And Now For Something Completely Different...

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by Napoleon PhoneApart, May 5, 2014.

1. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

The guy went into detail on this Tumblr blog. This seem as far fetched as iOS running Android apps.

3. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

You can run Android apps on iOS? Cool!

4. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

That means I can run..thinking... still thinking. Oh, forget it.

5. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

You were going to say that you can run an iOS simulator on your iPhone.

6. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I kid Android, but I do like it, at least the stock version of it. Been switching daily and now back on the iPhone until the Moto X arrives.

We need a cross-platform section here.

7. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I kid Android, but I have issues with a lot of their apps.

8. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

Did your Moto X arrive today? Do you like your wood back? I tested my daughter's Moto X for about 3-4 days and I loved the size. I also preferred the stock version of Android over Touchwiz on the S3 that I have for work.

9. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

It did. Unfortunately, it had a small, but noticeable manufacturers defect on the bamboo. Though it feels like wood, there is a coating. It felt like an indent where a small piece was missing. I suppose some wouldn't be bothered by it, but I wanted a perfect phone.

I processed an RMA and should receive my new phone on Tuesday. I didn't want anything to happen to what now is a loaner, so the Moto X remains in the box.

The wood back is awesome. I was going to opt for teak, but after watching a few videos, people said the bamboo felt more like a natural wood. I'm not sure why or what finishes the back. I'll post a few pictures later this afternoon when I get back home. If it weren't for the defect, I would be 100 percent pleased with the look and feel. It's awesome. The Moto X is the Moto X. Mostly a stock experience with some useful feature adds and an average at best camera. A phone that feels great, with a big, but not too big screen. The GS4 screen is definitely brighter and more vivid. I'm happy I made the move, although when the X +1 comes out, I might be kicking myself a bit. Still, at the price, it's a fair value. Plus, I'll likely get a chance to review the new model for eA.

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I've noticed a lot of reports of defects with the various types of wood on this model. I paid attention to it when the second one I saw also had a defect (yours was the first). It's mainly bulging, bubbling and dimples. Many think it has to do with the manufacturing process and the adhesive not being properly applied. I imagine they'll improve QC for the wood after they get enough returns. Good luck with your replacement!

11. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

Did you get your replacement in today?

12. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

It came on Monday, but just yesterday took the time to set it up. Doing my SIM popping today. I'm real happy with the build quality on this one. While I typically use cases, I'm going without one and it'll probably result in some 'natural' wear. I can't see putting a case on such a beautiful phone and losing the feel of the wood.

Outside of a web analytics tracking app, I'm able to find suitable replacements on Android. The rubber banding and smooth feel of iOS is still a big advantage for the iPhone. Display also looks better outside than on this or pretty much any Android phone I've used - the GS4 was terrible outside, though it could have been the Spigen Glas.t I had installed.

Motorola's doing the best by Android. They don't muck up Android. Instead, they carefuly build enhancements.

Interesting factoid. When two former Googlers joined Motorola, they removed 70% of the Motorola code from their Android phones. It's a big reason why these phones might not have the best processors, but still provide for a better, faster experience.

I shot a couple of photos of the wood back and put them in this thread.