Am I permanently screwed?

jains712

Dec 28, 2007
So I took my iPhone to the Apple store today and some of the people that worked there were trying to help me get my phone to work again.

I am an AT&T customer and bought the phone about a month after it came out. I thought that I had to unlock it to get third party apps onto the phone, so I went ahead and did that- and jailbroke it i guess? I had the 3rd party apps on there, but then accidentally upgraded to 1.1.1 when that came out which "bricked" (i think) my phone and made it inoperable.

I have been following guides to jailbreak, unlock, virginize, downgrade, upgrade and I eventually got access to the springboard on 1.1.1 with the new iTunes icon and stuff- but it said "Incorrect SIM" and I was unable to make calls.

I just got back from the Apple store and they restored the phone for me and updated it to 1.1.2- however the "Incorrect SIM" error still appeared, and were unable to help me further. They told me I was permanently screwed. :-(

They couldnt help me further because of the IMP number or something that told them that the firmware was tampered with?

I really don't know what to do. I'm hoping someone on here can help me out. I really really do appreciate any help you guys can give me.

Thanks

jains712

Dec 28, 2007
So I took my iPhone to the Apple store today and some of the people that worked there were trying to help me get my phone to work again.

I am an AT&T customer and bought the phone about a month after it came out. I thought that I had to unlock it to get third party apps onto the phone, so I went ahead and did that- and jailbroke it i guess? I had the 3rd party apps on there, but then accidentally upgraded to 1.1.1 when that came out which "bricked" (i think) my phone and made it inoperable.

I have been following guides to jailbreak, unlock, virginize, downgrade, upgrade and I eventually got access to the springboard on 1.1.1 with the new iTunes icon and stuff- but it said "Incorrect SIM" and I was unable to make calls.

I just got back from the Apple store and they restored the phone for me and updated it to 1.1.2- however the "Incorrect SIM" error still appeared, and were unable to help me further. They told me I was permanently screwed. :-(

They couldnt help me further because of the IMP number or something that told them that the firmware was tampered with?

I really don't know what to do. I'm hoping someone on here can help me out. I really really do appreciate any help you guys can give me.

Thanks

bigmac

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
Los Angeles
I would try a new sim from ATT. They give them out at the store... I am sure someone here can point you in the right direction...

Nov 24, 2007
think they proably tryed that at the store, atleast i'd hope so

viperguy212

Bronze
Nov 19, 2007
heres a possibility that i can think of that you might be able to do, but keep in mind this is purely a guess and "might" work or might not

i would at your current stage:
-use the guides and what not to downgradge to 1.1.1
-jailbreak
-then try running the anySIM app

maybe that will solve the problem

iCafe

Dec 11, 2007
www.wwtdd.com
Hello sir
this isn't exactly ethical but if I were in your situation I would fry the iPhone with high voltage tampering and get a new one from my 1 year warranty and I would adimitly deny any previous mid's if the subject cake up at the Apple stores
just my 2cents
good day

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC

Thanks
search for "virginize"... i'm pretty sure that's what you need to do.

gcvt

Zealot
Gold
Jun 21, 2007
San Francisco
search for "virginize"... i'm pretty sure that's what you need to do.
Sounds like they already tried that...?

"I have been following guides to jailbreak, unlock, virginize, downgrade, upgrade and I eventually got access to the springboard on 1.1.1 with the new iTunes icon and stuff- but it said "Incorrect SIM" and I was unable to make calls."

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA

Thanks
I would try the software forum. This forum is more for general iPhone questions while that forum is for hacking and unlocking questions.

Khris

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Hello sir
this isn't exactly ethical but if I were in your situation I would fry the iPhone with high voltage tampering and get a new one from my 1 year warranty and I would adimitly deny any previous mid's if the subject cake up at the Apple stores
just my 2cents
good day
It's not ethical by ANY stretch of the imagination. Why do people always resort to underhanded tactics to get out of a situation they themselves (potentially) caused?

I'm in Canada and I've had to unlock/jailbreak my iPhone so I can use it. If something happens to it, I've accepted the fact that I'm screwed and will have to buy a new iPhone (or wait until it's finally released in Canada).

Are people's morals so poor that actions like this actually seem plausible?

To the OP, as others have suggested, search on how to Virginize your phone. The symptoms sound like that's what you need to do. Good luck.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
It's not ethical by ANY stretch of the imagination. Why do people always resort to underhanded tactics to get out of a situation they themselves (potentially) caused?

I'm in Canada and I've had to unlock/jailbreak my iPhone so I can use it. If something happens to it, I've accepted the fact that I'm screwed and will have to buy a new iPhone (or wait until it's finally released in Canada).

Are people's morals so poor that actions like this actually seem plausible?

To the OP, as others have suggested, search on how to Virginize your phone. The symptoms sound like that's what you need to do. Good luck.

Where is the Police when you need them. We had a security guy...Chris617...but then sadly he was banned.

The holidays will soon be over and then Chris must decide if he can come back to the forum. He was a very smart 16 year old.:)

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I know that the OP mentioned it in his post, but he really needs to run revirginizer on his phone correctly. Downgrade back to 1.1.1 and then re-virginize, and then carefuly take it from there.

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
Where is the Police when you need them. We had a security guy...Chris617...but then sadly he was banned.

The holidays will soon be over and then Chris must decide if he can come back to the forum. He was a very smart 16 year old.:)
716 :p

tiguy99

Bronze
Nov 28, 2007
Chicago
Hello sir
just my 2cents
good day
Only problem...they probably have a notation of his previous visit...so potentially not only would he be without support, but he'd be out 400 bucks. iCafe I was in your shoes...there's a guide here that says accidentally upgraded to 1.1.2 by Chris 716...find that and follow it. It should get you out of your jam. If you haven't fixed your phone by now and need some help, PM me and I'll guide you through.

On my way to 1.1.2 I had a mishap like this too. But with patience I got out of the jam I was in. Hell I even had my iPhone freeze while virginizing...leaving me with an iPhone needs repair please contact Apple message constantly flashing....if I can get out of that there's hope for you too!

There are a couple specific guides I had to follow in order to come out of that jam and if you still need some help I'd be happy to assist. It'll take about an hour fully but you should be all set and back up and running in no time