AMEX Refund Letter

btrom56

Aug 13, 2007
I guess it just human nature to remain hopeful even when all signs point to to the obvious. Amex does not offer price protection period. There are no special programs, no need to file claims forms and it doesn't matter what color your card is or how often you use it! Apple is offering compensation for the price drop. Ya think Amex doesn't know this. Were do you think the two hundred comes from, Amex, no I would come from Apple's bank account. I doubt they will let that happen.

Silverado

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Which brings me back to my question....

How honest are you guys going to be if you get your 200 dollar refund....?

Are you going to take the 200 from AMEX and the 100 from Apple?

I'll bet all of you do. So you're really getting 300 dollars for buying a phone.
You bet that I will?! How do you know that? I take serious exception to this.

Apple said they will offer their in-store credit to those who received no other compensation. Therefore, if I receive $200 from Amex, I will not seek the Apple credit. I strive to never take what is not mine.

joerj11

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
I guess it just human nature to remain hopeful even when all signs point to to the obvious. Amex does not offer price protection period. There are no special programs, no need to file claims forms and it doesn't matter what color your card is or how often you use it! Apple is offering compensation for the price drop. Ya think Amex doesn't know this. Were do you think the two hundred comes from, Amex, no I would come from Apple's bank account. I doubt they will let that happen.
What do you mean "no need to file claims forms". Tell that to the people who got $215 per phone.

That being said, I’d be surprised if they “refund” everyone.

Silverado

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
When Amex offerred Price Protection, what they paid didn't come from the manufacturer who lowered the price. They had an underwriter for their protection service, i.e., Amex bought an insurance-type policy to cover what they pay out in claims.

Amex no longer has Price Protection, so I agree with your skepticism there. However, I wonder why Amex took all these claims, which costs them money to do. They could have easily, and more cheaply, just turned everyone away.

joerj11

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
However, I wonder why Amex took all these claims, which costs them money to do. They could have easily, and more cheaply, just turned wveryone away.
Good point. Didn't think of that. Now you're getting my hopes up again :oops:

btrom56

Aug 13, 2007
Amex offers services beyond just charging items you purchase. Those services always come with stipulations. They will always appear to be doing the most they can for their customers, so taking a claim is less costly than paying all these claims that they are not responsible for because THEY DO NOT OFFER PRICE PROTECTION anymore !

Dawgfan

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Good point. Didn't think of that. Now you're getting my hopes up again :oops:
I think their reaction was as much of a fire drill as the Apple reaction. From what I hear they had no process in place early and may have paid some $$ out but very quickly got an action plan together. It was reported on Buzz Out Loud that AMEX was not going to be paying any price protection claims on the iPhone.

Silverado

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Amex offers services beyond just charging items you purchase. Those services always come with stipulations. They will always appear to be doing the most they can for their customers, so taking a claim is less costly than paying all these claims that they are not responsible for because THEY DO NOT OFFER PRICE PROTECTION anymore !
Yes, they definitely don't--they even told me this when I called. They then said that this is a special case and they want to see if they could help. I think if their intention is to deny everyone's claim, they will get people more upset after stringing them along for two weeks than if they just apologised when they called. If their goal is to "appear to be doing the most they can for their customers" taking thousands of claims then denying all of them is not the way to do it.

Silverado

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
I think their reaction was as much of a fire drill as the Apple reaction. From what I hear they had no process in place early and may have paid some $$ out but very quickly got an action plan together. It was reported on Buzz Out Loud that AMEX was not going to be paying any price protection claims on the iPhone.
This is a plausible explanation.

joerj11

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007

But that brings us back to the original question. Why would their action plan be to take all these claims if they know that they will deny them all? Why not just say "Sorry, we can't help you"?

Prelector

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
No one posting here has definitive knowledge of AmEx's intent re: the iPhone pricing.

So, I really don't understand how folks can get into arguments over the issue. All we can do is wait for an official AmEx statement, and pass on details that we KNOW have occurred (refunds on statements, letters, etc).

And once again: For those who have gotten a refund on their cards, there's no guarantee you'll KEEP that refund. AmEx's policy regarding claims is to credit the account PENDING resolution. Once the claim is decided, the credit either stands as is, or is REMOVED depending on the decision.

jordan6

Jul 26, 2007
I just got an email from AMEX saying my claim had been processed and I would be credited 105. I bought a 4GB model so maybe this is why but I am not entirely sure why it's 105 instead of 205. Has anyone else gotten an email? Maybe I am supposed to take the 100 from AMEX and 100 from Apple and then I will be even.

mjeagent

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Northern Virginia
I just got an email from AMEX saying my claim had been processed and I would be credited 105. I bought a 4GB model so maybe this is why but I am not entirely sure why it's 105 instead of 205. Has anyone else gotten an email? Maybe I am supposed to take the 100 from AMEX and 100 from Apple and then I will be even.
It's not that we don't believe you, because there are a lot of people on here who talk out of their a**, but would you mind posting the email for proof. If it is legit, you would be helping out the masses who are currently waiting for a refund and especially those who have been told out right that their claim would not be processed.
Again, I strongly urge you to post some visual proof.

jordan6

Jul 26, 2007
The email I got was a generic email saying something about my claim being processed, it had two pdf attachments, one talking about the purchase protection plan and the other one below, indicating they are giving a one time exception and that they credited me $105.

Attachments

joerj11

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
The email I got was a generic email saying something about my claim being processed, it had two pdf attachments, one talking about the purchase protection plan and the other one below, indicating they are giving a one time exception and that they credited me $105.
So, it looks like they ARE doing this on a case by case basis. The $105 amount is odd but who are we to complain? I hope I meet their standards as a valued customer worthy of a refund. Would you mind sharing what type to customer you are? How long you’ve been with them, how often you use the card, all that fun stuff. I’m sure a lot of us would really appreciate it.

mjeagent

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Northern Virginia
Jordan6 - thank you for being a straight-up person and posting this visual proof.
Also, did you ever send them additional information and/or fill out that claim paper? Submit original receipts, statements, etc.

Waveguy

Bronze
Aug 18, 2007
So, it looks like they ARE doing this on a case by case basis. The $105 amount is odd but who are we to complain? I hope I meet their standards as a valued customer worthy of a refund. Would you mind sharing what type to customer you are? How long you’ve been with them, how often you use the card, all that fun stuff. I’m sure a lot of us would really appreciate it.
That's been my thinking all along. They're balancing the cost of providing the refund against the money they think they'd lose if they turned you down and you used your AmEx card less often or gave up entirely.

The risk to them is proportional to the level of activity on your account. But, now that I think about it, it's not a given that the older your account, the more likely you are to get the refund. They might consider that people who've been using AmEx longer are already hooked and thereforee less likely to change their charging practices if they're denied.

It's an interesting exercise in game theory, but I'm sure that AmEx is treating it purely as a businesss decision, as they should.

Fant

Sep 9, 2007
I'd still be curious. If they offer a price protection service for 30 days, I'd be curious as to what their legal standing is to turn down the claim. Did they specifically state in the program when you signed up that iPhones or cellphones would not be covered? I can understand that Apple refunds those who were within 14 days, but what about those who were between 15 and 30 days? IMO, they should have to pay for the service they provide and should not be allowed to turn it down at their will.

mm1250

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
I'd still be curious. If they offer a price protection service for 30 days, I'd be curious as to what their legal standing is to turn down the claim. Did they specifically state in the program when you signed up that iPhones or cellphones would not be covered? I can understand that Apple refunds those who were within 14 days, but what about those who were between 15 and 30 days? IMO, they should have to pay for the service they provide and should not be allowed to turn it down at their will.

The price guarantee program they "HAD" was for 60 days, not 30.

The Purchase protection program that they are filing everyone under provides "90 DAYs" from purchase, which means EVERYONE will fall under this protection.

At this point, they should have no stance to turn anyone down considering they already approved & paid hundreds of claims already that I've seen in the online fourms. I would be migty pissed, (more upset than what Apple did) if they denied my claim and passed other claims through. Insurance protection isn't pick and choose, plain and simple. If this happens, they open themself up to discrimination. It's highly unfair that two people who bough the same phone from the same company both appliad for the same insurance protection, one gets approved and the other gets denied saying " sorry you were denied because we don't offer this program". This would be a HUGe slap on the face.

I hope Amex makes the right decision and approves "EVERYONE" not pick and choose.