Amen to This: Google Gmail Update Is A Preview Of How Things Should Be In iOS 7

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by patrickj, May 7, 2013.

1. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

Not sure why the article titles came in so funky above, but couldn't be bothered messing with them.

3. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

It pulls all sorts of weird formatting. Happens to me all the time.

Do we think Apple allow changing default apps? Am I off-base in thinking that's not so hard for them to implement this sort of change? They still have to approve apps, so it's not as if they would be allowing potentially rogue apps. At a minimum, I be switching Maps to Google Maps, at least in the interim until it improves. I've been flirting a bit with Chrome on the desktop, but having a tough time giving up Safari.

Thanks for the article link, going to read it now.

4. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

Glad I'm not the only one on the weird formatting.

I'm going to be optimistic and say I do think Apple will allow the default apps options. I think by now they really need to make changes like this, or pretty soon iOS is going to start being worthy of those mocking Samsung ads.

I love Chrome on the desktop, find it roughly eleventy million times faster than Safari, and solid as a rock even with my habit of having 20-30 tabs open pretty much continuously.

5. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

Another vote here for custom default apps. Add in media player to your list above.

I love chrome on desktop, but hate using the iOS version because of the cripplingly slow API Apple makes them use.

These two reasons are why I still use safari on my phone and macs. If Apple fixed that, I'd jump to Chrome on both in a second.

6. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

Google made a bunch of changes and is building it's own eco system
    I switched to using more of Google applications since I found out I am going to be an glass explorer. I have not touched anything Google in a long time. But man ! When I tried NOW I was amazed ! It does understand my accent ! I use it everyday!
    I love it !
    Anyway I would not be surprised with everything Google is doing there will be some announcements soon ...
    I love iOS, it's the simplicity I like.
    I just added the Samsung phone and I like it but I still grab the iPhone.
    I can not wait for iOS 7

7. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

I feel the same about Chrome on iOS. I like it and Dolphin Browser both a lot, but stick with Safari because Apple has made it an uneven playing field.

8. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

I've been using a Galaxy Note 8 and a Galaxy Note 2 for a few weeks now. Liking both a lot, and you're right - Now is quite impressive.

I reserve the right to make fun of you when you use Google Glass though. :)

9. hmfc-1874

hmfc-1874 Contributor
    Silver

you ready to sell your house for the google glasses ? haha

10. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

The house?

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Is that a typo? First you said you like the destop version but then you said it's slow. I use it on my iMac and haven't ever noticed that.

12. hmfc-1874

hmfc-1874 Contributor
    Silver

Yeah it will cost near enough that for a pair of the glasses lol

Sent using a bottle of fairy liquid

13. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

The implementation is obviously the easy part. The willingness on Apple's part to offer default apps other than their own stock apps to open links, etc., is another story. If they allow this, they are essentially saying that their own stock apps may not be the best options. However, it is paramount to offer the consumer the final choice in what he/she may deem to be the bes app for his/her needs. This may be difficult for Apple to digest, but hey, we did pay for their devices, so I think we are entitled to choose which app suits our needs best.

**ADDENDUM: I'm sure that Apple make some kind of profit if we use Apple's apps. I love Apple, and they are perhaps the company I most love. But that doesn't change the fact that they are in it for the money. I would do the same, so I cannot blame them.

14. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

I find it runs great on my iMac, and with the help of Nitrous (JB required), it is great on iOS as well. In fact, any app that is forced by Apple to use UIWebView will speed up and instead use the native Apple Nitro engine.

While I love most of the Apple ecosystem, it's petty things like this that make me disappointed in Apple. And there are lots of examples like this.

15. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

No, I said the iOS version is slow. Desktop Chrome is great.

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I was confused because you said you still you Safari on your Mac.

17. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

For my personal use I stick with safari, but I use chrome for work because I need it to sync stuff cross-platform, and I'm not about to use Internet Explorer for iCloud syincing on windows. And the other nice thing about chrome that safari doesn't have a rough equivalent for is that you can set up multiple accounts to switch between various configurations.