Amazon introduces Fire Phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rafagon, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Amazon's brand new phone has some pretty impressive features, and comes at a price point Apple has yet to achieve: $299 for 64 GB of storage. It will only be available on AT&T for the time being, and will go on sale July 25th.

http://www.wired.com/2014/06/amazon-fire-phone/

Quote from elsewhere: "At an event in Seattle, CEO Jeff Bezos unveiled the Fire Phone, a smartphone with a 4.7-inch 3D display, a 2.2 GHz quad-core processor, a 13 megapixel rear-facing camera and 2 GB of RAM. The device, which has a heavy focus on multimedia, will offer unlimited photo storage and a dedicated button to launch the camera app."

Watch the video:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EOE0WKQ/ref=fp_dp_auto_play

2. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

I was quite impressed. I really like the Firefly and tilt-to-scroll features. It probably isn't enough to make me ditch my iPhone. I still plan on the iPhone 6. I do like this innovative move by Amazon, however.

3. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I think it's cool how it has icons and stuff.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

I prefer Apple apps. Also, exclusive to AT&T will hurt its sales. I'm sure there will be some negative issues once its in the hands of customers. We have yet to hear about that side of things.

5. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I don't see a status bar with the battery %! :confused:

6. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

The hardware looks nice and I like the idea of a dedicated camera button. A few things jumped out at me:
    • Free unlimited cloud storage of photos taken with Fire Phone (that's awesome). It's transferrable and if you do sell your phone, you keep the storage.
    • They made a big deal about visibility outside. The iPhone has always been very good, but recent Android devices I've tested have been pretty awful. I include the Moto X, GS4 among them.
    • They showed a sample photo from their phone compared to the Samsung Galaxy S5 and the iPhone 5s. Outside of the Lumia 1020, those are the best smartphone cameras. Do they have a camera that's on par or better than either of those two?
    I really thought Amazon had a chance to do something to shake things up. I thought Nexus pricing $300-$350 unlocked. If not a low price than some sort of AT&T plan that would include streaming of music and video with no impact to your data plan. Amazon has the content, but IMHO they did little to leverage it. While I wouldn't switch to anything running Fire OS, some customers would certainly find that a compelling feature – and one that only Amazon is in a position to offer.

7. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Edit: Phones are always on-topic.

8. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Edit?

9. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

Was there really a demand for an Amazon phone? I bet it drops to $100 or lower with a 2 year contract within a month.

10. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I think it's cool for Amazon to tap into the phone market but let's face it, they are late in the game. Apple is leading the way into phone technology (unless you include the Galaxy S4). I also think Amazon should just stick to tablets and online shopping.

11. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I actually find the Fire attractive. But will it do what I want it to do? And how well would it do those things? And then there's the apps. Being Android apps, they're just not going to be as cool as good ole apps from the iTunes App Store. Targetting a small market was probably wise in getting their foot in the door.

12. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

iPhone says "hi"...

13. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

That was a different time and place. Smartphones were the Treo, Moto Q and BlackBerry. The percentage of smartphone owners was low and it was far from mainstream. It's like comparing venues for Super Bowl III to Super Bowl 50. The landscape has changed and without an extremely compelling offer, it's an also ran. Limiting themselves to AT&T will do nothing but hurt. Says to me that other carriers weren't that interested, perhaps taking a wait & see.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

15. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I watched the preview video on Amazon about the Fire and it is interesting. Auto scrolling is really cool when you are reading a web page, document, e-book, or viewing a presentation. Firefly is already available with apps like QR App and Barcode Scanner. The one feature that Fire has which would be nice on the iPhone is Mayday, as it would make troubleshooting the device a lot easier.

16. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

From iDownloadBlog:

"Apple is also looking to significantly improve its support platforms in the Fall, particularly as it applies to iOS devices. Apple will reportedly be extending its screen sharing functionality on Mac to iOS devices, allowing support technicians to view your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch and help you on screen.

That functionality sounds very similar to the MayDay feature that Amazon is including on its Fire Phone, although Apple is not expected to have a physical button on iOS devices for accessing the support. It also won’t be as much of a core feature as MayDay is on the Fire Phone."

Full article here.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  17. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

Nah. If the darn thing was any good it would be fine even being only with AT&T. Problem is that it's (probably) not going to be much...

18. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

If AppleCare+ prices remain the same (I'm going to assume Apple will not provide their version of MayDay ["iHelpMe"?] for free beyond a one-year period), then it would be nice, but nowhere near as nice as Amazon's MayDay in terms of price: Amazon seemingly offers MayDay for free as long as you own the device, at least for the Kindle Fire. Hopefully they will do the same with the Fire Phone. If that turns out to be the case, then folks who consider themselves particularly incompetent with electronics and who may need extra help on a regular basis should go for the Fire Phone.

19. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

They should go for the Fire Phone just for the Mayday feature?!

Ricky-Gervais-Laughing-GIF.gif

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  20. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

Why would you even need a Mayday feature for something as stable as an iPhone? In all the years I've owned an iPhone I never once had to call support for any help. Anyway, we have Everything iCafe forum to help us :)