Aluminum or Plastic?

Do You Prefer the Aluminum v1 or Plastic v2 iPhone?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Greetings Forum Members,
I was recently at an Apple Store. I really like the white v2 iPhone. The black iPhone was sexy to, but to many smudges.

My problem is this. I want to upgrade to the v2 white iPhone, but I love my current v1 aluminum back. I could just add a white iPhone to my account, but I already have four phones (from various carriers). As much of a tech junkie as I am. I certainly do not need another cell phone. That being said, if I were to purchase the v2 iPhone, it would have to replace my v1.

My question is this. How are v1 owners that upgraded to v2 iPhone, liking plastic over aluminum? Did you keep your v1 iPhone, because you liked aluminum better than plastic? Also, feel free to give your thoughts on the aluminum or plastic iPhone....Mark

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
I love the aluminum backing of the v1. But with the 3g, I understand that it provides way better reception.
Plus it feels great in your hand, due to the new shape.
I would say go with the 3g. A lot of the new apps that will use internet will be at their best on the 3g network. GPS turn by turn is a plus. The backing should be the least of your problems. If you like the new features of the 3g, by all means go for it! Good luck!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Since I use a case, I wouldn't be overly concerned either way regarding looks. I like my aluminum for its protection and heat dispersion. But plastic would be great for the weight factor and also reception. I also like a uniform color to the back... the plastic antenna cover on the V1 always looked odd to me. But again, case... problem solved.

Sorry, I'm no help.

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
I'm a big fan of the aluminum back. It feels significantly more sturdy to me. I don't know much about the actual stability of the plastic (heard there were cases of cracking?), but like someone said i understand why the'd go plastic if it effects the reception.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I actually prefer the plastic now, even though I don't yet have an iPhone 3G. I've used one in the AT&T store and it is a lot easier to hold than the V1 iPhone; much less slippery. Also, I'm sure it provides for a stronger connection.

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Plastic. I always thought the aluminum looked kind of tacky. Especially since there was black plastic at the bottom. Most had a case for it so you really didn't see it anyway.

With a plastic back, it's actually a little lighter even though there's more stuff crammed in there. Like others have said it doesn't block reception as much and the plastic feels really great in your hand.

I'm sure the aluminum is better with drops though. There was a guy in the iPhone 3G line who could actually slam down his v1 and it's still okay. I hate when he does that. :)

Elbacanazo920

Bronze
Dec 23, 2007
Bronx, NY
I like the Aluminum just because My phone feels safer. The shape of the 3G and the plastic back does feel comfortable, but I'm more about protection.

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California
I prefer the look and feel of the plastic back. As Linc said, it's definitely less slippery in your hand. I am more worried about dropping it, but that's primarily because it feels so sleek and sexy naked that I haven't wanted to put it in a case.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
I was a little worried about the plastic prior to buying v2 because I really liked the v1 back. But to tell you the truth, I love the look of my white iPhone but in all reality. I ALWAYS have a case on my iPhone so when it comes down to it that part didn't make a difference. All I can say is I love the look of the new phone and I am loving the 3g, I feel my calls are better(great reception) and clearer, in areas I couldn't use AT&T before (my mom's house because she lives very close to mountains) I can use the phone now there no problem, thats the bottom line for me.

prijikn

Aug 8, 2008
The aluminum dented too easy. I think the plastic will fare better long term.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i'm keeping my alumiPhone as long as possible. Plastic is just so... ugh.

elementdc5

Jul 23, 2007
didn't like it when i picked up my friends 3g phone. felt pretty cheap.

reas0n

Silver
Jul 1, 2007
Stamford, CT
www.ohitsjustpete.com
i like the plastic back more like prijikn said the aluminum dented too easily and it fealt cheaper to me for some reason...the black plastic is so sexy and the white one is like its slighty less sexy twin sister...when i hold the 3g in my hand it actually feels like a phone to me as with the v1 felt like a brick with round edges

lady_bugz22

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
DFW, TX
I'm w/Dave on this one. I prefer the aluminum for the looks but like the light weight of the plastic.

gotzaiPhone

Zealot
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
I love my 3G. The faster internet and GPS rock and I use it every day, but I sure do miss the aluminum back. It didn't crack, there were no scratches on it and no dents either. My plastic back is full of scratches, has one crack and I got light shinning through the bezel (i know, not back related). Only if they could have put all the 3G goodness into the v1 case :(

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
I like plastic and aluminum... I use shields on mine so I can't feel them anyways. Dig the look of aluminum but the shape they made plastic feels better.