An app got stuck on "Waiting" and stubbornly stayed that way for a while

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by Rafagon, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Well, here's something different. I attemped the icon to launch the "Tailor - Automatic Screenshot Stitching" app, which I've done numerous times successfully.

But instead of launching, the app icon dimmed and the app name changed to "Waiting…"

I force-quit all apps but the problem persisted. I turned the phone off and back on, and the problem persisted. The app was still dimmed and below the icon the "Waiting…" tag remained.

I know it cannot be iOS attempting to perform an app update in the background, because I have "Automatic Downloads" for "Apps" set to off. I perform my app updates manually.

I long-tapped the app to get it jiggling so I could delete it, as usual. The usual prompt came up ("Deleting Tailor will also delete all of its data"). I tapped "Delete". And then things got even weirder. The phone reset by itself—the Apple logo appeared, then disappeared, and after a couple of seconds the SpringBoard came back on. I looked for the app icon. The app was not deleted, but its "Waiting…" status was gone—the app was back to normal!

Below is a screenshot of the event:

App Stuck on Waiting.jpg

Have any of you ever experienced this—with any app?

I have a theory—could this be the App Thinning process gone wrong… i.e., the app was trying to download another "piece" (additional resources) of itself from the App Store that it needed and got stuck? But if this is in fact what was happening, why did it happen now? I've used the app sucessfully a number of times. But here's an important tidbit: It's a small app (18.4 MB in size) so it's doubtful the developer would have bothered to implement App Thinning for it.

After the phone reset itself and the app icon went back to normal, I launched the app to test whether this would happen again. It did not. The app launched successfully.

2. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

When I have that, I go to Settings >General >Usage > Manage storage > scroll down to the App. > Tap on the app> delete it..
    Then go to the App on the screen and press to wiggle, then delete the remnants.
    Then go to the App Store and download again.

3. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Thanks for your reply!

I totally understand the first step, but I'm confused about the second step: "Go to the App on the screen to press to wiggle, then delete the remnants(?!)" What remnants? Wouldn't the first step kill the app and all its data?

..But I suppose I'll get a chance to try it soon enough if it happens again.

For you, has it only happened with that Tailor app, or has it happened with others as well?

4. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

LOL. The remnants look like the old 50s TV screen with lines all in it. No image left. Just lines.
    It won't delete until you delete in Settings. But that last bit is still on screen.

5. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

OK, when you have an app that's stuck in "waiting...", and pressing on it does nothing, then go and delete it in Settings. Afterwards, you'll notice a bit left still on the screen even though it's been deleted. That's what I referred to as remnants. It looks like this:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445613189.335899.jpg

So. Now you can press to wiggle and delete it from the screen.

6. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Wow, okay. Now I have a picture of what you meant by "remnants". I'll watch out for that if I ever get another nasty "Waiting…" situation. I'm sure I'll be using the app that originally caused it (Tailor) often enough, so if that app is the culprit, and iOS 9.1 did not fix the issue, then I'll probably experience it again.