Amid Criticism, Apple Web Site Showing Off Alternate iOS 7 Icons

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Napoleon PhoneApart, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

2. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

First World Problems:

"Most notably, the website shows a Weather app icon that says 73 degrees in thin letters. That's far different from the icon unveiled earlier, which shows a sun covered by a cloud. That icon has been one of the most criticized parts of the operating system, with many saying it's too cartoonish and poorly designed.

Others complain that the cloud icon isn't helpful and would prefer an icon that displays current information, like some other iOS 7 apps do. The new Clock app, for example, shows the current time in its icon, and many would like the weather app to show the current temperature."

#2 Rafagon, Jun 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2014
  3. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

"Among the top complaints were the lack of consistency in some of the apps' designs and the heavy use of bright, neon colors."

Problem is neither of these things were changes in these "alternate" icons. most likely these were an older set they didn't use but posted by mistake. Note that they have corrected the image on their site earlier this week.

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios7/design/

yY883QJ.jpg

4. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

Does Apple have a mobile site? I didn't think they did. Anywho, the icons are growing on me, but having the weather icon change to temperature and conditions would be awesome. 'Cmon Apple, if you can make the clock icon move, certainly you can display the temp...

5. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

Having the clock show the time is not using data , unless your traveling between time zones. The weather app would Constantly be using data.

6. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

True, but with the new background multitasking in iOS7, that's already happening unless you turn it off for that app.

7. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

So they broke the theory that they are just suspended? They contuine to use data while in the background now?

8. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

9. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I'm anxious to see the new hardware, iOS 7 seems to finally be trying to compete feature wise though it has a way to go before it rivals Android (feature wise)

10. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

Yes, but Apple's not looking to sell phones with the most features and best specs, only the phone that caters to the masses (non-techy type people). In terms of simplicity, support, and functionality, they are head and shoulders above Android...

11. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I agree and those are the very reasons I own Apple devices. Nevertheless, my prior statement is true.

12. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

Absolutely. Just in the S4 alone there are bunches of advanced features that iPhones don't have.

13. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

True, some people find those features useful and important but for me, Apple has the right balance of functionality and simplicity.

14. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

True, and my HTC One has a bunch of advanced features as well. However, it also lacks a few things I've come to take for granted on my iPhone 5.

15. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

Exactly. Even though I'm a "techie", I still enjoy Apple products. It's the refinement of iOS and support for me.

16. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I had to research and look high and low for a music app for Android that would properly support gapless tracks for those albums that had them. That's not a big deal to many, but for me it's crucial.

17. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

It's the little things in iOS that people tend to take for granted.