? Especially in the media?
It drives me nuts to see all these people saying stuff like 'It can do anything.' 'It's a Jesus phone.' etc. I mean it is a great device and yeah it's expensive but it can't really do everything! Every time I see stuff like that it just makes me think of the simple things it can't do. Like how I can't have my mp3's as ringtones, copy/paste, or how I can't get rid of the youtube icon on the home screen. I mean you see these parodies out there that say it can do it all, but it can't.

It's just a really awesome phone, arguably the coolest one on the market. And it makes me a bit bitter that it can't be all the things that people mockingly say it can. Dammit I wish my phone really was a JesusPhone. But it ain't.

So is anyone out there sick of hearing people make fun of the device especially when you're walking around with it in your pocket? or is it just me?

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
I can't stand to hear Jesusphone. Like a phone could compare to Jesus.

charlich

Jun 18, 2007
PC Magazine Criticism

The reviewer in PC Magazine described the iPhone as a "toy".

Is anyone else sick of people making fun of the iPhone? Especially in the media?
It drives me nuts to see all these people saying stuff like 'It can do anything.' 'It's a Jesus phone.' etc. I mean it is a great device and yeah it's expensive but it can't really do everything! Every time I see stuff like that it just makes me think of the simple things it can't do. Like how I can't have my mp3's as ringtones, copy/paste, how I can't get rid of the youtube icon on the home screen, or how it really isn't Jesus our savior. I mean you see these parodies out there that say it can do it all, but it can't.

It's just a really awesome phone, arguably the coolest one on the market. And it makes me a bit bitter that it can't be all the things that people mockingly say it can. Dammit I wish my phone really was a JesusPhone. But it ain't.

So is anyone out there sick of hearing people make fun of the device especially when you're walking around with it in your pocket? or is it just me?

Iceblinkluck

Bronze
Mar 30, 2007
Long Island NY
first question i always get is. so are you having any issues? how is the battery life i heard it was a real problem.

tfg

Jun 20, 2007
I don't care. If I listened to everyone else's analysis and reviews of everything, I would never buy anything. I saw the phone and the keynote, I liked the phone, I bought the phone and I like it now. End of story. There are some things that I want them to include in some updates but I'm satisfied right now.

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
Does anyone ever feel that we discuss why we should or should not like the iPhone almost as much as the iPhone in general?

iPhobos

Bronze
Jul 25, 2007
Does anyone ever feel that we discuss why we should or should not like the iPhone almost as much as the iPhone in general?
^I think so^

I enjoy those who ask me questions about the battery and the issues so they can be put in their place ans start telling people who don't have an iPhone and say thinks like they say to me and tell them the real truth.

I am happy with my phone and don't care what the others think. And for those that think i am just being stubborn when i say something like i just tell 'em they're jealous... ;)

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I am well past the "it can do anything" comments and into the realm of "I heard it's been hacked" and "the news said you can't charge the battery" nonsense. What fun!

--
Mike

HXL8847

Aug 5, 2007
I am well past the "it can do anything" comments and into the realm of "I heard it's been hacked" and "the news said you can't charge the battery" nonsense. What fun!

--
Mike
I spoke to a At&t rep the other day and he said that the staff has been instructed by their corporate office to say negative things about the iPhone so potential consumers will purchase other AT&T phones. Remember Apple is only using the AT&T network. iPhone is not a AT&T phone.

el31415

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
I spoke to a At&t rep the other day and he said that the staff has been instructed by their corporate office to say negative things about the iPhone so potential consumers will purchase other AT&T phones. Remember Apple is only using the AT&T network. iPhone is not a AT&T phone.
yes right you are believing all the rep. specially ATT rep.
you will have bought a corded phone

sdge

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
ALMOST as much? HA!

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
conversation inevatabley turns into something about how much it costs and why I shouldn't have spent so much blah blah blah. THAT unnerves me.

Jun 29, 2007
It drives me nuts to see all these people saying stuff like 'It can do anything.' 'It's a Jesus phone.' etc. I mean it is a great device and yeah it's expensive but it can't really do everything! Every time I see stuff like that it just makes me think of the simple things it can't do. Like how I can't have my mp3's as ringtones, copy/paste, or how I can't get rid of the youtube icon on the home screen. I mean you see these parodies out there that say it can do it all, but it can't.

Not as much as reading useless topics such as this one.

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
iPhone is here... it does a lot of stuff well... and some stuff really well... and some stuff not so well. The media is just anti-Apple...

I really hate the $$$ argument as well... new technology always come at a price.

camtheram

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Colorado
Its the jealousy factor. People will make fun of what they can't afford or what seems like an irrational amount of money to spend on a phone. Whether you saved up for the iPhone or purchased it on a whim, we became part of an elite group.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I think PC Magazine called the original Mac a "toy," as well.
Yep, and they took a jab at that in the very next sentence following the "toy" comment. And for the record in context this is what was actually written: "As it is right now, it's an amazing (and expensive) toy."

FWIW I read that PC Mag review before I bought my iPhone. Nothing in the review was really a surprise, but I was very concerned about this part: "Call quality was the worst we've heard on a high-end device in years. We're not going to put that on AT&T, either: our Blackberry Curve made much clearer calls at the same time, in the same place. Reception leaves something to be desired."

No other review was this scathing regarding phone quality.

And I live in an area with less-than-stellar AT&T coverage (Radio Shack here won't even sell AT&T, as they claim they got too many complaints about lack of coverage).

I bought the iPhone knowing this, but hoping for the best. I figured coverage quality would be obvious within the 3 day (with no restocking or activation fee) return period.

Turns out my iPhone works better as a phone than the Treo (Sprint) it replaced. Haven't had a dropped call yet, and the sound quality is noticeably better than my Treo's. Sprint has excellent coverage around here, I should note (but no EV-DO!).

Also note that the coverage here still isn't great: I often have 0-1 bars on my iPhone. But it hasn't stopped me from making calls. EDGE isn't so great with 0 bars, but it's still faster than the CDMA 1x I had on my Treo 650.

YMMV.

--
Mike

dovebar27

Jul 28, 2007
What I can't stand is the mocking/staring from regular folks. I don't pull out my phone if I don't have to. Otherwise, it will be in its case and sitting in my pocket. And it's a good thing it's so new and it seems there aren't too many people who have even played with one at an Apple or corporate AT&T store, so they won't be able to recognize what an iPhone is if it's sitting in my plain black case.

There was one time, this past Saturday, when I had to pull the phone out to just check the time--I was at a Barnes & Noble while I was on break and had to see what time it was. So I checked and my phone was only out for a few seconds, but it was enough. Nearby, some idiots in the Starbucks section of the store were having a nice, long, LOUD laugh over how it would be okay to buy an iPod...*maybe*...but buying an iPhone would be crazy/stupid/whatever! Ugh...

It's most like the iPhone is the eighth Horcrux that Voldemort didn't intend to create. Just as Voldemort's "avada kedavra!" backfired on him and unintentionally created a Horcrux, something backfired with the iPhone too. I think it's its price tag. If it cost about the same price as other smartphones do with new contracts, I don't think people would be as snarky toward this device.