Am I safe to upgrade to 1.1.1?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

falsetigerlimbs

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
Hi, I am still using 1.0.2 and have installed AppTapp and several other programs using AppTapp. I now want to restore and upgrade to 1.1.1; is it reasonably safe for me to do this? Is there a best way to go about it?

I did some searching of the forums and one person said it's best to restore first and then update, but I thought that restoring and updating were one step? I didn't think you could restore without also updating.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I am really afraid of doing this incorrectly and bricking my phone. :(

DeathBySnuggles

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Tampa, Fl
DON'T DO IT!

I absolutely HATE 1.1.1. The phone is so jerky. I have to fight with my SMS to get it to work. Most of the time it freezes while opening and goes back to the home screen. We do this dance 2 or 3 times, then it goes into the lock screen and when i unlock it, it's fine. Same thing happens with mail and safari. This update sucks! 1.0.2 (or 1.0.1) was all we ever needed!

That's just my opinion.

akophone

Bronze
Aug 1, 2007
And here I am, not wanting to be left behind, was finally considering the update. Mostly, I've heard by reading many threads that given the improved jailbreaking methods and the availability of supported apps vial Installer 3, it might be a good time to migrate...

I do think I'll be doing this eventually so that the developers can concentrate on making apps solely for the current FW and not waste their time catering to the mighty 1.0.2.

Then again, maybe I should wait 'til Leopard makes its debut and see what, if anything, changes that will affect 1.1.1..... But for now, 1.0.2 still rules for me......

falsetigerlimbs

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
Thanks for the responses :laugh2:

No, my phone isn't unlocked. The only thing I've done to it is installed AppTapp and other programs through AppTapp.

I'm a bit confused by your response though, Snuggles, because it seems like other people here who have got AppTapp/Installer working with 1.1.1 find it to be better than 1.0.2.

What made me want to update was just that I'm having lots of glitches with Safari closing in 1.0.2, and when I updated Installer a couple of days ago it said it worked best with 1.1.1. I have wanted to update since it came out really...the only thing stopping me was that Installer wasn't working with 1.1.1, but I guess it does now.

[edit]
Well, I just read this topic:
http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/1-1-1-issues.13347/
and that pretty much makes me want to hold off on the update. Battery life is really important to me, because I mainly use my phone for the internet while at school, and I can't always charge my battery.

I'm just concerned that if I hold off for too long, I'll never be able to update without my phone getting bricked.

Last edited by a moderator:

papabro

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
MA
Thanks for the responses :laugh2:

No, my phone isn't unlocked. The only thing I've done to it is installed AppTapp and other programs through AppTapp.

I'm a bit confused by your response though, Snuggles, because it seems like other people here who have got AppTapp/Installer working with 1.1.1 find it to be better than 1.0.2.

What made me want to update was just that I'm having lots of glitches with Safari closing in 1.0.2, and when I updated Installer a couple of days ago it said it worked best with 1.1.1. I have wanted to update since it came out really...the only thing stopping me was that Installer wasn't working with 1.1.1, but I guess it does now.

[edit]
Well, I just read this topic:
and that pretty much makes me want to hold off on the update. Battery life is really important to me, because I mainly use my phone for the internet while at school, and I can't always charge my battery.

I'm just concerned that if I hold off for too long, I'll never be able to update without my phone getting bricked.

From my own experience, I can say I have no real issues with 1.1.1. Wifi and my battery work fine. I am not sure I would base my decision on such a small thread. If there was a real widespread problem with wifi and the battery, that thread would be huge. It could be the next installer update won't work at all in 1.0.2 and then where will you be?

falsetigerlimbs

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
From my own experience, I can say I have no real issues with 1.1.1. Wifi and my battery work fine. I am not sure I would base my decision on such a small thread. If there was a real widespread problem with wifi and the battery, that thread would be huge. It could be the next installer update won't work at all in 1.0.2 and then where will you be?
Argh, thanks.
I'm so conflicted lol.

I'll let you all know what I decide and how it goes, in case my experience helps other people decide also.

akophone

Bronze
Aug 1, 2007
Actually, a surprisingly high number of users are reporting significantly shorter battery life after applying the iPhone firmware/software 1.1.1 update.

But thanks to this excellent troubleshooting article, one can correct this problem.

Also included are some guides and tips related to 1.1.1.

falsetigerlimbs

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
Actually, a surprisingly high number of users are reporting significantly shorter battery life after applying the iPhone firmware/software 1.1.1 update.

But thanks to this excellent troubleshooting article, one can correct this problem.

Also included are some guides and tips related to 1.1.1.
Hey, thanks for that article. That seems really helpful. :)
I actually managed to restore and update my phone successfuly, and if I notice any battery/WiFi problems that article will probably help me.

One question though: Is the below article still valid for installing Installer?

I went through all the steps, and everything seemed to work, but I got no icon. =/

I might restore again and try it once more. hmm