An idea for AT&T users wanting to switch to T-Mobile without paying cancelation fee

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
This just came to me this morning. When you sign-up for T-Mobile, they're going to give you a new phone at a discounted price. As long as the discount is as at least (or near to) $175, then you just sell the new phone on eBay to counteract the $175 cancellation fee from AT&T. Am I right?

And even if you don't quite get the $175 back, T-Mobile has cheaper plans so you'll make back a lot of money in the long run anyway.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
why would anyone want to switch to t-mobile? it's smaller and doesn't even have a 3G network in place at all. the customer service is better .. but most never use it anyway.
Well your iPhone doesn't have 3G either, so IMO that's a moot point. And as far as the why, like I said, T-Mobile is cheaper. I did the math and for all the same features (besides Visual Voicemail), it's $20 less a month. That's $240 less in 2 years. EDIT: Sorry, $480 in 2 years.

Also, AT&T doesn't get service where I work and T-Mobile does. That's a personal reason though.

ahduke99

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Charleston aka Chucktown, SC
Well your iPhone doesn't have 3G either, so IMO that's a moot point. And as far as the why, like I said, T-Mobile is cheaper. I did the math and for all the same features (besides Visual Voicemail), it's $20 less a month. That's $240 less in 2 years.

Also, AT&T doesn't get service where I work and T-Mobile does. That's a personal reason though.
fair enough .. but the next iPhone will have 3G we can assume .. and then you'll be locked in tmobile for 2 years and wanting out ... but if you want tmobile your plan works well.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
fair enough .. but the next iPhone will have 3G we can assume .. and then you'll be locked in tmobile for 2 years and wanting out ... but if you want tmobile your plan works well.
Well if I want out of T-Mobile and back into AT&T I'll just do the exact same plan again... get AT&T and my discounted phone with them and then sell it on eBay. It's just an endless cycle. We never need their discounted phones since the iPhone isn't discounted. This gives us an edge all the time.

ciaran00

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
why would anyone want to switch to t-mobile? it's smaller and doesn't even have a 3G network in place at all. the customer service is better .. but most never use it anyway.
Wow... that AT&T 3G network is going to come in handy with your 3G-handicapped iPhone. Great reply.

T-mobile only locks you in for 1 year.

If you don't talk a lot, the move to tmob doesn't make sense. But 1,000 mins + 300 SMS + tzones is a better deal than AT&T's 450 for me...the internet plan comes with all wifi tmob hotspots across the nation.

I will sell the phone I get when my tmob rolls over to another year contract in Oct. But good idea wildonrio...

Also, don't know about you guys, but 24 hour phone support for tmob. What a difference it makes...

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
wildonrio said:
it's $20 less a month. That's $240 less in 2 years.
The engineer in me made me look at this three times :p...... ($480 in 2 years)

I might do this, but I want to wait until early next year for the "if" to get answered on a v2 iPhone

ciaran00

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Yeah, it's like getting an iPhone bought for you. If you don't count the two free cell phones you get from tmob as well.