An App for GPS Tracking your kids?

Discussion in 'iPhone Apps and Games' started by ericq, Sep 22, 2008.

1. ericq

ericq New Member

Hey all,
    Brand new to the forum, did a gps search and couldn't find a question like this.

Verizon has a new service called Chaperone to monitor where your kids cellphone is
    on a google type map, which looks awesome - but don't want verizon service.

anyone know if there is a good iPhone app that can do this?
    I saw the GPS Tracker app but on that, you have to be running in the foreground the whole
    time for it to work and drains the battery a lot from what i read.

My wife really wants to GPS our son but instead of buying into some 3rd party product
    and paying a monthly fee for doing it - I'd rather get him an iPhone and load an app that I can
    track him with.

BTW, just for others in case you are thinking just want to do this for safety when
    he's at his father's out or incase of an emergency - We definitely are not trying to play
    the big brother role here.

Thanks!
    Eric

#1 ericq, Sep 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2013
  2. Nutchos

Nutchos New Member
    Bronze

There aren't any, even if someone made one it wouldn't be able to run in the background because of Apples policies. Besides wouldn't the batteries just drain in like 1-2 hrs.

3. kenneth

kenneth Zealot
    Gold

how old is your son? Does he know your trying to get gps on him?

4. styfle

styfle Zealot
    Gold

good question

5. MorganSmith

MorganSmith New Member

I would suggest the SafeTREC application to you because it will not just allow you to track the current location of your child but also the application is a big help during emergency situations. It has a panic button that your child could use to summon for help and ask for an immediate response. I use this application to ensure the safety of my kids and I find it very useful. Try to check on their website to know more about the application: http://safetrec.com/.

6. Coolstrategist

Bronze

I actually loaded FoneHome two days ago but was very skeptical. I have since found it does an excellent job.

http://appshopper.com/utilities/fonehome

After checking the online FoneHome tracking of my cell phone location over the last two days I have been very impressed with how it maps all the locations I went to...including the current location. For $1.99 it could be your solution. I bought it to locate my phone if I lose it (instead of $50 or so for mobileme) but clearly realize this can serve many other purposes.

I have the iPhone 4 and have not noticed any significant battery drain period.

lol..by the way..this thread is extremely dated...lol

7. aknightstale41

Gold

AT&T has a service called "Family Map", his phone only needs to be on for it to locate him or her anywhere within 15 feet...you can track them on your phone or computer.

8. Coolstrategist

Bronze

9. aknightstale41

Gold

This is of course a good point, but many users disagree with your results and say it is still a huge battery drain and a waste of money, but I'll have to check what kind of results I get with it first hand because it can be potentially a helpful app if it works as advertised.

10. cp3da

cp3da New Member

I would suggest "iSharing" app. It support real-time GPS tracking and nearby alerts. When my kid move far away from me, iSharing app send me message.

http://tiny.cc/ev1rm

11. GoalieEd

GoalieEd Member
    Bronze

For short term use (and consent of the sender) glimpse is a free program. But you can't leave it on all the time as it will kill the battery unless plugged in. Great for meeting up with my wife though.

12. Coolstrategist

Bronze

Yeah...definitely give it a try. I have had it a few days now and honestly do not see any difference in battery usage on my 4. For 2 bucks what the heck.

Grab a Zagg 2.0 and you will be good to go and still save money vs ATT. lol

13. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

Our iPhones are JB'd and longitude basically allows google latitude to work with it. I have it set to sync every 15mins and do not notice any battery issues.
    Latitude is free and works from desktop browser, Android, blackberry and with this tweak, iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

14. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

That a motorola only app? I can't find better details without having to register. Please provide the link to details else it seems like a fail to me.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe

15. yong0726

yong0726 New Member

How about this app?

16. TxFireman1972

TxFireman1972 Member
    Bronze

I tried this for a month, it is definitely not accurate within 15 feet. Sometimes, I was lucky if it showed within 2 blocks of there the phone actually was.

17. aknightstale41

Gold

Could be AT&T's super great coverage, ;)
    Seems some areas get better results then others.

18. janer

janer New Member

I think the problem with a lot of the apps out there is that they require a data plan for the child's phone which gets very expensive, very quickly. The only app that I've ever seen that doesn't require a data plan and doesn't have any monthly subscription charges is the Safety Gate Locator (ayrtec.com). Unfortunately, it's an android-only product.

19. Booyow1204

Booyow1204 Contributor
    Silver

What about find my iPhone? its a free app. It's an app used to track the phone itself but seems like it would work for your purposes.

It just needs to be installed on the phone that you want to track and you can check the location w/a phone or computer that has the app.

This would work as long as the child you want to track doesn't delete or turn off the phone GPS. Probably requires their cooperation.

20. btitus

btitus Contributor
    Silver

I use Find My iPhone to keep up with my Pre-teen

Sent from my iPhone5 using iCafe app