Allergy app

Discussion in 'iPhone Apps and Games' started by superchaos, Apr 3, 2013.

1. superchaos

superchaos Member
    Bronze

I'm looking for a good free accurate allergy app to keep track of what's in the air for the day to get an idea what I'm allergic to the most.

Sent using iCafe app

2. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I did a quick search just now in the App Store and found Pollen.com's Allergy Alert and WebMD Allergy.

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I don't know if there's an app, but you should be able to find a chart for your area. I took a picture of one that was on the wall at my allery doctor's office. I had allergy testing done in 2011 and now I'm undergoing allergy immunotherapy. I can't say enough good things about it. I've been symptom-free since I got on my maintenance dose. They test you for the allergens that you're allergic to and then mix a custom serum with everything you're allergic to. You then get a monthly injection of this serum over a three year period, which gradually makes you build up immunity. At the the end of the three years, your symptoms will be gone, or at least reduced by at least 70%, and you will no longer be allergic to the allergens that you once were.

This chart is for the western US:
    IMG_0155.JPG

4. aknightstale41

Gold

Pardon my forwardness here....Ill just put this out there not knowing any specifics and maybe being a better solution to an app...Raw organic honey, but must be locally produced (sold in your health food stores) that way your getting honey from flowers in your area. Studies show over time this has reduced or cured many allergies associated with pollen and plants by building up the bodies immunity.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Here are the direct links to the apps that Napoleon PhoneApart found for you, superchaos

Pollen.com's Allergy Alert by SDI
    https://itun.es/us/Me08y.i

WebMD Allergy by WebMD
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/webmd-allergy/id588509171?mt=8

Incidentally, as I was going to secure these links to share them with you, I noticed the the Mac App Store, doesn't have a Share button to share a direct link to an app with a friend (via e-Mail, via iMessage, post to Twitter, etc.) Perhaps it's simply hidden in a conspicuous location and I couldn't find it (Anyone able to find it?)

I had to go get the links on my iPhone, and share them to myself via iMessage and copy and paste those links from Messages.app on OS X to be able to share with you... Unnecessary extra steps! If Apple provided the Share Link To App functionality on the OS X version of the App Store, everyone wins. The end users, and Apple.

iOS has this! Why not give it to OS X as well? It can only make it easier for users to spread links to apps, resulting in greater sales for the App Store.

Hopefully for OS X 10.9....

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You're just doing it wrong. :p You can easily copy link in iTunes on a Mac. Here's one that I just copied:
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/webmd-allergy/id588509171?mt=8

Screen Shot 2013-04-04 at 8.54.29 AM.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Europa ... You username should be "ApplePedia"... Is there an issue you don't know how to resolve/improve upon/find a resolution for within minutes?!?!

I'm not worthy!

8. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Whatever happened to just typing the names of the apps I provided into the App Store search box? You folks need to accept a few challenges. :p

9. alicepattinson

Bronze

Oh this is soooo Good. I have rhinitis and this will totally help me. But i hope it's really helpful

10. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Typing things out is so late 2010. We don't type anything out in full anymore. We dictate to Siri and she types things out for us; we click on links; we copy and paste; we type "piz" and expect it to be auto-completed to "pizza." :)

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

These apps won't really help. Treatment with immunotherapy or steroids or controlling the symptoms with antihistamines are the only things that will help. Just knowing the pollen levels never did me any good because avoiding exposure was impossible. One thing that can decrease the symptoms is to buy a new pillow every six months or always wash your hair right before bed. The pollen transfers from your hair to the pillow, which is why many people wake up with symptoms even though they aren't allergic to dust or any household allergens. Just washing the pillowcase is not enough.

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Forgot one: we spoon-feed...and way too much. It's not necessary.

13. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Wait until the power goes out - for good.

14. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

15. superchaos

superchaos Member
    Bronze

Thanks for the help:)

Sent using iCafe app

16. alicepattinson

Bronze

Thank you so much for your advice. I so agree, especially when I haven't do the laundry with my bed cover, or pillow cases every 2 weeks? My allergy really pisses me off. Can't even breathe well.