Am I SOL?

Aug 8, 2007
So I bought my iPhone 1G in July 2007. Today the bottom part of the touchscreen is not working. I tried resetting and restoring, but still no luck. Is there anything I can do short of buying a new phone?:(

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
You should at least take it in to an Apple store if you can to see what they could do. They might be able to offer you a repair that's cheaper than buying a new one. You could get their repair quote and check around first to see if it would be cheaper to do it yourself or send it somewhere to get it replaced. Here's an example of a 3rd-party repair option to get a new screen (never used them myself, just Googled them a minute ago), so there are options out there.

Aug 8, 2007
Thanks macgirl. I just made an appointment at the Genius bar for tomorrow afternoon. I'll see what they say....

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
The prognosis is not good, but Apple might hook you up... good luck, and let us know how it goes...

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
one of my friends had this happen to his. he took it in to the genius bar and they told him there was nothing they could do as he was out of his warranty. if this is indeed what they tell you, i would recommend either selling it for parts to someone (to put towards a new iPhone), trying to replace the screen, or another fun option that i won't mention at this point in time :)

Aug 8, 2007
PepeRB29, thats exactly what they told me....I'm out of warranty and have to pay $200 for a replacement. I'm probably going to sell this one on ebay and wait for the new iPhone to come out :(. I'm curious to see how much I'll get for it....

Thanks for the comments.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
^just don't tell anyone the screen doesn't work, leave it as a big surprise for them :)

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
You should at least take it in to an Apple store if you can to see what they could do. They might be able to offer you a repair that's cheaper than buying a new one. You could get their repair quote and check around first to see if it would be cheaper to do it yourself or send it somewhere to get it replaced. Here's an example of a 3rd-party repair option to get a new screen (never used them myself, just Googled them a minute ago), so there are options out there.
most likely, Apple will offer you a refurbished iPhone v1 for $250.

i would just get the 3G again.

Aug 8, 2007
So after looking into my problem more thoroughly I discovered that there is a software fix. It involves jailbreaking the phone and modifying some *.plist files in order to manually change the sensitivity of the touchscreen using the openSSH app. After toying with this all morning I have a fully functional phone! The only annoyance is that I have to tap slightly above the desired location on the touchscreen. But I think this will be okay until the new iPhone comes out next month:)

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
It's the Guy Fawkes mask from "V For Vendetta."

I remember celebrating Guy Fawkes Day as a kid in England. We'd shoot off fireworks, burn an effigy of Guy Fawkes ("The Guy") and generally have a lot of fun...:)
I knew I had see it somewhere. At first I was thinking the Saw movies,but decided that wasn't right.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
So after looking into my problem more thoroughly I discovered that there is a software fix. It involves jailbreaking the phone and modifying some *.plist files in order to manually change the sensitivity of the touchscreen using the openSSH app. After toying with this all morning I have a fully functional phone! The only annoyance is that I have to tap slightly above the desired location on the touchscreen. But I think this will be okay until the new iPhone comes out next month:)
very good info, if you have time it would be great if you would write up a how to or maybe make a video for youtube on how or what you did, it could definitely help some people in the future :)

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Yeah that's some pretty heavy geekage there.

I would have never guessed you could fix this sort of issue with .plists. Kudos to you!

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
my first V1 iPhone had the top half of the touch screen go bad after i dropped it. no physical damage. ssh wasn't on at the time it broke and there was no way i could turn it on. definitely good info though that will surely help some people in the future.