And how is Cingular these days?

A

austguy

Just my $.02, we live in central Texas and Cingular has been fine for us. There's one spot in town that we always loose signal, but everywhere else is fine.

I also use the data connection quite frequently on my Treo 650 and I've been pleased with that service as well.

May 25, 2007
You should see when you become eligible for an upgrade next. I believe that you become eligible every 18 months as opposed to having to wait 2 years for your plan to re-up. Than you should be able to purchase a new phone for the re-up price.

I HEARD something about them letting current cingulars get some kind of deal. I'm assuming extending their contracts. Also, yes you are eligible for an early upgrade at 18 mos as long as your account is in good standing ie. no late payments, service interruptions, etc.

May 25, 2007
Everyone is questioning the iPhone and this is as any product by Steve. We get it when we do, it will get a lot better, the price will go down. You will hate him at times as you buy more iPhones to keep up.

What I want to know is how is Cingular? There are still horror stories circulating and rightfully so about the time when Cingular teamed up with ATT and provided cell service in the ATT's phone, DSL, and cell phone package. The network was one of the worst in our hilly area, the service lacking and the tendency to overbill customers amazing? How can I leave Nextell? (I still won't call it Sprint) I don't even like nor really carry a cell phone and yet I want my hand held mini computer with no memory that can make calls. I do!

I've had cingular for as long as I can remember and I've never had any "bad service," I've been through tons of phones, upgraded, downgraded plans, driven across states with good service, etc. I've never had any bad customer support. I always tend to be REALLY NICE to them even if i'm super pissed that way I get my way with them. (such as getting them to knock off money for overages on calls & texts). >:-D

May 16, 2007
ATT in Washington state

How is Cingular/ATT service in western Washington state?

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
How is Cingular/ATT service in western Washington state?
That's where I'll be during June and July. Where are you at Zed? I'll be in Seattle, north of Seattle, and on the Peninsula. If I get the iPhone while I'm up there I sure hope it has good reception at the lake. ;)

MsErica

Jun 5, 2007
ATT network quality

I had an ATT wireless phone 3-4 years ago prior to the Cingular merger.

The network was okay but not great--I often didn't get enough bars in the Boston area where I live and in major metro areas where I travel often, NJ, NY and SF. New Hampshire also had some dead spots.

I have since switched to Verizon and am MUCH happier with the network, which is so good I never even look at the bars on my phone before calling.

My experience is several years old and I very much hope the ATT-Cingular network has improved since I really want the iPhone!

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
We've been with AT&T for years before the Cingular merger and we don't plan on leaving anytime soon. About 2 years ago I had some service issues with an influx of calls being made and got the "call failed" or "server busy" error keys a few times but other than those few weeks I have rarely been disappointed with AT&T. I would actually almost consider not getting the iPhone if it required I switch to Verizon or something of the sort.

Jun 10, 2007
I've have Cingular for like four years, and I've never had trouble with it. Granted, I live in mountain-less Florida, but I like it.

nrs02

Jun 12, 2007
I love cingular. I've been with them since 2002. I drive from FL to PA at least once a year and never find a dead spot. There a few months back my husband was always getting dropped calls, but i think thats because he dropped his phone one to many times.

jmcd

Jun 12, 2007
attingular

Everyone is questioning the iPhone and this is as any product by Steve. We get it when we do, it will get a lot better, the price will go down. You will hate him at times as you buy more iPhones to keep up.

What I want to know is how is Cingular? There are still horror stories circulating and rightfully so about the time when Cingular teamed up with ATT and provided cell service in the ATT's phone, DSL, and cell phone package. The network was one of the worst in our hilly area, the service lacking and the tendency to overbill customers amazing? How can I leave Nextell? (I still won't call it Sprint) I don't even like nor really carry a cell phone and yet I want my hand held mini computer with no memory that can make calls. I do!

It really depends on where you live as far as ATTingular (my way of combining the two). I get amazing service as long as I don't go too far from any real cities, but once I start driving down route 2-- it's a crapshoot. And that businesss about not dropping calls? BS! I drop about 7 a week or so.

jmcd

Jun 12, 2007
deals

I HEARD something about them letting current cingulars get some kind of deal. I'm assuming extending their contracts. Also, yes you are eligible for an early upgrade at 18 mos as long as your account is in good standing ie. no late payments, service interruptions, etc.

I've got my fingers crossed about these upgrade deals and the iPhone. I mean, I don't expect wonders... but for a two year contract renewal... you'd think they could knock off 50-100 bucks, right?