Amy Winehouse dead at 27 R.I.P.

CanadianNemo

Genius
Gold
Aug 31, 2010
For me it's not the value of life - it's the value of their contributions to society. Despite her flaws, Amy Winehouse at least contributed some pretty good music in an industry of crap. Even if you don't care for her music, it's still a hell of a lot more than Brian Dunn ever did.
But that goes both ways. Even if you don't care for Jackass stunts, a lot of people found entertainment from it and are missing Ryan Dunn's contributions to that, as idiotic as YOU may think it is. I have no natural talents, but I feel pretty confident that my death would be mourned.

Reactions: Bennyboy

IllusionEntity

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 3, 2010
Borough Green, Kent, UK
Oh god, here we go. Dunn was a legend for doing dumb crap and died (taking another person with him, by the way) doing dumb crap. Amy at least had talent and a gift.
At least he entertained people and was a good man. He always put on a show and took time for his many fans. Amy couldn't even perform at some of her shows due to being a crackhead.

You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
You know what's funny, that you slaughtered Ryan thread because he made a living about doing stuns and died from doing one, here we have someone who got famous from making a song about not wanting to go to rehab and guess what, she died because of it. How ironic.
What contribution did she have on society than Ryan didn't, who's the judge of that? How is it measured?
doing crack is better then jumping from the first floor to make people laugh?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
But that goes both ways. Even if you don't care for Jackass stunts, a lot of people found entertainment from it and are missing Ryan Dunn's contributions to that, as idiotic as YOU may think it is. I have no natural talents, but I feel pretty confident that my death would be mourned.
No, it doesn't have to go both ways. There are many documented benefits of studying and listening to music. I dare say there aren't any for acting like a jackass, but there are a ton of negative effects. So, in my view, any Influence AW had on anyone to study music, or even just listen to it, far outweighs the influence RD had on young kids to go out and "Poo Dive".

You are a completely different situation. Of course AW and RD, just like you and the rest of us, have friends and family that will mourn their death. But when people are mourned in the public eye, it should be for their public contributions.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
You know what's funny, that you slaughtered Ryan thread because he made a living about doing stuns and died from doing one, here we have someone who got famous from making a song about not wanting to go to rehab and guess what, she died because of it. How ironic.
What contribution did she have on society than Ryan didn't, who's the judge of that? How is it measured?
doing crack is better then jumping from the first floor to make people laugh?
See post above.

By the way, AW was already a successful artist before she released the "rehab" song.

CanadianNemo

Genius
Gold
Aug 31, 2010
No, it doesn't have to go both ways. There are many documented benefits of studying and listening to music. I dare say there aren't any for acting like a jackass, but there are a ton of negative effects. So, in my view, any Influence AW had on anyone to study music, or even just listen to it, far outweighs the influence RD had on young kids to go out and "Poo Dive".

You are a completely different situation. Of course AW and RD, just like you and the rest of us, have friends and family that will mourn their death. But when people are mourned in the public eye, it should be for their public contributions.
But then look at her public contributions. She wasn't exactly a role model. She was born with a wonderful talent, but that's about as much as she did with respect to the public. Don't get me wrong, I personally find her death tragic, but I don't agree with your methods of evaluation. What else is new? ;)

Reactions: Bennyboy

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
I didn't say that's what you said.
but what's the difference of what I'm feeling right now to what YOU felt for Dunn? Rayn made people laugh but that wasn't enough contribution to society according to you so what's the difference than what I'm feeling right now? I was never here to attack her.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
sorry I have mix feeling for a millionaire drug addict. can we now move on? I explained to you that my raged started from Facebook, tweeter CNN and so on talking more about her death then the kids in Norway. want me to write about my life so you'll understand why or you'll take my word for it?
She got more attention and that's not fair, someone who doesn't have respect for her own life is not gonna get too much respect from me, I learned that here. thank you.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
hey, i'm not arguing that you have to like her. I was simply explaining how I don't consider my positions on AW and RD to be contradictory, as you asked.

I get that the situation in Norway should probably be getting more attention than it has. I just find it odd that you only bring it up in this thread to belittle AW rather than actually creating its own thread. I mean your whole beef is that Norway isn't getting as much coverage, right?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
But then look at her public contributions. She wasn't exactly a role model. She was born with a wonderful talent, but that's about as much as she did with respect to the public. Don't get me wrong, I personally find her death tragic, but I don't agree with your methods of evaluation. What else is new? ;)
The same could be said about RD, thus my point here still stands.

CanadianNemo

Genius
Gold
Aug 31, 2010
The same could be said about RD, thus my point here still stands.
You're missing my point. The exact same could be said for RD. And that's the exact point that you did, in fact, make. I'm just saying that I don't understand why you're so quick to overlook AW's equally bad (or, for some, more idiotic) public behavior just because she was born with a gift. It seems as though you meant the value of a person's career choice, rather than the value of their personal contributions to society. Could that be where we're crossing lines here?