american iPhone in UK

sibbs07

Aug 20, 2009
I quite want an iPhone but not wanting to spend an extra £20 a month for the cheapest UK tarriff. I have a family member going to America in a couple of months and was wondering if it was possible for him to pick me up an iPhone that could be unlocked and work in the UK on an Orange pay monthly sim card.

Is this possible? Or would I have to take out a contract with, and pay, AT&T?

Are there any ways to just buy the iPhone handset without a contract, or a way of not having to pay the contract (such as not activating the sim).

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
I quite want an iPhone but not wanting to spend an extra £20 a month for the cheapest UK tarriff. I have a family member going to America in a couple of months and was wondering if it was possible for him to pick me up an iPhone that could be unlocked and work in the UK on an Orange pay monthly sim card.

Is this possible? Or would I have to take out a contract with, and pay, AT&T?

Are there any ways to just buy the iPhone handset without a contract, or a way of not having to pay the contract (such as not activating the sim).
You can probably get one in the UK. Check eBay, etc.... That'd be the same way your family member would have to purchase it in the US. You can't purchases one in the US without a contract from AT&T (unless it's from eBay, Craigslist, or some other third party).

sibbs07

Aug 20, 2009
Thanks, they're so expensive in the UK!