Am i the only one with lower battery life on 2.2?

Geoldr

Sep 29, 2008
Hello all, I used to have 3G on, and the wifi setting on ON all day, and when I came home, with about 1.5 hrs of usage my battery would just show little draining.
Now with the 2.2, with 3G OFF, and Wifi still the same, its close to like 70% battery life, on only 54 min of usage.
Thats insane. My battery life dropped DRAMATICALLY. Should I attempt restoring it? As I have not uploaded any new apps or anything. Its the exact same, with new firmware, and much less battery.
Besides the new Safari, im pretty disappointed.
Oh yeah.
Also I get much less reception. Now I get no service in my house.
All in all, this update has very much sucked for me.

kjack05

Bronze
Oct 28, 2008
Texas
Hello all, I used to have 3G on, and the wifi setting on ON all day, and when I came home, with about 1.5 hrs of usage my battery would just show little draining.
Now with the 2.2, with 3G OFF, and Wifi still the same, its close to like 70% battery life, on only 54 min of usage.
Thats insane. My battery life dropped DRAMATICALLY. Should I attempt restoring it? As I have not uploaded any new apps or anything. Its the exact same, with new firmware, and much less battery.
Oh yeah.

Personally I would use the reset and erase data setting and then after that restore on the computer and setup as new phone. It should not drain that much. If that doesn't work I would go to Apple with it.

Oct 13, 2007
Chicago
I noticed that too. Before upgrading, I actually had my 3G on edge all the time because the network sucked in my area. But now, with the upgrade, the 3G improved so I don'thave to switch, but battery life is bad.

ihack

Bronze
Nov 7, 2008
Orange Park, FL
my batter life is about half what it used to be. Little diapointed. I have to bring my charger with me everwhere. I get about 2 hours usage and I'm at the 20% mark!

PDACPA

Silver
Jan 16, 2008
Florida
I noticed this weekend when I had not used it much (maybe 2 or 3 short calls and an email check) that it was on the red battery (and you cannot do anything) by 9:30pm.

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008
Oh yeah.
Im experiencing the same problems you are in terms of shorter battery life and poor reception. Theres times when I try to send a text message I receive an "error sending text message" message. Never had this problem before 2.2.

I now have the choice of not using my phone during the course of the day in case I have to use it in the evening hours or charge it in the middle of the day so the battery wont die by 5:00 or 6:00 pm.

Geoldr

Sep 29, 2008
This is ridiculous. Can we email Apple about this? Maybe it's the baseband update that does this? I also get the error sending a text message. A new update which lowers my reception so that I don't get reception in my house and much lower battery life. I love my iPhone but these errors and the constant dropped calls, low battery, and light leak on a two month old phone is really starting to piss me off honestly.

iksn

Silver
Aug 7, 2008
Near Las Vegas
You're all blaming 2.2 for these problems. Some of you may or may not be right, if so, I believe you need to reinstall 2.2 or do a restore. Others may think it is 2.2, but did you add any new apps anytime right before or after your 2.2 update. I installed a rather large app recently that immediately started draining my battery and heating up the phone. I don't know why, and don't really care, I deleted the app permanetly, rebooted the phone, and all was well. Think about it, because the vast majortiy of people that updated to 2.2 are extremely happy with it.

zeluiz22

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
Oh yeah.
I'm getting my best battery life since 2.2. Try a reset. However, you will only drive yourself crazy with incremental battery checks. Best way to measure your comfort with your battery is day-to-day, not hour-to-hour.

Geoldr

Sep 29, 2008
I am downloading and installing the new iTunes at the moment. After that is done, I will reset my settings, delete all third party apps, and Restore the system. I will report back with battery results.
As to the person who said that it might not be 2.2, it might be a new App. As I said, I haven't installed or deleted any apps since the upgrade to 2.2

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008
lol... I charged my phone twice today and after sending no less than 5 text messages I just received a message telling me my battery is down to 10%

It would be nice if Apple gave you the option to purchase a phone with an extended battery.

kjack05

Bronze
Oct 28, 2008
Texas
Something is wrong with your phones. Mines battery is fine, I suggest what I posted above.

Geoldr

Sep 29, 2008
I have restored my phone to factory settings with no apps or music. I will let you all know tomorrow.
And no, I really doubt that all of our phones are messed up. This has happened after upgrading to 2.2.
Before 2.2 I was actually surprised at how good the battery on this thing was.

kjack05

Bronze
Oct 28, 2008
Texas
I have restored my phone to factory settings with no apps or music. I will let you all know tomorrow.
And no, I really doubt that all of our phones are messed up. This has happened after upgrading to 2.2.
Before 2.2 I was actually surprised at how good the battery on this thing was.
Well im on 2.2 and my battery seems better, so something its obviously wrong with your phones or mine is just special?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
For those that are experiencing shorter battery life since the update, I suggest backing up all information ( notes, photos, bookmarks from both safari and Youtube) and then restoring and setting up as a new phone and test again. If you are still having problems, then it's time to make that appointment with Apple.
Here's other things to look at:
Turn location services off - unless you need it
turn down the screens brightness a little more
Turn off any settings that are unnecessary.
No EQ in iPod

If you do this and you are still experiencing major drainage, or simply poor battery life in general, take screen shots of when you charged, and when you hit 20% and take it to Apple and show them. They should replace the phone.

Geoldr

Sep 29, 2008
I have restored the iPhone. Currently 45 min of usage. Battery indicator is still full. Better then before the restore. Before on 45 min tv battery would show 70-80 %

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
With mine, I get anywhere from an hour to an hour and 20 minutes or so before the indicator starts to show any loss. ( and that is when that first line of pixels goes.)