An extra upgrade

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by bballrob, Nov 11, 2013.

1. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

So last spring I dumped my actual land line service cat home in favor of AT&T's Wireless Home Phone service.

This past week it dawned in me that this's essentially gives me an additional upgrade on my account for the future.

Anyone else use this service? Basically, they give you a receiver that works off the cell network that you plug your land line phone into and it works like a charm. Added it to my plan for 9.99 per month as an additional line, which is less than I was paying for home service.

I got it when they introduced it so the receiver was free.

Anyone else use this service? I'd like to dump my home phone altogether, but my wife won't go for that since we are sometimes both still gone and kids are home alone. We have one teen that had a cell, but 5 more kids that don't.

Sent using iCafe app

2. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

I was going to say we have no more land line but I see why you do.
    I never even heard of it since we had no "Homephone" since years now.

3. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I think Verizon has something like that. I opted not to get it. Empty nest here.

Sent on iPhone 5 using iCafe app

4. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

The biggest problem with dumping your land line is accessing the correct 911 operator for your home in an emergency. I cannot speak to the area you live in but, where I am at, a cellular call to 911 can randomly go to any of 5 different Police/Fire agencies, depending on which cell tower the call connects to, which wastes time routing the call to the correct agency. During an emergency those wasted seconds or minutes can be crucial. If you cannot keep a traditional land line, post the non-emergency phone number for your local police and fire departments at each house phone and be sure everyone in the house is aware of why those numbers are there. Confirm this with your local department but usually, the person answering the non-emergency line is the same person who would answer a 911 call or can switch the call to that dispatcher almost immediately so only a few seconds are wasted rather than minutes. The best method is to consult with your local department to find out the best way for ensuring that an emergency call from a cell phone, at your home, gets to them in the first place.

#4 iPutz, Nov 15, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

So to get faster emergency response, call a non-emergency number rather than 911? That sounds counterintuitive. Do you work 911 dispatch?

6. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

I know just enough about 911 dispatch to be dangerous and what he said makes sense also based on what I've heard regarding how cell phones connect to 911. It's a valid point and one to consider.

Sent using iCafe app in my AirPad

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It probably depends on where you live. However, 911 is intended to handle and route emergencies and purposefully avoiding it to go through the non-emergency channels is probably irksome to most non-emergency dispatchers and I think it could waste time in a lot of instances.

8. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I'm 100% in agreement.

9. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

And I 100% disagree.

Sent using iCafe app from the Golden iPhone

10. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Ok, but you are arguing the point with two RNs very familiar with the 911 system.

11. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

No, I don't, but I have checked with my police/fire department and was given a direct to the dispatcher number that will be answered faster than if a cellular 911 call goes to a neighboring town's dispatcher and has to be re-routed back to my town. This is especially true if the person making the call is incapacitated and cannot speak clearly (stroke?). Valuable time is lost figuring out where the call should go and then routing it there.

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Most cell phones have GPS. By law, 911 calls made without a response from the caller have to be followed up on/investigated. As far as I know, calls to non-emergency numbers do not.

So let me get this straight - you are advising people who have strokes or are unable to speak for a variety of other reasons call a NON-emergency number to seek help? Alrighty then...

13. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

I am not advising anyone to do anything, I am only reporting what my situation was and how I handled it; no more, no less. Everyone else needs to be aware of the possible ramifications of doing away with their land line and make their own decisions based on their own circumstances. GPS can be a very inaccurate means of determining a phone's location depending on obstructions in the way of the signal, assuming the phone is even equipped with GPS and it is functional. Walk to the middle of the ground floor of a 6 flat apartment building and try to determine your location with the GPS and the maps app in your iPhone and you will see what I mean.

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

There are rare exceptions to almost every rule, such as a high apartment buildings without a landline when you don't know the address, but as a general rule of thumb 911 should be used. It is the service intended for emergencies and the fastest way to quickly get help in most instances.

15. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

I cannot and won't disagree with your statement, however, anyone choosing to do away with a traditional hard wired land line should know that problems with dialing 911 from a cell phone or internet based phone system can and do end up with the call going to the wrong jurisdiction and that the resulting delays in getting help when time is most crucial, do exist. Knowing that this is a possibility, those people considering doing away with a land line should look into that possibility with their local authorities before doing so and then decide how their situation can best be handled before an emergency arises.

I admit that I may be a little overly sensitive to this subject but that is because of personal experience and the experiences of two other friends in different parts of our country. Having said that, I think our discussion of this is good in that it brings awareness of the problem to a wider audience. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. In the words of someone much smarter then me "Knowledge is power".