Am I Missing Something Here?

Discussion in 'Apple TV' started by dturner, Nov 18, 2011.

1. dturner

dturner Zealot
    Gold

I was set to get Apple TV for Christmas. So I started looking around at some of the newer movies to get an idea of cost but instead something else caught my eye. Several of the movies I looked up were either not available in HD or if they were HD it is for rental only. What's up with this? If I'm going to do this I want to be able to buy,not rent, HD versions of a movie.

Sent from my iPad using iCafe app

2. psylichon

psylichon Genius

ATV is really set up as a rental machine with no built-in storage. You can always purchase your movies elsewhere and import/convert them into iTunes for streaming to your ATV.

3. MNJON

MNJON Member
    Bronze

What is the best/easiest program to convert store bought movies (DVD's) to import them to iTunes and then to my ipad or iPhone?

4. dturner

dturner Zealot
    Gold

Thanks Dave. Didn't realize it was geared toward rentals.
    I already have a nice blu-ray DVD player so I see no need for ATV. I can see its purpose if a person leans more to renting than buying though.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

5. dturner

dturner Zealot
    Gold

Handbrake.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

6. psylichon

psylichon Genius

You can think of it as a cheap way to get into a HTPC setup. If you keep movies on your phone or iTunes, it's an easy wireless interface to get it on the big screen. I have a couple HTPCs so the ATV is a bit redundant for me.

7. Woofus

Woofus Member
    Silver

I got my Apple TV a month or so ago and LOVE IT!

Aside from being able to watch my iTunes stuff on it, I can watch my collection of saved web videos, podcast & keynote addresses on "The Big TV". I've also ripped a few DVDs for it and they look good as well.

Another thing that I love about it is, I can play my music through the stereo now. Used to be I'd burn a CD and play it through the DVD player, or just play it on the computer and turn it up loud.

I don't have broadband at the house, so I can't take advantage of the online stuff, but it makes for a great media streamer for me. I've even added an extra 1Tb drive into the PC so I can load up more stuff. :)

What it ultimately comes down to is, will it do what YOU want it to do.

8. hustle

hustle New Member

just jailbreak your Apple tv. set up xbmc and never rent another movie again. infact you can even cancel cable

9. Tara Vance

Tara Vance New Member

What is xbmc?

10. lemoon

lemoon Member
    Bronze