AMEX Refund Letter

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
Amex no longer has Price Protection, so I agree with your skepticism there. However, I wonder why Amex took all these claims, which costs them money to do. They could have easily, and more cheaply, just turned everyone away.
Amex has a 90 day return policy. I have used that in the past.

joerj11

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
The price guarantee program they "HAD" was for 60 days, not 30.

The Purchase protection program that they are filing everyone under provides "90 DAYs" from purchase, which means EVERYONE will fall under this protection.

At this point, they should have no stance to turn anyone down considering they already approved & paid hundreds of claims already that I've seen in the online fourms. I would be migty pissed, (more upset than what Apple did) if they denied my claim and passed other claims through. Insurance protection isn't pick and choose, plain and simple. If this happens, they open themself up to discrimination. It's highly unfair that two people who bough the same phone from the same company both appliad for the same insurance protection, one gets approved and the other gets denied saying " sorry you were denied because we don't offer this program". This would be a HUGe slap on the face.

I hope Amex makes the right decision and approves "EVERYONE" not pick and choose.
Highly unfair? If they don’t offer the program, they don’t have to do anything. If they choose to credit one person because they are a great customer that doesn’t mean it is unfair that they don’t credit someone else who has used the card twice. Why should they be expected to shell out $200+ to someone they think will only use the card sparingly?

That being said, I think it could be a great PR move for them to credit everyone. It would be all over the news; they could become a lot of peoples only card if they did this. Their image would become the card that takes care of their customers, overnight. But then again I don’t know how much this is really going to cost them. So, what do I know?

bsharp

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Oh c'mon! When will the apple-istas just except the egregious nature of this move by Apple and move on?

I love, love, love my iPhone, but if someone was willing to give me my full $200 back I'd take it in a second, and I fully support anyone who can get theirs.
"apple-istas?" Ouch.

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007
You bet that I will?! How do you know that? I take serious exception to this.

Apple said they will offer their in-store credit to those who received no other compensation. Therefore, if I receive $200 from Amex, I will not seek the Apple credit. I strive to never take what is not mine.
You sir are a stand up guy!

jordan6

Jul 26, 2007
Jordan6 - thank you for being a straight-up person and posting this visual proof.
Also, did you ever send them additional information and/or fill out that claim paper? Submit original receipts, statements, etc.

I have been a customer with them for at least 10 years. I have two gold cards and one platinum card on my account. I called AMEX last week and they told me they don't offer price protection blah blah like they have been telling everyone else. Then I read on this forum to call purchase protection, where the guy knew exactly what I was talking about, told me they usually don't do this, but they are going to maybe make an exception in this case. He asked me where I bought it, the total charged to my card, and if I had the 4GB or 8GB. I received no claim number and the call lasted about 5 minutes.

I got the generic email yesterday with two pdf attachments, one talking about purchase protection and the other saying I am only getting credited 105 and it's an exception they usually do not do. I am guessing I am only getting the 105 because either I have a 4GB model or because of the 100 difference from Apple.

I just checked and it showed up today on my account, here is what it looks like: GOODWILL CREDIT:pURCHASE PROT CLAIM
Reference No: 320072560211275656

jordan6

Jul 26, 2007
I just called and asked why my credit was 105, the guy told me because they are doing it as a courtesy and they are factoring the credit Apple is already giving me.

Waveguy

Bronze
Aug 18, 2007
I just called and asked why my credit was 105, the guy told me because they are doing it as a courtesy and they are factoring the credit Apple is already giving me.
That's fair... if AmEx were to give me $200, I wouldn't take Apple's $100 credit. But what AmEx should do is just give everyone a $100 refund.

mjeagent

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Northern Virginia
For the hell of it I just faxed in the completed claim form and all required information. Don't feel like giving them an easy reason not to refund me. Also, I have no problem if they decide to refund me $100 for each instead of $200, given the $100 Apple credit.

I'll let you guys know what I hear back.

Jul 1, 2007
That's fair... if AmEx were to give me $200, I wouldn't take Apple's $100 credit. But what AmEx should do is just give everyone a $100 refund.
I got my AMEX credit today. $428 for two iPhones. Maybe the new policy is just $100 instead of $200? I filed my claim last weekend.

jags86

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
needless to say, if i don't get my refund, AMEX will not be getting my $450 platinum renewal fee come november. Listen--I realize i purchased the phone for $600+tax. I'm fine with it. But if a credit card company, which i use almost exclusively, will not stand by a customer who A) has their (for all intents and purposes) highest product and B) spends a ton of money using their product--is basically slapping me in the face, telling me i'm a 2nd rate customer. If they gave the refund to some people, then I deserve the refund as well--especially since i have a platinum card. Needless to say, we'll see what a "supervisor" has to say about this when I tell him I will be dumping AMEX--if i don't get a refund.

z28black98

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
Tulsa, OK
needless to say, if i don't get my refund, AMEX will not be getting my $450 platinum renewal fee come november. Listen--I realize i purchased the phone for $600+tax. I'm fine with it. But if a credit card company, which i use almost exclusively, will not stand by a customer who A) has their (for all intents and purposes) highest product and B) spends a ton of money using their product--is basically slapping me in the face, telling me i'm a 2nd rate customer. If they gave the refund to some people, then I deserve the refund as well--especially since i have a platinum card. Needless to say, we'll see what a "supervisor" has to say about this when I tell him I will be dumping AMEX--if i don't get a refund.

to them you are just a pion. What about all their platinum businesss card holders and Centurion card members? If you really were a valued customer, you wouldn't be paying 450 for platinum fee, a lot of people have that waived because they are "such good customers" Not saying you don't spend a lot, I'm sure you do, but there a lot of other bigger fish in the sea. Especially the centurion card holders!