Alternative to iTunes?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
Well you need iTunes to activate iPhone so why not use it? AFAIK iPhone dosn't have 'disk mode' so you cant manually store the mp3s. iTunes is your only option.

iPhobos

Bronze
Jul 25, 2007
Hate is such a strong word. I have heard a lot of peoples complaints about iTunes but their alternative is always win amp which I think is a horrible program other then having your own skins. So unstable too. But yes unfortunately for you iTunes is your only choice as of right now.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Hate is such a strong word. I have heard a lot of peoples complaints about iTunes but their alternative is always win amp which I think is a horrible program other then having your own skins. So unstable too. But yes unfortunately for you iTunes is your only choice as of right now.
Maybe you should have waited for the winPhone™ to come out, along with Windows Vista™ to tune your Zune™(*) to.

(*)“An error occurred while installing the Zune software”

THINGS TO TRY

1. View the event log details. For more information about how to view event logs in Event Viewer, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
308427 How to view and manage event logs in Event Viewer in Windows XP
To open Event Viewer and examine the details of the error message, follow these steps:
a. Click Start, click Run, type eventvwr, and then click OK.
b. In the Navigation Pane, click Application.
c. Click View, and then click Filter.
d. In the Event Source list, click MsiInstaller, and then click OK.
e. Use the information in the Date and Time columns to locate the events that were logged for MsiInstaller during the time that you could not complete the Zune software installation.
f. Double-click the event that you want to view. In the Event Properties dialog box, information about the event and a description of the event appear.
g. Etc, etc...

iPhobos

Bronze
Jul 25, 2007
Maybe you should have waited for the winPhone™ to come out, along with Windows Vista™ to tune your Zune™(*) to.

(*)“An error occurred while installing the Zune software”

THINGS TO TRY

1. View the event log details. For more information about how to view event logs in Event Viewer, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
308427 How to view and manage event logs in Event Viewer in Windows XP
To open Event Viewer and examine the details of the error message, follow these steps:
a. Click Start, click Run, type eventvwr, and then click OK.
b. In the Navigation Pane, click Application.
c. Click View, and then click Filter.
d. In the Event Source list, click MsiInstaller, and then click OK.
e. Use the information in the Date and Time columns to locate the events that were logged for MsiInstaller during the time that you could not complete the Zune software installation.
f. Double-click the event that you want to view. In the Event Properties dialog box, information about the event and a description of the event appear.
g. Etc, etc...
Yes exactly what i mean typical windows environment. Zune is ugly so is the name

pounce

Jul 20, 2007
I won't get into the reasons right now but I really hate iTunes. Does anyone know of an alternative that works with the iPhone?
No alternative will work with iPhone.

Since you didn't specify your os I'll assume you must ne on windows. I don't hear this complaint from mac users.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
No alternative will work with iPhone.

Since you didn't specify your os I'll assume you must ne on windows. I don't hear this complaint from mac users.
I'm using Windows. Syncing just scares the hell out of me. I would much rather just open up my iPhone on my computer just like a USB drive and drag and drop which songs I want into the iPhone or right click and delete the ones I don't.

I never know when iTunes is going to magically "sync" everything off my iPhone with one false click. I guess it's some type of phobia or something.

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
iTunes is pretty tame... it sounds like you're sucked into the Windows world of clicking on the "Cancel" button but it does something exactly opposite of what you expected.

When iTunes first came out, I actually really hated it. I was a hardcore SoundJam user at the time. (Ah back in the days of pre-OS X. How far we've come..) After a couple versions and finally switching over to OS X, I finally caved and ended up liking it. Apple's done some great work on it—such as smart playlists.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I'm using Windows. Syncing just scares the hell out of me. I would much rather just open up my iPhone on my computer just like a USB drive and drag and drop which songs I want into the iPhone or right click and delete the ones I don't.

I never know when iTunes is going to magically "sync" everything off my iPhone with one false click. I guess it's some type of phobia or something.
Well, iTunes doesn't magically get rid of things because you're a PC user. Maybe I would, but iTunes does things logically. If you ever lost anything on your PC using iTunes, it's because your PC messed up, not iTunes. This being said, relax.There's no reason to develop a phobia about iTunes, just stay away from PC stuff. iTunes works great.Phobia meds are available and I prescribe them.

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
I won't get into the reasons right now but I really hate iTunes. Does anyone know of an alternative that works with the iPhone?

iPhone does not and will never use any other program but iTunes for synch and music store.

In iTunes you can uncheck the box for automatic sync. I am like you and hate the auto sync but this option allows you to turn it off.

Aug 10, 2007
open source solution?

I don't think there's anything out yet for the iPhone. I broke out of jail on mine and it looks like the file system in the music folder on the iPhone is similar to that on the ipod. And the ipod has many different solutions that you can use as an alternative to iTunes.

I think I might watch to see one come out or maybe alter one of the open source ones to work with a jailbroken iPhone.

I'm not all to keen on iTunes right now either. It's altogether slow and in my case the combination of iTunes + iPhone plus the combination of hardware that I have on my machine brings the machine to a screeching hault. (20 seconds for every request to the hard drive). No thank you.

Peregrine

Jun 29, 2007
Not to even mention the restriction to ONLY being able to use your iPod on 5 computers.
Not to even mention if you hook an iPod to a 'strange' computer it will wipe your songs. Lame....
I can hook my DAP (the real term for these devices, btw... DIGITAL AUDIO PLAYER) to any computer any time with no restrictions, no marrying to the computer, no REGISTER ME! crap to deal with.
Just the old familiar Windows USB sound DU-DOO.
I am very anti-proprietary anything. They had to create their own DRM... weak. I can download free audio books from my public library through their website.

Best Library in the Country

Awwww... sorry iPod owners:

Why can't I transfer OverDrive Audio Book titles directly to my iPod, or use these files on my Mac?

OverDrive Audio Book titles, provided by OverDrive, Inc., use DRM protection technology from Microsoft Corporation. Unfortunately the iPod and Mac do not currently support DRM-protected Windows Media Audio (WMA) files.
(//y'know... like EVERY other device on the planet does?//)

OverDrive, along with hundreds of online digital media providers, is hopeful that Apple and Microsoft can reach an agreement that would enable support for Microsoft-based DRM-protected materials on the iPod and Mac.

Had to get me started, didn't you? ;)

The ONLY iPod I would own is a Rockboxed iPod.

http://www.rockbox.org

escoffie

Sep 25, 2008
Sorry for resurrecting this old post, but, i'm with Wildonrio. iTunes is a very bad piece of software. Maybe it really does the things in a logicall way (at least logicall for iTMS to get the permissions from the recod companies to sell music), but against my logic.
Logically, the iPod family works better with iTunes on a Mac, but maybe i would like to choose, i don't want anything imposed (talking about the vicious feature of iTunes to rename files, and that nasty "unknown artist" folder, as much as to get a new computer, a Mac, in order to make my iPhone 3G work smoothly). Besides, in my country there isn't a iTMS where to fetch the album art. I hate that! Besides, maybe iTunes works smoothly on a Mac, but 70Mb of memory on Windows! Not even the Windows Media Player! I really like to get an alternative for iTunes. I'm not interested on jailbreaking mine, nor on remove copy protection from tracks, nor on share pirate music. All I want is an app that let me order my music the way i want without that nasty duplicates and without that exagerated 70Mb memory usage.
Any alternatives?

captaincore

Bronze
Sep 13, 2008
www.cultofiphone.org
if you use anything other than iTunes to sync your iPhone you will definitely run into incompatibilities/bugs/issues. be safe and just use iTunes.

or, if you hate iTunes that much. just get a Zune and use Windows Media Player instead. :)