Am I able to keep my unlimited grandfathered AT&T unlimited data preordering online tomorrow?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by Jesse Gonzalez, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Jesse Gonzalez

Jesse Gonzalez New Member

I have heard rumors not to order online if you still have unlimited data from AT&T for being grandfathered in. Many have said that they will try and suck you out of it and put you on the mobile share program. I haven't had any problems in the past where once I select my phone, my unlimited data plan comes up as a selection for data. Will I not see that tomorrow? If I don't, what should I pick? Will AT&T remove my unlimited plan if I select something else? Any thoughts on this would be great. Thanks!

2. psylichon

psylichon Genius

Nothing should change from previous years. But if it does, I wouldn't select anything other than an unlimited plan if you intend to keep it.

3. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

It will stick. It's not truly unlimited. It'll jump from 3GB to 5GB. Anything past that will result in throttling and a note from AT&T about possibly switching to a different plan.

4. jford951

jford951 Member
    Bronze

If u have unlimited with a iPhone 5 and AT&T but no LTE near me do I still get 5gb

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

5. llrickman

llrickman Contributor
    Silver

I was thinking about switching to Verizon seeing there is no LTE in New Mexico with att but i dunno. With att i keep my so called unlimited but i don't think ive ever approached 5gb

I just don't know what to do. I am not up for a full upgrade i'll have to pay the 250+ the 299 for a 32gb I'll probably end up waiting for a while on this one :(

6. Girdler

Girdler Contributor
    Bronze

7. trnsilver

trnsilver Zealot
    Gold

Here's my one question about this. Isn't the "unlimited" plan specifically for 3G speeds? They will let you carry it over but will it allow you to transfer data at 4G LTE speeds with that plan? That could be a catch.

8. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

The unlimited is for all phones. When they announced the throttling it was 3GB for 3G & 5GB for 4g.

9. trnsilver

trnsilver Zealot
    Gold

Thanks. Thought it might be restrictive in some way.

10. Jesse Gonzalez

Jesse Gonzalez New Member

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions! I was able to preorder for delivery next Friday and it still had my unlimited data plan! I am excited for the LTE that I will be getting and even though I have unlimited, I usually have my phone on wifi at work and at home so I never risk going over the throttle threshold.

11. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

I got to keep it I just went back to look at my order at Apple.com and it says right there
    $30 unlimited
    I actually may switch to a family plan after all
    I will look at the data usage again in October when we buy sons phone ........He is the unlimited user.

12. tpeter

tpeter Member
    Bronze

nothing is unlimted.. anytime i went over 3gigs in a month i would get a text saying they were cutting my speeds in half... then i call and they tell me they can do that its in my contract... then proceed to try and upgrade me.

13. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

When I added the iPhone 5 to my cart, my voice, unlimited data, and messaging plan are still there. There is also an edit button to change any of these...NOT!

14. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

yes nothing changed as long as you don't touch anything.

15. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

I have unlimited on my phone but I'm using another line to upgrade which has the 2GB plan. When I go to preorder it changes me to something else & the current plan on it is not an option.

16. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

AT&T allows upgrades to keep their unlimited plans, but may indeed throttle them. Verizon forces users with an unlimited plan to select 2GB @$30, 5GB @ $50 or 10GB @ $80 plan. This is accurate per my upgrades of phones at both carriers this morning.

17. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

The line I was using to upgrade at AT&T has a 2GB plan & it switched me to some sort of 200mb LTE plan. I'm just going in next Friday & they will take care of it.

18. BigCiX

BigCiX Zealot
    Gold

I just preordered the wifey a 16gb (white) version via AT&T and it still list it as unlimited.