Amazon Fire vs Apple TV

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I'm curious as to how the Amazon Fire stacks up the Apple TV and the ROKU. I use both the ROKU and Apple TV in my house, but the ROKU gets more time than the ATV. I generally prefer it for its faster UI, Amazon Prime and Plex. It does have some advantages, namely AirPlay, Photo Stream and access to my iTunes content.

I have an Amazon Fire TV on order. Looking forward to checking it out. We stream lots of Amazon Prime lately due to my obsession with Justified and The Good Wife.

Anyone else planning on picking up an Amazon Fire TV?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
My review of the Amazon Fire TV is on the site. I had some excellent video footage to go along with it, but iMovie is utter crap. I became so enraged with the constant beach balls, that I gave up – for now. Static images and words will have to suffice.

Last edited:

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
It looks like the Amazon Fire will gain voice search support for Hulu, Crackle and Showtime. I use it every day with Prime. It's fast, accurate and saves me a bunch of time navigating.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
just the ability to create your own private channel makes the roku far and away the better box.
It depends on what's most important to you and what you watch. We do a lot of Amazon Prime and Plex in our house, two areas where the Fire excels. The voice search is fast, the UI beautiful and the Plex app is the best I've seen -- might even be better than the Mac version.

rom x

Zealot
Gold
Jan 18, 2011
yeah i guess if all you really care about is a pretty interface and no content. then your right. but for me it's all about content if there is a certain something i wanna see it better be playing on my device i could care less if the app looks good or not. i don't buy a streaming device to look at the app. i buy it to watch the content that is on it. and if i can control what's on the device then that is a huge plus. and with the roku i can do just that.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
yeah I guess if all you really care about is a pretty interface and no content. then your right. but for me it's all about content if there is a certain something I wanna see it better be playing on my device I could care less if the app looks good or not. I don't buy a streaming device to look at the app. I buy it to watch the content that is on it. and if I can control what's on the device then that is a huge plus. and with the roku I can do just that.
Well, interface has plenty to do with experiencing your content. From the moment you turn on your TV, to finding a show to pressing play, that stuff all matters to me. As for content, I'm not missing anything by using the Fire. In fact, I find it has the absolute best Plex experience and I prefer it to using our Mac mini. It still runs in the background, but we use the Fire to browse and view our movies.

The Fire is fast and I can access a server filled with my content with Plex. It has Showtime Anytime, Netflix and of course Amazon Prime. That's my content and it's served up fast, fluid and without a clunky interface. This is coming from a Roku fan. I own four of them. I like them better than my Apple TV. Right now, for my content needs, the Fire wins. The UI and speed are also wins for the Fire. I see the only negatives being lack of HBO Go (they've since added a ton of HBO programming to Prime) and AirPlay/Photo Stream.

What kind of private channel are you creating on Roku and what content am I missing?

rom x

Zealot
Gold
Jan 18, 2011
well this is what is up now or being uploaded this week as far movies added. the live channels have been up for approx 2 weeks and more are on the way

Contract Killers
Demon Legacy
Wicked Blood
Squatters
Don Peyote
Against The Wild
Friended to Death
Making the Rules
Alpha House
bad words
3 days to kill 2014
jack ryan shadow recruit
the awkward moment
son of god 2014
oculus 2014
coachella 2014
non stop
the quiet ones
spiderman 2 2014

live content channels below

A&E
AMC
ANIMAL PLANET
ANTENA 3
ASIANET
AZTECA 7
AZTECA NOTICIAS
AZTECA TRECE
BANDAMAX
BOOMERANG
BRAVO
CANAL 22
CANEL 5
CANEL DE LAS ESTRELLAS
CARTOON NETWORK
CASA CLUB TV
CINCO EL LIDER
CNN
DE PELICULA
DISCOVERY
DISNEY XD
DISTRITO COMEDIA
DOCUBOX
E CHANNEL
ESPN
FOOD NET
FOX LIFE
FOX NEWS
FX
GOLDEN
GOLDEN EDGE
HBO
HGTV
HISTORY
MLB CURRENTLY HAVE 5 CHANNELS
MOVIE CITY
NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC
NICK JR
PLANET FUTBOL 1 & 2
PROYECTO 40
RITMOSON LATINO
SONY
STARZ
SYFY
TBS
TELEHIT
TLNOVELAS
TNT
TRU
UNICABLE
UNIVISION
USA
WB

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
well this is what is up now or being uploaded this week as far movies added. the live channels have been up for approx 2 weeks and more are on the way

Contract Killers
Demon Legacy
Wicked Blood
Squatters
Don Peyote
Against The Wild
Friended to Death
Making the Rules
Alpha House
bad words
3 days to kill 2014
jack ryan shadow recruit
the awkward moment
son of god 2014
oculus 2014
coachella 2014
non stop
the quiet ones
spiderman 2 2014

live content channels below

A&E
AMC
ANIMAL PLANET
ANTENA 3
ASIANET
AZTECA 7
AZTECA NOTICIAS
AZTECA TRECE
BANDAMAX
BOOMERANG
BRAVO
CANAL 22
CANEL 5
CANEL DE LAS ESTRELLAS
CARTOON NETWORK
CASA CLUB TV
CINCO EL LIDER
CNN
DE PELICULA
DISCOVERY
DISNEY XD
DISTRITO COMEDIA
DOCUBOX
E CHANNEL
ESPN
FOOD NET
FOX LIFE
FOX NEWS
FX
GOLDEN
GOLDEN EDGE
HBO
HGTV
HISTORY
MLB CURRENTLY HAVE 5 CHANNELS
MOVIE CITY
NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC
NICK JR
PLANET FUTBOL 1 & 2
PROYECTO 40
RITMOSON LATINO
SONY
STARZ
SYFY
TBS
TELEHIT
TLNOVELAS
TNT
TRU
UNICABLE
UNIVISION
USA
WB
I'm not sure what you're saying here. Do you get this long list of free movies and cable channels with the Roku? If the Roku offered these for free and the Apple TV and Fire didn't, I'm not sure why anyone would choose or stick with the alternatives. If it's not free, how much does it cost per month? I think Chris was asking for is a list of the features the Roku has and the Fire lacks.

rom x

Zealot
Gold
Jan 18, 2011
no im pretty sure he was also asking what type of programming he can get with the roku here is his last sentence
"What kind of private channel are you creating on Roku and what content am I missing?" which is why i post my current uploads to my roku channel. which i am offering a 2 week free trial