Alternative to iPhone alarm? Anything interactive?

TheFamousOne

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
So Ive developed a very bad problem lately. I don't wake up by alarms anymore. I have three physical electronic alarms places throughout my room, as well as nine (yes, NINE) alarms on my iPhone (using the stock clock software), starting from FIVE in the morning going till 9am...yet none of these wake me up.

Either I sleep through them all, or I turn them off. Ive tried going to bed earlier, doesn't make any difference. Its really starting to effect my work and college.

Has there been anything released on the iPhone that could possibly help with this? Any kind of puzzle software that you have to solve to get the alarm off?

Ive tried the jigsaw alarm, but I somehow always stuff it under my bed where I cannot hear it and go back to sleep.

Anyone have any idea of annnnything?!?:mad:

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
I'm interested in this as well.
Someone please help us out! :)

gotzaiPhone

Zealot
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
As far as I know, no. But you should go to a doctor about the sleep issue though.

Try putting all your alarm clocks on the opposite side of the room, so that you have to get out of bed to shut them off. Then discipline yourself to not go back into bed. Also try finding a stereo that has an alarm clock that you can set the volume very high, high enough to even wake your neighbors or the dead!

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
As far as I know, no. But you should go to a doctor about the sleep issue though.

Try putting all your alarm clocks on the opposite side of the room, so that you have to get out of bed to shut them off. Then discipline yourself to not go back into bed. Also try finding a stereo that has an alarm clock that you can set the volume very high, high enough to even wake your neighbors or the dead!

I agree with everything here, especially the part about the doctor.

iconone

Zealot
Gold
Apr 8, 2008
Clear Lake Texas
Try getting louder ring tones or a alarm docking station and crank it up.
Free ring tones at www.audiko.net try a metal one or something that you don't like.

Or try one of these http://www.perpetualkid.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=180
They had one on here that was a rocket and it shot off when the alarm went off and you had to find the rocket and put it back on for the alarm to stop. For some reason they took it off the website. Try the chrome clocky or the laser target alarm clock.

TheFamousOne

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008

Try getting louder ring tones or a alarm docking station and crank it up.
Free ring tones at www.audiko.net try a metal one or something that you don't like.

Or try one of these http://www.perpetualkid.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=180
They had one on here that was a rocket and it shot off when the alarm went off and you had to find the rocket and put it back on for the alarm to stop. For some reason they took it off the website. Try the chrome clocky or the laser target alarm clock.
All of these things I did do, as I said in my post. Actually I didn't mention the doctor, but I did go see one. The only thing they could do is give me some low dosage prescription speed pill. But the problem with that is I have to take it when I wake up....and I don't wake up, which is the problem!

Dec 10, 2007
blacked out
I saw an app in the store that "reads" your sleep cycles with some kind of wrist band attachment and wakes you up at the proper cycle. Seems a bit far fetched to me, but hey.. it IS an iPhone. hahah

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
I saw an app in the store that "reads" your sleep cycles with some kind of wrist band attachment and wakes you up at the proper cycle. Seems a bit far fetched to me, but hey.. it IS an iPhone. hahah
He needs an app that helps him wake up and not go back to sleep. That wristband app just wakes you up when you are rested enough.

failsafe

Bronze
Oct 17, 2008
San Diego
Wouldn't you just stuff your phone under the bed and not hear it as well?

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
You might try setting your alarms on either side of your head, so that you hear one alarm out of one ear and another alarm out of another ear. I was advised this once, citing the theory that the body regards this as danger and jerks itself out of sleep to defend. If your alarms are all in the same general direction relative to your body, it is getting used to it just like people get used to the TV or the radio going while they get to sleep.

If you're a coffee drinker and you have a programmable coffee maker (and what self-respecting coffee drinker wouldn't?), set it as close to your bed as you can so that the smell wakes you up as well. Set it to have the coffee done by the time your alarms are set to wake you up. (e.g. 15 minutes before)

If you have a friend that's an early bird, ask them to call you and talk to you until you're up and around.

elunaaa

Sep 21, 2009
i ran across an article by steve pavlina which i have already started to implement one day later, and already it has subtly shifted my awareness of what to do upon hearing my alarm in the first place. it probably works, because it relies on conditioning the body/mind versus depending on external technology. and admittedly, when i found this, i was looking for a better alarm clock app myself! but it might be worth a try...

http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2006/04/how-to-get-up-right-away-when-your-alarm-goes-off/

key lines:

"This is going to sound really stupid, but it works. Practice getting up as soon as your alarm goes off. That’s right — practice. But don’t do it in the morning. Do it during the day when you’re wide awake.

Go to your bedroom, and set the room conditions to match your desired wake-up time as best you can. Darken the room, or practice in the evening just after sunset so it’s already dark. If you sleep in pajamas, put on your pajamas. If you brush your teeth before bed, then brush your teeth. If you take off your glasses or contacts when you sleep, then take those off too.

Set your alarm for a few minutes ahead. Lie down in bed just like you would if you were sleeping, and close your eyes. Get into your favorite sleep position. Imagine it’s early in the morning… a few minutes before your desired wake-up time. Pretend you’re actually asleep. Visualize a dream location, or just zone out as best you can.

Now when your alarm goes off, turn it off as fast as you can. Then take a deep breath to fully inflate your lungs, and stretch your limbs out in all directions for a couple seconds… like you’re stretching during a yawn. Then sit up, plant your feet on the floor, and stand up. Smile a big smile. Then proceed to do the very next action you’d like to do upon waking. For me it’s getting dressed.

Now shake yourself off, restore the pre-waking conditions, return to bed, reset your alarm, and repeat. Do this over and over and over until it becomes so automatic that you run through the whole ritual without thinking about it. If you have to subvocalize any of the steps (i.e. if you hear a mental voice coaching you on what to do), you’re not there yet.

Feel free to devote several sessions over a period of days to this practice. Think of it like doing sets and reps at the gym. Do one or two sets per day at different times… and perhaps 3-10 reps each time.

Yes, it will take some time to do this, but that time is nothing compared to how much time you’ll save in the long run. A few hours of practice today can save you hundreds of hours each year.

With enough practice — I can’t give you an accurate estimate of how long it will take because it will be different for everyone – you’ll condition a new physiological response to the sound of your alarm. When your alarm goes off, you’ll get up automatically without even thinking about it. The more you run the pattern, the stronger it will become. Eventually it will be uncomfortable not to get up when your alarm goes off. It will feel like putting on your pants with the opposite leg first."

aznboiser

Bronze
Nov 21, 2007
its all in your head! you have the power! just tell youreslf to wake up! i mean we all wwant to just stay in bed for as long as possible..but it just doesn't work that way! so just wake up!

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Let me give you all some advice who're having this problem. It's not in externals or anything the iPhone or any other device can do. It is an internal problem in your mind. You really DON'T want to wake up, thereforee you don't! What people fail to realize is that sleep is like a drug. It is true that after a certain amount of rest, it actually sedates and drugs the body with the time periods differing from person to person due to chemical variations, mindsets and so forth. With that said, I know that if I sleep over 5 hours, it will actually make me more tired. I won't be energized at all.

I used to be very hard to wake up. But after practicing meditation for years and from relying on an alarm clock for the greater part of my life, in the last decade or so I actually haven't used an alarm clock! I know that sounds incredible but it's absolutely true. I programmed myself by solidly affirming in my mind before I go to sleep the time I will wake up. For the first few weeks it has hit and miss as I relied heavily on the alarm clock as a backup. But I haven't used an alarm clock in over a decade and I can actually wake myself up mentally down to the minute! BUT, you have to really DESIRE to do so. If you don't really WILL yourself to do this or to wake up, no matter what external aides you use, they will avail you none. ;)