"An update to your carrier settings is available for download"

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I just checked for an update and was offered an update to my carrier settings. What is that about? I would have just done it but I'm jailbroken and I don't know what that would have done...

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Supposed to be very, very little in this, per MobileCrunch (via TUAW):

"So what's actually in this update?

Logo replacements, apparently, for AT&T's upcoming MicroCell service (at the time of this writing, the page is in maintenance mode). 2 images, light and dark versions of the image on the left ..."

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
So does it actually update my software from 2.2.1 to something different?

cpolaris502

Bronze
Nov 15, 2007
Rogers, MN
I don't think so, but not positive as I haven't tried it yet - hate cabling up / syncing etc. - it should all be effin wireless ...
you charge your phone, right? So whats the trouble in syncing?

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
All this does is add a new image
Search the forums and you will find a few other threads

cpolaris502

Bronze
Nov 15, 2007
Rogers, MN
It doesn't effect jailbreak in any way. I just did the update.

MrEous

Silver
Dec 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
Supposed to be very, very little in this, per MobileCrunch (via TUAW):

"So what's actually in this update?

Logo replacements, apparently, for AT&T's upcoming MicroCell service (at the time of this writing, the page is in maintenance mode). 2 images, light and dark versions of the image on the left ..."
Just some info on 'what' 3G MicroCell is...™

What is an AT&T 3G MicroCell™?

AT&T 3G MicroCell acts like a mini cellular tower in your home or small businesss environment. It connects to AT&T's network via your existing broadband internet service (such as DSL or cable) and is designed to support up to 10 3G capable wireless phones in a home or small businesss setting. With AT&T 3G MicroCell, you receive improved cellular signal performance for both voice calls and cellular data applications, like picture messaging and surfing the web for up to 4 simultaneous users.
Device Features:
  • Enhanced coverage indoors - supports both voice and data up to 5000 square feet.
  • Available unlimited minute plans - Individual or Family Plan.
  • 3G handset compatible - works with any AT&T 3G Phone.
  • Up to 4 simultaneous voice or data users supported.
  • Device is secure - cannot be accessed by unauthorized users, easy and secure online management of device settings
  • Seamless call hand-over - start calls on your 3G MicroCell and continue uninterrupted even if you leave the building.
Device Requirements:
  • 3G wireless phone/device
  • Broadband service over DSL or cable
  • Computer with internet access for online registration
Additional Information:
  • Installing your device near a window is strongly recommended to ensure access to Global Positioning System (GPS). A GPS link is needed to verify the device location during the initial startup.
  • The 3G MicroCell device is portable. The device may be moved, provided the new location is within the AT&T authorized service area and properly registered online.