Aug 8, 2008
UK

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Good stuff - thanks for sharing. David Hockney - one of the UK's most famous living artists - also uses Brushes and the iPhone heavily now.

I'll post on these at my site, as I have covered iPhone art quite a bit and find it kind of fascinating ...

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
The price went up to 4.99 now. I still picked it up. I already have Magic Touch, but it's a pain in the but to use because of all the switching back and forth that has to be done, plus, you cannot start on a blank canvas and undo is only good for one time back.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I'm working on a few iPhone pieces I hope to share in the coming weeks

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I'm working on a few iPhone pieces I hope to share in the coming weeks
Oh, cool! I cover iPhone art a lot on my site, really enjoy it. Maybe because I'm a guy who can't draw a stick figure, but I really enjoy a lot of the iPhone art I've seen, especially some of the stuff coming from some known artists who are experimenting with this medium.

Has anyone seen any of Jorge Columbo's work on Brushes / iPhone? He's the guy whose iPhone drawing recently made the cover of The New Yorker magazine. Gorgeous New York cityscapes. Here's just one example:

brushes1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

iTrey.Bates

Bronze
Jul 9, 2008
Texas
wow these guys are intense...i have a few drawing apps but i never even thought of actually making something like they have...i have to say im pretty inspired...thanks bro:)

GADeputy

Bronze
Jan 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
I have this app.... too bad I can't draw worth a crap.
I would love to see everyone else's pics though. Maybe someone should start a Brushes Pictures thread where people can show off their artistic side.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I would love to see everyone else's pics though. Maybe someone should start a Brushes Pictures thread where people can show off their artistic side.
Nice - I'm all over that - like seeing good iPhone art - as I'm just like you, can't draw my way out of a paper bag, or draw the paper bag to get out of for that matter ...

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
That's a great idea, an artistic thread for the iPhone. I bought the Brushes app. I use to be an art major and I find it relaxes me to sit down with my brush and canvas(finger and screen). There are some very cool website out there dedicated to artists using the Brushes app. I have seen some amazing artwork using the iPhone.

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I bought the app but it's a bit harder to control than you think. I thought it was more Photoshop oriented but just barely. It can be frustrating trying to produce a simple effect easily in this app compared to Photoshop. And I'm an artist! (I drew my self-portrait avatar)

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I bought the app but it's a bit harder to control than you think. I thought it was more Photoshop oriented but just barely. It can be frustrating trying to produce a simple effect easily in this app compared to Photoshop. And I'm an artist! (I drew my self-portrait avatar)
That avatar is really sharp.

No idea if this will help, but to me as a total non-artist, this is fascinating. It's a video of Jorge Columbo talking about his techniques when drawing on the iPhone - including how he did the awesome New York street scenes like the one chosen for The New Yorker cover:

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/article5975553.ece

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Shane Watson said:
Is he an artist or some sort? I think this is the new form of art. From now on people will by art from iPhone not canvas unless you prefer someones painting who is dead.
Yes he is. His website is HERE.

I think there's an awful lot of good paintings by dead folks as well though :)