am i a fanboy or just smart?

Marty Mar

Bronze
Jul 7, 2008
Cortland Ohio
i never understood the mac/Apple/OSX obsession. my friends are for the most part graphic designers and general computer nerds. the graphic designing side of my friends have been running macs from day one. but when my "general computer nerd" friends all switched over to macs i was a little blown away. i eventually paid it no mind.

after the launch of the first iPhone, i was already with AT&T and started playing with it when i was in the store. i kept thinking "this is cool, but its not doing anything my htc 8525 isn't doing. it just looks really cool". well after going through 3 micro-usb to 3.5mm adapters for my htc phone (and word of a 3g iPhone) i thought i'd take the plung. (for years and years my phone has been more of a music player anyways, it makes sense).

i get the iPhone 3g and love it. within weeks i realize that i was jumping through hoops to do ANYTHING on my htc phone (and realized it did do something my htc phone didn't do... WORK.. ALL THE TIME). all my friends started telling me THATS how macs are compared to windows pcs. so i start looking into them.

a couple of months ago i picked up a 17inch macbook pro (out of box at best buy for $1500 :p ). i was assuming there would be some crazy learning curve. but the only learning curve was UNLEARNING WINDOWS lol. once i realized using Finder and Spotlight will get me anything i want... i was pretty much a power user. they are pathetically easy to use and astronomically more stable and generally "faster" than any pc i ever used.

before i know it, i've got a time machine, an airport extreme, a couple of airport express' (and have iTunes running out of every sound system in my home), and i'm still using music production software via windows and vmware fusion (the real joke here is that xp runs better on a macbook pro WITHIN OSX, than it ever did on a dedicated machine!).

i'm starting to feel like i can only trust the Apple name (or Apple endorsed) products. all the Apple/mac products i have are rock solid stable. and you just plug them in and they work. it just seems smart to pay more for stability and ease of use if "computing" is important to you. lol, just streaming iTunes through separate stereo systems and using the "remote" app on the iPhone to control everything is amazing and worth the price of an airport express!

is this normal?

did you have an experience like this? if so, elaborate please. i'd love to hear it.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
The HTC 8525 is one hell of an ugly phone. I had the newer version of it, Tytn II (since 8252 is the Tytn version of AT&T) and it was a mess. The touch screen is not as good as the iPhone's, especially since it requires using a stylus and also because the screen isn't very responsive and letters are too small to type accurately. I doubt the Tytn can be compared to even the earliest version of iPhones, v1. Believe me, HTC phones aren't good, I've used about four of them to tell; I know that's not a lot of phones I used but I used like the touch screen ones, qwerty keyboard (blackberry alike) ones, etc. so I pretty much tried it all.

The only good HTC I ever used is the HTC Touch Pro, which is a damn impressing and good looking phone.

iCafe

Dec 11, 2007
www.wwtdd.com
I am in the same boat as you, I am slowly realizing Apple just makes superior products than most pc makers.
My next PC is going to be a Mac , Perhaps a MBA

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
I keep trying to tell everybody who knows anything much about computers this!
And then this 6th former (quite a 'nerd' tbh, but makes hundreds a month hosting and providing domains...lucky guy) that goes to my school and gets my bus used to sit on his hp laptop, or O2 XDA, and I talked to him about macs several times. He had the same stereotypical view of 'Windows rox...Mac sux..." that most people have for some non-existent reason.

He got an iPod Touch not long after....followed by a black MacBook.......then an iPhone 3G....then recently a new MacBook Pro...before he knew it he's replaced everything in his life with Apple products.......I still can't stop thinking I told you so when i see him on that Pro. :D

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
is this normal?

did you have an experience like this? if so, elaborate please. i'd love to hear it.
Same thing happened with me. Always tired of Windows and the bad experiences with crashing, freezing, etc. Got my v.1 iPhone on iDay, tried a mac, loved it so I got an iMac, then a macbook, then got tired of my Belkin router, so I got an Airport extreme. Hooked on macs now!

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
I started with an iMac, and then it's been downhill since. I've owned every laptop except the 17" MBP. To break that down: I've owned 2 15" MBP's, 2 Air's, 1 BlackBook, 1 WhiteBook, and now I have the 13" MBP. I've also owned a 4GB V1, 8GB V1, 16GB White 3G, and now a 32GB Black 3GS. The list goes one - Airport Extreme Base Station, Airport Express, and an AppleTv.

Holy **** I have a lot of Apple stuff...

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
OKay okay.....a 6th form college is a college inside a secondary school...so a 6th formER is a member of the 6th form college at my school.

Also, 'TBH' means to be honest..... sorry iCafe I forgot you still patrol these streets with your grammafication ;)

iCafe

Dec 11, 2007
www.wwtdd.com
OKay okay.....a 6th form college is a college inside a secondary school...so a 6th formER is a member of the 6th form college at my school.

Also, 'TBH' means to be honest..... sorry iCafe I forgot you still patrol these streets with your grammafication ;)
You mean a 6th grader? ::throws some teabags in the hudson river::

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
I've been.....several times....I love it......I also love Thailand....so when I'm a millionaire I've decided im going to have several different houses in different locations around the world :D

iCafe

Dec 11, 2007
www.wwtdd.com
I've been.....several times....I love it......I also love Thailand....so when I'm a millionaire I've decided im going to have several different houses in different locations around the world :D
I was just joking with ya, what do you love about thailand?

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
I don't know....the lifestyle....the country just has a feel to it? Hard to describe....and everyone there is just so nice lol :) I really do love it there.