Amid Criticism, Apple Web Site Showing Off Alternate iOS 7 Icons

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida

First World Problems:

"Most notably, the website shows a Weather app icon that says 73 degrees in thin letters. That's far different from the icon unveiled earlier, which shows a sun covered by a cloud. That icon has been one of the most criticized parts of the operating system, with many saying it's too cartoonish and poorly designed.

Others complain that the cloud icon isn't helpful and would prefer an icon that displays current information, like some other iOS 7 apps do. The new Clock app, for example, shows the current time in its icon, and many would like the weather app to show the current temperature."

Last edited by a moderator:

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
"Among the top complaints were the lack of consistency in some of the apps' designs and the heavy use of bright, neon colors."

Problem is neither of these things were changes in these "alternate" icons. most likely these were an older set they didn't use but posted by mistake. Note that they have corrected the image on their site earlier this week.

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios7/design/

yY883QJ.jpg

jmp316

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 10, 2008
Does Apple have a mobile site? I didn't think they did. Anywho, the icons are growing on me, but having the weather icon change to temperature and conditions would be awesome. 'Cmon Apple, if you can make the clock icon move, certainly you can display the temp...

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
True, but with the new background multitasking in iOS7, that's already happening unless you turn it off for that app.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
I'm anxious to see the new hardware, iOS 7 seems to finally be trying to compete feature wise though it has a way to go before it rivals Android (feature wise)

jmp316

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 10, 2008
I'm anxious to see the new hardware, iOS 7 seems to finally be trying to compete feature wise though it has a way to go before it rivals Android (feature wise)
Yes, but Apple's not looking to sell phones with the most features and best specs, only the phone that caters to the masses (non-techy type people). In terms of simplicity, support, and functionality, they are head and shoulders above Android...

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
Yes, but Apple's not looking to sell phones with the most features and best specs, only the phone that caters to the masses (non-techy type people). In terms of simplicity, support, and functionality, they are head and shoulders above Android...
I agree and those are the very reasons I own Apple devices. Nevertheless, my prior statement is true.