Am I the only one with a perfect new Mac book?

If you have a NEW mac book (glass book), do you have issues?

• Total voters
Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
I am choosing to post this here rather than macrumors because it seems that flames start getting thrown too fast there for non-popular opinions vs. here (with the excpetion of page 3 of Apple mac book vs. pc)....

Anyways, I am reading all this crap about horrible screens, slanted keys, loose battery covers, off centered track pads, non-working track pads, screens falling down on their own and what not and it worried me a bit about ordering my first mac (PC convert).

Well I order a 2.4 mac book with 4gb of ram, iwork and Apple care from Apple's site. I got the mac and it was PERFECT. I looked for all of the above mentioned issues; my screen looks no different than my HP laptop, my keys are level, my battery cover is tight, my track pad is center and works and my screen does not move from where I place it in any position. So am I lucky to have this unicorn of macs sent to my house or are there just a small minority of people doing a majority worth of bitching and making it seem like all macs are doomed?

Now, I'm not posting this to start a war, just to see if anyone else with a new mac book is in my boat or the ss mactanic.

P.S. Why the hell did I waste all those years with a PC? (ok, a little jab, but as a disclaimer, I only use computers for home stuff and nothing crazy)

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I am choosing to post this here rather than macrumors because it seems that flames start getting thrown too fast there for non-popular opinions vs. here (with the excpetion of page 3 of Apple mac book vs. pc)....

Anyways, I am reading all this crap about horrible screens, slanted keys, loose battery covers, off centered track pads, non-working track pads, screens falling down on their own and what not and it worried me a bit about ordering my first mac (PC convert).

Well I order a 2.4 mac book with 4gb of ram, iwork and Apple care from Apple's site. I got the mac and it was PERFECT. I looked for all of the above mentioned issues; my screen looks no different than my HP laptop, my keys are level, my battery cover is tight, my track pad is center and works and my screen does not move from where I place it in any position. So am I lucky to have this unicorn of macs sent to my house or are there just a small minority of people doing a majority worth of bitching and making it seem like all macs are doomed?

Now, I'm not posting this to start a war, just to see if anyone else with a new mac book is in my boat or the ss mactanic.

P.S. Why the hell did I waste all those years with a PC? (ok, a little jab, but as a disclaimer, I only use computers for home stuff and nothing crazy)
The cases you've heard of may just be they few people that got duds. Being made from a block of aluminum, I wouldn't expect them to have many hardware flaws. My BlackBook has never had any hardware problems.

Oh, and welcome aboard. I like your signature. ;)

DUKEL

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
S.D. CA 92109

Overall my Macbook has excellent build quality but there are a few imperfections as you mentioned. The top F keys are a bit tilted to the left and just a bit earlier I was fiddling with the battery cover and yes, it is loose and I can wiggle it up & down. The trackpad is very loud and much harder to click than the previous gen but I don't really think its necessarily a defect since a lot of them are that way. Like I said though, overall it is built like a tank! Build quality is excellent with an incredibly strong hinge and solid frame.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Dang it sucks to hear that people are experiencing issues with their new MacBooks. The ones I've seen in store all seem to be perfect but then again I wasn't looking for anything to be wrong with them.

pjw

Bronze
Sep 22, 2007
I have had no problems with my new MB. If there are problems, they are not obvious to me and if that is the case, I don't want to know about them.
The only thing that I have noticed is when I use iPhoto and I want to zoom in or out with the track pad gestures, iPhoto crashes.
Anyone else?

Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
I have had no problems with my new MB. If there are problems, they are not obvious to me and if that is the case, I don't want to know about them.
The only thing that I have noticed is when I use iPhoto and I want to zoom in or out with the track pad gestures, iPhoto crashes.
Anyone else?
I haven't had that problem, but one thing I would suggest would be to go over to mac rumors and search the calibration threads. There is one "mac book calibration something something 2008" and there are nice profiles there for the screen. I loaded one and its a HUGE improvement over the stock profile. I tried to calibrate myself, but like others have said, the self calibration makes everything too blue.

Give it a shot.

pjw

Bronze
Sep 22, 2007
I haven't had that problem, but one thing I would suggest would be to go over to mac rumors and search the calibration threads. There is one "mac book calibration something something 2008" and there are nice profiles there for the screen. I loaded one and its a HUGE improvement over the stock profile. I tried to calibrate myself, but like others have said, the self calibration makes everything too blue.

Give it a shot.
I will check it out right now.
I added multi clutch last night and that program kicks serious as... well you know the rest.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
my screen looks no different than my HP laptop, my keys are level, my battery cover is tight, my track pad is center and works and my screen does not move from where I place it in any position.
Shouldn't your screen look better than your HP's?

Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
Shouldn't your screen look better than your HP's?

Honestly, to me, they look about the same. Both glossy, both at the same resilution, and both 13 inch notebooks. I can fire them both up at the same time again and compare if you want me to.

Aug 29, 2008
Mine is perfect for the most part, my battery cover is maybe half a mm from being a perfect fit, but I can live with that.

The screen, meh, all laptop screens I have ever seen suck, but then I am used to using a $2000 tv as my main monitor. For a portable, the screen does what it needs to do, and occasionally when I game the colours are fine.

Used the Spyder 2 screen calibration though, the stock one sucks badly.

Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
Mine is perfect for the most part, my battery cover is maybe half a mm from being a perfect fit, but I can live with that.

The screen, meh, all laptop screens I have ever seen suck, but then I am used to using a $2000 tv as my main monitor. For a portable, the screen does what it needs to do, and occasionally when I game the colours are fine.

Used the Spyder 2 screen calibration though, the stock one sucks badly.
I believe that was the same one that was used by the guy on mac rumors who I got my calibration from.

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
I just picked up a 2.4Ghz 4GB MacBook and I can't find any flaws. This thing rocks! Now if I can figure out how to make it mine...