Alternatives to iTunes?

SwingOnThis

Bronze
Feb 29, 2008
I'm new to the iPhone and Mac world in general, and i was wondering that if there is another site where i can buy videos and import them into my iTunes for syncing w/ my phone. iTunes video selection isn't all that extensive.

michael180

Zealot
Gold
Jun 14, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA
moderntimes.com
I'm new to the iPhone and Mac world in general, and i was wondering that if there is another site where i can buy videos and import them into my iTunes for syncing w/ my phone. iTunes video selection isn't all that extensive.
Depending on the type of music you like, there is eMusic.

https://www.emusic.com/

I like it, but I like some very esoteric stuff. :)

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Never used anything other than iTunes, and I don't see a reason to.

- John

shawn

Bronze
Oct 11, 2007
One day, in the not too distant future........

Mac engineers are working to perfect a forward thinking concept called "drag & drop". Using this simple mechanism, combined with another futuristic technology called "plug & play", users will be able to simply plug their ipod/iPhone into their computer to transfer files to the storage media within the device.

It's in Steve Jobs' Last Will and Testament that this will be done only after his passing away.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
How about the iTunes store being limited and more expensive than alternatives.
It's never failed me on a quest to find a song, and $0.99 if fine with me. Plus the whole thing goes along with the seamlessness of Mac, iPhone, iTunes, etc. However, I would like to get some Beatles music on there.

- John

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
You can try Songbird. I haven't tried it myself yet, but I hear it's pretty nice and should sync with your iPod as well.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I too would like to see this. We may get our wish soon.
If you remember, the September event that cut the iPhone price and introduced 1.11 was - before it happened - thought to be an event to introduce Beatles music on iTunes as the invitations said 'The beat goes on.'

- John

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Absolutely. I think artists should be paid for their work, just like developers should be.

- John

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
If you remember, the September event that cut the iPhone price and introduced 1.11 was - before it happened - thought to be an event to introduce Beatles music on iTunes as the invitations said 'The beat goes on.'

- John
Exactly right. I had forgotten about that.

SwingOnThis

Bronze
Feb 29, 2008
Another question i have for the itunes-savvy folks here (bear with me for being long-winded):

I have iTunes downloaded on my home and work computer. I ripped my CDs and DVDs onto my home iTunes. I recently bought a TV show episode on my work iTunes, and when i tried to sync it, it wouldn't let me unselect my music. Is there a way to do this? I physically uncheck it, but when i try to sync at work it tells me that it's going to erase it. It lets me uncheck my contacts and photos, but for some reason the music and video are tied together.

Is there a way that i can buy something from iTunes on one computer, and have it appear in the iTunes on another computer? You would think you could, since i'm signed in under the same user name.

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
@ john .. I agree we should pay for music that is cool.. But a cd cost 10 bucks at the sotre and you get album cover a cd and the case. When we buy it from iTunes and we only get files and all their rules as to where we can play them and all that .. I just think that they should be cheaper that's all..since they are just files....

But since I have a of of iTunes money I will continue to use iTunes regardless..

chrismmm

Silver
Dec 27, 2007
Gwinnett, Georgia
but back to the OP issue! IMHO..there are no good alternatives to iTunes that are as good as iTunes. I have tried songbird and its ok, i still use winamp to convert stuff but there are no good alternatives to iTunes that i am aware of. And for video use and sharing iTunes may not be your best offer anyway unless you want to start collecting them. There are actually a bunch of nice hacks out there to renting movies..but thats another post, thread.
Good luck though and hope you find something to fit your needs.