Am I the only one a little irked?

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
First, let me say, I couldn't care less about MMS. However, A2DP is something I would use on a daily basis. The 3G has been out for nearly a year now. Why the hell wasn't A2DP released on launch? The funny thing is that everyone seems so "thankful" to receive it now I'm not sure anyone has stopped to think about it. Just want to vent a little. I'm kinda pissed that this feature wasn't available back in July. The hardware hasn't changed at all. Seems shady to me.

Note: I am running 3.0 Beta 2.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I feel the same way, Ramesh, except the opposite when it comes to MMS and A2DP. Such things are no brainers, yet where were they at the July release.

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
First, let me say, I couldn't care less about MMS. However, A2DP is something I would use on a daily basis. The 3G has been out for nearly a year now. Why the hell wasn't A2DP released on launch? The funny thing is that everyone seems so "thankful" to receive it now I'm not sure anyone has stopped to think about it. Just want to vent a little. I'm kinda pissed that this feature wasn't available back in July. The hardware hasn't changed at all. Seems shady to me.

I agree, should have been there at launch Anoop....i mean Ramesh, (sorry, you look just like the idol singer)...
along with many other features that got put on hold for some reason.

nyc_rock

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007

Is A2DP working on beta 2?

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
My guess is A2DP is a massive battery drainer. My other theory is that Apple has been "saving" these features to get people to buy into an iPhone. They haven't had ANY trouble selling them and maybe now they're thinking, it's time to add more stuff that will pull more people into the ecosphere. I also wouldn't be surprised if Apple was working on a bluetooth headphone set and now that it's ready, they are enabling A2DP in the iPhone and iPod touch.

Joe

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
I personally don't care about A2DP nor MMS, so I'm neutral on that.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
Do I think most of these features should have been included in the first iPhone? Yes. Am I irked that the software is coming out to fix these "issues"? No, I did my research and made my purchase knowing these things were not included, I also knew I could jailbreak and have most of the features that are becoming available in the update. I did that and have been satisfied with my decision. Now it just means that I may not need to jailbreak to have these features. I do ot find any reason to be mad that the phone is getting features other phones have had for some time, why? Cause I made the decision to buy the phone without those features.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
Do I think most of these features should have been included in the first iPhone? Yes. Am I irked that the software is coming out to fix these "issues"? No, I did my research and made my purchase knowing these things were not included, I also knew I could jailbreak and have most of the features that are becoming available in the update. I did that and have been satisfied with my decision. Now it just means that I may not need to jailbreak to have these features. I do ot find any reason to be mad that the phone is getting features other phones have had for some time, why? Cause I made the decision to buy the phone without those features.
I did too, and that's not my point. My point is that there was no reason that these features weren't enabled before now, other than Apple deciding to do so. I don't want to take this down the path of "you knew what you were buying, blah blah blah blah". Yes, most of us knew what we were/are buying. Still no reason to withhold features just for the hell of it.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I think it's easy to fall into the perception that Apple invents this stuff then just sits on their laurels for months until they deem competition is stiff enough to justify going back to work and inventing something else. Obviously it doesn't work that way, though.

While the BT hardware may have been there since the beginning, it takes software to make it work with the hundreds and thousands of BT devices out there. The iPhone OS is full of time-consuming software projects like this...

I really think Apple does a pretty good job of prioritizing their development. I'm glad they put more effort into making the feature set stable than in adding on new features. 2.2.1 was more important for me than stereo BT. Everyone's priorities are a little different, though.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
I did too, and that's not my point. My point is that there was no reason that these features weren't enabled before now, other than Apple deciding to do so. I don't want to take this down the path of "you knew what you were buying, blah blah blah blah". Yes, most of us knew what we were/are buying. Still no reason to withhold features just for the hell of it.
I didn't really mean it that way, but can easily see how my statement would look like that. I just meant that is why I am not upset and am pretty pleased with the update. I do think Apple wanted to get things as perfect as possible before releasing these things. The fact that most of the features have been used by jailbreaking does show that Apple could have implemented them pretty much at any time.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
I think it's easy to fall into the perception that Apple invents this stuff then just sits on their laurels for months until they deem competition is stiff enough to justify going back to work and inventing something else. Obviously it doesn't work that way, though.

While the BT hardware may have been there since the beginning, it takes software to make it work with the hundreds and thousands of BT devices out there. The iPhone OS is full of time-consuming software projects like this...

I really think Apple does a pretty good job of prioritizing their development. I'm glad they put more effort into making the feature set stable than in adding on new features. 2.2.1 was more important for me than stereo BT. Everyone's priorities are a little different, though.
I get that. But over a year to enable? Seems a little much, IMO. And if you want to talk about priority, what about C&P? Surely that was high ranking for many. Although, I find it annoying having it pop up all the time. I never really needed that... (C&P)

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I think the annoyance factor of the current C+P interface, while minor, is indicative of how difficult it was to implement it into the touchscreen UI effectively and seamlessly. With an OS that doesn't allow background processes, perhaps it was harder to program than we can imagine. Hell, the jailbreaking team only successfuly did it a short while before Apple did.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
I think the annoyance factor of the current C+P interface, while minor, is indicative of how difficult it was to implement it into the touchscreen UI effectively and seamlessly. With an OS that doesn't allow background processes, perhaps it was harder to program than we can imagine. Hell, the jailbreaking team only successfuly did it a short while before Apple did.
I agree C&P was hard to implement. I still don't think it's done properly, IMO, but I think it's the best that can be done at the moment. But the BT thing, I stand by. That could have been rolled out a long time ago.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I've never felt that impatient about the 3 missing features mentioned here - MMS and A2DP because I wouldn't use them much anyway, and C&P because I'd got used to not having it (though now I find it a huge plus).

I think I've always been OK with the idea that - as Dave has said - it's very tough prioritizing features / fixes etc, especially if there seems to be a corporate culture that demands elegance and near-perfection in the implementation of some / all of these things.

The things that irk me more are the things that are already included in the OS, but that need a lot of work. The one that bugs me most, and bugs me a huge amount, is the lack of any less-than-completely-stupid way to arrange and manage apps / home screens ...

scudder

Bronze
Mar 4, 2008
Edinburgh
No No No... I disagree entirely about how Apple prioritise things. They have made a mint out of the iPhone and could have thrown as much resources at making these features available from the outset if that was important to their businesss plan. IMHO and call me cynical, but their businesss plan was to release 'wanted' user interface when the market had eaten up everything they had to offer from their previous offerings. The original iPhone was marketable because it was the first large touch screen device with enough desirability factors to make it a big seller. 3G gave most people the carrot to jump to upgrade - 3G and GPS. Do you honestly think they didn't read that we all wanted full Bluetooth and C&P, of course they did and they put it on the list for firmware 3 for release at the same time as their next version of the iPhone - low and behold, more people will now join the community and ditch their Nokia/RIM, etc. I love their businesss model. Why release the ultimate machine if you can stall and roll out machines as and when the market starts to stagnate. Brrrrrrrilliant! If the competition is lagging behind then once a year is good enough. It is no coincidence that when something is JB Apple jump on it and release it. again IMHO I think as soon as it hits the JB iPhones, Apple announce they will include in the next firmware - C&P, Skype over 3G, etc. Now then, I am ready for the flaming :)

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
My guess is A2DP is a massive battery drainer. My other theory is that Apple has been "saving" these features to get people to buy into an iPhone. They haven't had ANY trouble selling them and maybe now they're thinking, it's time to add more stuff that will pull more people into the ecosphere. I also wouldn't be surprised if Apple was working on a bluetooth headphone set and now that it's ready, they are enabling A2DP in the iPhone and iPod touch.

Joe
Although everyone has made some very valid points, Joe comes closest to my thinking. Every phone in BFE can use BT, but Apple chose to leave this out for reasons only they know. If you remember, Apple discontinued their BT headset not too long ago. I believe there was a good reason for this. As Joe said, they probably have a new one that will be ready about the time 3.0 is released.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
There are a number of substantial and cool things that have been around in the jailbreak arena for ages that Apple has still not embraced - e..g video recording, toggling of services, better camera app / controls, tethering etc.

I know lots of folks will agree it's all a conspiracy / plot by Apple - but I don't feel like that.

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
Apple holding out features to me is irritating, but in all honesty if the original iPhone had all those features...what would we talk about lol