Analyst thinks bigger iPhone could have faster CPU

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by Rafagon, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

At least one analyst thinks Apple may give the 5.5" iPhone 6 a more powerful processor than that given to the 4.7" model, according to AppleInsider.

If this were true, would it give you more of a reason to want the 5.5" iPhone 6?

2. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Nah! Fast is fast. They're all fast now. What difference would 1/100th of a second make? Or whatever it would be? If the 4.7" is as fast as my iP5, I'll be happy. Much faster and we'll need to bring in Albert Einstein to help when I get stuck in the past, then back to the present. :confused:

3. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

It makes sense. If the 5.5 inch iP6 will have a higher resolution display, a more powerful SoC would be needed to compensate. I plan on upgrading to the largest iPhone anyway so a faster CPU is just a perk.

4. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

I thought about this and was :mad:(torn). I wanted to put a different word there.

I decided whichever the flagship iPhone will be that is what I'll be getting.

5. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

We have reached our limit on speed. If there is any difference, it is a fraction of a second or hardly noticeable. Apple needs to focus in more important concerns such as UI/UX. IMHO, speed doesn't sell the device. It's the entire package.

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

That is not true. You're making the assumption that software will stagnate from this point on. New graphically-intense games are going to continue to push the hardware to its limits. They will require specs better than the 5s. They will be laggy or not work at all on it. Even the current iOS firmware in a few years won't run well on an iPhone 5s.

7. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

Well, it is an assumption. The fact of the matter is you can only push hardware so far. It's not a revolutionary change.

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I didn't say it was a revolutionary change. I disagreed that we have reached a limit on speed. It's small changes every year, but these hardware improvements are what allows the newer software to run well. It can continue to be pushed every year and the newest software and games will depend on it.

9. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

You're right that we do make small changes every year. I just seem to think that eventually you hit a threshold. This doesn't stop the hardware being pushed to the max but it does raise the question if that time and energy might be better spent elsewhere.

10. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Analyst thinks...

Stop right there.:censored:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Only if software stagnates and that's not going to happen. They have plenty of people working on all aspects of the phone and if they needed more people, they would hire them. Software doesn't suffer because there are people working to make hardware improvements. They need to improve both to stay in the game. The other cell phone manufactures are improving both.

12. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Every threshold that is reached this year will be breached the next. It would be very boring if the top engineers and scientists just said "Okay, we've reached the limit" and stopped trying.

As to whether that time and energy might be better spent elsewhere, there will always be some people who think so. That time and energy might be better spent searching for a cure for cancer, or trying to eliminate poverty, you name it. But so far, I haven't seen any field of research simply be put on hold because the resources going into it might be better spent on another one. As long as WWIII doesn't start, every field will keep advancing indefinitely. We will not reach any limits anytime soon.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

No threshold. However, there will come a time when our iPhones are so fast, that an email sent today will be received yesterday. :D

14. efuseakay

efuseakay Contributor
    Silver

And 128k of memory is all you'll ever need!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I'm kind of like @silvermoon. My mind can't comprehend there's no top out point to speed. It's like trying to comprehend infinity of space. More power I understand. I have accepted the hypothesis of more speed. Speed is always important, but there does come a point where speed becomes moot. Especially if it's at the expense of less battery or touch screen performance. Those have not been an issue thus far, but could be at some point. Our carriers and wifi providers can slow us down, so we do need all the speed our phones can muster.

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's really not difficult to comprehend. I know you're not a gamer, but think about the difference between today's computer games and those of the '80s. You're struggling to understand it for the same reason silvermoon is/was - you're envisioning tomorrow's hardware running today's software. Though you may not be able to imagine things opening any faster or performing any better than they do on the 5s (they can), future software and games would lag tremendously. If you can accept that, you'll see through that limit you think exists.

The batteries will improve over time along with the other hardware. Touch screen performance is not a trade-off with processing speed improvement.