Alleged Sapphire Screen Shown in New Video

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by Napoleon PhoneApart, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

We had better hope the iPhone 6 does come with sapphire and it does a better job at preventing screen damage, shatters when dropped. I think if you were to poll iPhone users, they wouldn't mention scratches or scuffs to their display as an issue. I think most who don't use a screen protector, fair pretty well without one. The bigger issue is screen damage when these iPhones are dropped. That, in my opinion, would be the only real need for sapphire. Let's remember, sapphire weighs more and is more dense. Minor trade-offs is people wouldn't have to worry about screen damage.

Bigger phone will mean more drops. Without a display that is less prone to shattering, it's going to be a good revenue stream for the Genius bar.

3. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

But think about it - a larger iPhone will also mean a slightly shorter drop distance. :D

4. Lani Lei

Lani Lei Guest

I don't understand all the hype about sapphire glass. I mean, everyone says that it isn't as durable as Gorilla Glass. So, what are people excited about!!! Puzzles me really

5. Hinezy

Hinezy Contributor
    Silver

If we get a truly sapphire screen it will surely be more durable than Gorilla Glass, check out this video
    http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/02/kyocera-brigadier-sapphire-screen/

Sent from my iPhone 5

6. Lani Lei

Lani Lei Guest

Wow. That video definitely seems to suggest that sapphire glass is tough as nails, no pun intended, lol!

7. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Counterpoint,

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. Hinezy

Hinezy Contributor
    Silver

I don't quite agree with the counterpoint, the only negative on the video compared to gorilla glass was the flex of it, they both flexed well beyond what a typical phone would experience. He then gives his opinion on why that's a problem, no scientific proof. As for his drop test of the pure sapphire, he didn't do the same with pure gorilla glass to see how they compare. If anything, I felt this video also supported sapphire being superior when the narrator's opinion is taken out of it.

Sent from my iPhone 5