Amazon Fire vs Apple TV

Discussion in 'Apple TV' started by chris, Apr 4, 2014.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I'm curious as to how the Amazon Fire stacks up the Apple TV and the ROKU. I use both the ROKU and Apple TV in my house, but the ROKU gets more time than the ATV. I generally prefer it for its faster UI, Amazon Prime and Plex. It does have some advantages, namely AirPlay, Photo Stream and access to my iTunes content.

I have an Amazon Fire TV on order. Looking forward to checking it out. We stream lots of Amazon Prime lately due to my obsession with Justified and The Good Wife.

Anyone else planning on picking up an Amazon Fire TV?

2. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

3. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I'd agree, that's a shortcoming. However, Amazon has said they are working with HBO to get HBO Go on the Amazon Fire TV. Sounds like it won't be long before that happens. It's definitely an advantage now for the Apple TV.

4. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I love the Amazon Fire TV ad with Gary Busey.

5. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

Oh, My God!

6. Santa

Santa Evangelist
    Gold

Most excellent!

7. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

My review of the Amazon Fire TV is on the site. I had some excellent video footage to go along with it, but iMovie is utter crap. I became so enraged with the constant beach balls, that I gave up – for now. Static images and words will have to suffice.

#7 chris, Apr 8, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  8. Njshoremom4gurlz

Njshoremom4gurlz Contributor
    Silver

Amazon fire TV? This new? Or amazon prime video app?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Njshoremom4gurlz

Njshoremom4gurlz Contributor
    Silver

Wow neat I should've kept reading lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

It looks like the Amazon Fire will gain voice search support for Hulu, Crackle and Showtime. I use it every day with Prime. It's fast, accurate and saves me a bunch of time navigating.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  11. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

just the ability to create your own private channel makes the roku far and away the better box.

12. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

It depends on what's most important to you and what you watch. We do a lot of Amazon Prime and Plex in our house, two areas where the Fire excels. The voice search is fast, the UI beautiful and the Plex app is the best I've seen -- might even be better than the Mac version.

13. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

yeah i guess if all you really care about is a pretty interface and no content. then your right. but for me it's all about content if there is a certain something i wanna see it better be playing on my device i could care less if the app looks good or not. i don't buy a streaming device to look at the app. i buy it to watch the content that is on it. and if i can control what's on the device then that is a huge plus. and with the roku i can do just that.

14. Kriss

Kriss Zealot
    Silver

I think you mean, "I couldn't care less" :)

I have a Apple TV.

15. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Well, interface has plenty to do with experiencing your content. From the moment you turn on your TV, to finding a show to pressing play, that stuff all matters to me. As for content, I'm not missing anything by using the Fire. In fact, I find it has the absolute best Plex experience and I prefer it to using our Mac mini. It still runs in the background, but we use the Fire to browse and view our movies.

The Fire is fast and I can access a server filled with my content with Plex. It has Showtime Anytime, Netflix and of course Amazon Prime. That's my content and it's served up fast, fluid and without a clunky interface. This is coming from a Roku fan. I own four of them. I like them better than my Apple TV. Right now, for my content needs, the Fire wins. The UI and speed are also wins for the Fire. I see the only negatives being lack of HBO Go (they've since added a ton of HBO programming to Prime) and AirPlay/Photo Stream.

What kind of private channel are you creating on Roku and what content am I missing?

16. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

well this is what is up now or being uploaded this week as far movies added. the live channels have been up for approx 2 weeks and more are on the way

Contract Killers
    Demon Legacy
    Wicked Blood
    Squatters
    Don Peyote
    Against The Wild
    Friended to Death
    Making the Rules
    Alpha House
    bad words
    3 days to kill 2014
    jack ryan shadow recruit
    the awkward moment
    son of god 2014
    oculus 2014
    coachella 2014
    non stop
    the quiet ones
    spiderman 2 2014

live content channels below

A&E
    AMC
    ANIMAL PLANET
    ANTENA 3
    ASIANET
    AZTECA 7
    AZTECA NOTICIAS
    AZTECA TRECE
    BANDAMAX
    BOOMERANG
    BRAVO
    CANAL 22
    CANEL 5
    CANEL DE LAS ESTRELLAS
    CARTOON NETWORK
    CASA CLUB TV
    CINCO EL LIDER
    CNN
    DE PELICULA
    DISCOVERY
    DISNEY XD
    DISTRITO COMEDIA
    DOCUBOX
    E CHANNEL
    ESPN
    FOOD NET
    FOX LIFE
    FOX NEWS
    FX
    GOLDEN
    GOLDEN EDGE
    HBO
    HGTV
    HISTORY
    MLB CURRENTLY HAVE 5 CHANNELS
    MOVIE CITY
    NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC
    NICK JR
    PLANET FUTBOL 1 & 2
    PROYECTO 40
    RITMOSON LATINO
    SONY
    STARZ
    SYFY
    TBS
    TELEHIT
    TLNOVELAS
    TNT
    TRU
    UNICABLE
    UNIVISION
    USA
    WB

17. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I'm not sure what you're saying here. Do you get this long list of free movies and cable channels with the Roku? If the Roku offered these for free and the Apple TV and Fire didn't, I'm not sure why anyone would choose or stick with the alternatives. If it's not free, how much does it cost per month? I think Chris was asking for is a list of the features the Roku has and the Fire lacks.

18. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

no im pretty sure he was also asking what type of programming he can get with the roku here is his last sentence
    "What kind of private channel are you creating on Roku and what content am I missing?" which is why i post my current uploads to my roku channel. which i am offering a 2 week free trial