Aluminium Metal Case

Discussion in 'iPhone Cases and Accessories' started by sgxa, Nov 18, 2012.

1. sgxa

sgxa New Member

Some of aluminium casing design for iPhone5. Sorry no links :D

Draco Design 5

ElementCase Sector 5

iSkin Aura

Cygnett UrbanShield

Pinlo Consize Metal II

Arachnophobia

Taktik 5

2. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

I will never understand wrapping aluminum around the iPhone. If you drop it, it gets scratched and dinged, and looks like crap from that point forward. Plus I cannot see how aluminum is going to provide better shock absorption than plastic or rubber.
    If you never drop your phone, then there is no need for a case. If you do, then why not get some thing that offers more protection at a fraction of the cost?

3. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

I still want one. :D

4. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

Draco Design 5...looks cool!

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Because they aren't stylish. If I wanted the most protective case out there, I'd spend less and get an Otterbox or something similar, but I don't like the bulk or how they look.

I'm not sure about the others, but Element cases have shock absorbing liners. In addition to that, the Sector 5 comes with rash guards for extra protection against scratches.

My 4S took two hard hits while it was in a Vapor Comp and the phone was fine. One was on concrete and the other was on tile. The aluminum Element case, however, got scuffed on the concrete and got a dent from the tile. Overall, I think the case still looked really good. Anyway, other cases get dings and scratches from impact too. That being said, I'm aware they aren't highly protective, but they do provide some protection.

Also, the Vapor Comp had absolutely no impact on signal strength. I'm not sure about the Sector 5 since I don't have it yet.

image.jpg

6. Ohmster

Ohmster Member
    Silver

Oh, no! Why did you bring up the Draco! It is sweet. But Iv'e got an Element Sector 5 on it's way already....

7. nealh

nealh Contributor
    Silver

Wow, very nice but these cases are very expensive

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Eh. I don't like the look of the Draco at all, but it's better than the Arachnophobia, which is one of the strangest looking cases I've ever seen. I guess they were trying for a layered spiderweb look. They tried waaaay too hard - just like the designers who made the new Slingbox.

9. fanboy

fanboy Member
    Bronze

I have the taktik case, the aluminum does not touch the phone. Its on the outside portions of the case.

10. Ohmster

Ohmster Member
    Silver

Element S5 is designed in a similar fashion. Aluminum side rails do not touch body. I don't think top and bottom do either, but hard to tell.

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The inner liner prevents aluminum on aluminum.

12. Ohmster

Ohmster Member
    Silver

Are you referring to the adhesive liner that you add to the phone or the ones pre-adhered to rails? If former some may choose not to use the liner in which case it may touch. For latter, I did not look at it that closely, but will next time I remove for cleaning. I know that the 'flex joints' which are non metal maintain constant contact. I can also say with confidence the side rails flex and do not touch unless forced or under impact. The top and bottom seem to be rigid.

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

No. I was referring to the inner liner that's part of the case.

14. Ohmster

Ohmster Member
    Silver

Then I believe you to be correct in your initial assertion about contact.