"...all they've done is make it taller..." REALLY?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by snowtrooper1966, Sep 13, 2012.

1. snowtrooper1966

Gold

It blows me away to keep seeing comments like this.
    How can anyone with at least minimal comprehensive abilities and active listening skills post something like that with any confidence?

Sure, I'll concede it was possible to think that pre-launch, but to continue to assert that after the Keynote is teetering on the edge of delusion.

Apple has once again produced a device that is nothing short of an engineering masterwork:
    Many of the 5's refinements announced at yesterday's Keynote were on the level of an order of magnitude of 2 (doubling). That is beyond impressive, considering they lengthened the device while achieving a reduction in weight and thickness.

Folks feeling unimpressed about the 5 likely had unrealistic expectations of a huge design overhaul.

In my opinion, there will never be another major design change as from the 3GS to the 4.
    At this point the basic form is set, and the improvements in hardware will generally be invisible, but not insubstantial.
    Moving forward, the changes we are and will be seeing are in fact more important than what is superficial.
    Apple is blazing the trail on refining an already superior product, wisely choosing to focus on exponentially improving the performance and user experience as opposed to bumping up specs and hardware size needlessly to compete with other manufacturer's products in an misguided effort to placate the uninformed user ideology that bigger and faster is better.
    They appear to be keenly focused on the best user experience possible, and for me, that is way more important than cosmetic frivolity.

They didn’t change anything, really?
    I would be harder pressed to list things that were not changed......

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  2. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Didn't you know that when they make these ridiculous statements that we are supposed to take them as fact.

You're right since you pointed out they only "overhauled slightly a 4's" I hadn't realized that and now I am not going to buy one. Lame.

Some people are only happy when thy are complaining. It's sad they have to get lumped into the same group as us true Apple fans.

I'm excited for the new phone. I hope less people buy them. Makes mine more special. :)

Good post snow trooper.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

I do have unrealistic expectations
    have to say when I was reading the Keynote I was a little disappointed
    That was yesterday!
    When I went and watched it with son last night
    (he freaked out in happyness about Lightning?) and this morning thought about it ......
    It looks a lot better in the video and thinner !
    Can't wait to hold it in RL
    The construction and precision unmatched!
    The A6 looked like it works flawless and superfast !
    I was not certain about the camera. My biggest issue was the low light pic taking! I needed a more responsive and faster camera! Yay for once I got what I ask for ! Including a pic from video!
    The Chips alone ! Better graphics and faster!
    3 mics and improved speakers Love it!
    Anyway I am happy ! It will be a even better phone then my 4s which has performed flawless!
    Now let be be a whiner THE BOTTOM earplug ? PLEASE NOOOOO!
    And why did the iPhone have no color ? With an option/choice I would gladly pay more!
    Ok you guys are not for color I understand!

4. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

Last week someone at work said this to me and I just looked at him and smiled. I told him then that I was sure Apple did much more than just make the iPhone 5 taller. I told him to watch the keynote when it became available on the Apple web site. Today he came to me and said, I'm getting it tomorrow. At lease he wised up. Other people here are not so wise.

There is still this one guy here at my job with his iPhone 3G. The phone is starting to smell. He's had the same case on it since he put it on when he got the phone. He only took it off once two years ago when I made him clean his phone. At this point, I wish he would just chuck it already! I asked him if he was getting the new iPhone 5 this year and he's not sure because it's too tall. O_o

5. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Even the wonderfully sublime appearance alterations they did choose to incorporate were with an eye to improving performance. Ditching the needlessly fragile back glass and replacing it with a rigid milled aluminum cradle for strength, weight reduction and better signal reception. The black (slate) anodized stainless steel trim, now that's just the icing on the cake. I now see the 5 as a real thing of beauty.
    If I do manage to pull off a miracle and finnagle the funds get one a@ launch, I'm going to have a hard time encasing this one :D

6. snowtrooper1966

Gold

You can lead an idiot to the promised land but they don't all have the sense to walk in :D

Tell him you will sell him your 4/4S....

7. Apple iAddicted

Apple iAddicted Contributor
    Bronze

The iPhone 5 looks good and the A6 chip and 4G/LTE is really tempting but it says they integrated the touch screen into the glass, now if I'm mistaken tell me so but does this mean if you drop an iPhone 5 and the glass cracks that the touch Screen blacks out and the phone is junk until you get a screen or replacement phone (like Android and windows touch phones do) if so then us clumsy owners will be steered away. The ability to operate with a crack in the screen was my main reason for switching from Android.

Sent from my 32GB iPhone 4s on iOS 5.1.1
    The ONLY thing better than an iPhone is the newer iPhone!

8. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

LOL! I'm getting $400 for my 4S and $190 for my 4. I'm sure he's not paying more than that. He'll have to figure it out for himself. Plus any phone I sell him would end up being dirty, broken and smelly in the span of a few months. EWW! (n)

9. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

The diamond-polished chamfer is pretty sweet looking too.

And the whole measuring down to the micron thing is boggling my mind. They actually take ginormous photos of the aluminum during production to determine the best fitting glass windows. That kind of attention to detail has gone well beyond obsessive. Somebody had to write some serious imaging software for that.

I hope they at least give it enough time to dry before shipping it, though.

10. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

My understanding is that the touch sensors are integrated into the LCD, not the glass.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/design/

11. Torinate

Torinate Member
    Bronze

Yes, people will complain. I have and will.

Blazing the trail is spittle extreme, I feel. To me, they're playing catch up still. The new iPhone is still behind or on par with what other phones are that are on the market. They haven't jumped ahead of them.

Yes, it's better than the 4S. Faster, sure. Camera will be on a teeny bit better. Not revolutionary. The current 4S camera really isn't that good at all compared to pics I've seen with the Galaxy for example.

I agree that it's an improvement. But it's definitely not the earth shattering, OMG type of leap I think most of us were expecting.

The realistic issue is that technology is improving at a faster rate than what Apple is releasing the iPhone at. Android devices are faulted for coming out every few months etc. but that's just moving with advances with technology.

Quad core, LTE, size (although still smaller and non-competitive to many with respect to size), camera just to name many things that are still just even or just on par with other offerings. Yes, I acknowledge Apple did make a better phone. Many will agree with that. BUT, I also believe many expected the leap over the others, not just up to the others.

IOS is sweet and slick. Best out there. But wouldn't it be nice to have a device that was over the top of all others on all fronts?

12. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

fury I could be lotus glass technology from corning or simular

13. snowtrooper1966

Gold

I think there may be a tendency to get a bit overloaded at times.
    That's why I bailed at the time of the Keynote yesterday. I just wanted to let it unfold organically and let it all soak in.
    I'll wager if you were not a member here and just had watched the iPhone5 when it became available online, you would have been freaking out alongside your son....

14. psylichon

psylichon Genius

Everyone who says they were expecting "more" generally fail at explaining what that "more" could be. Little things like NFC or an even bigger screen all have a pretty reasonable explanations why they would have been omitted. I think Apple covered all the big stuff pretty thoroughly. They didn't really introduce any revolutionary tech, but if you think there's some great big idea just lurking in the wings, by all means tell us what it is and how Apple dropped the ball by not including it.

Until I hear that magic idea they missed out on, I'm very pleased with the direction Apple is taking the platform.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. psylichon

psylichon Genius

Also, folks who are displeased with the design and think it's basically just a stretched 4s and not different enough, well... I just don't agree with those people. At all. And that's all I'll say about that.

16. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

17. snowtrooper1966

Gold

But after experiencing the superior quality inherent in iOS and iDevices, r u saying you are ready to bail?
    I think the improved overall strength and stability now built into the 5's milled aluminum frame will offer more protection for the screen.
    Buy Applecare+ and a case if you are that clumsy :D

18. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

psylichon gotta say I change my mind about the size once I saw it . I think with it being thinner and the way they made the casing it is not what I thought I'd be.
    but not about the moved earphone placement still hate that

19. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Agreed!
    We are only going to benefit from this extreme level of engineering....

20. psylichon

psylichon Genius