And So It Begins - Samsung's Secret Weapon

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
I have a Black Onyx S7 Edge and I must say the color and quality are pretty good; however, a Black Onyx Note 7 doesn't change the fact that I just don't trust the device.

Oct 24, 2010
Denver, CO
Samsung may want to test the heck out of the battery before rushing this new phone out. I don't think Samsung could take another round of exploding phones. They may be hit on the 4th of July, but not any other day.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
To be honest, I think people are exaggerating the situation. Sure, from a customer's point of view, the first batch of the Note 7 affected Samsung's reputation and trust, but let me tell you that when they fix that, people will still buy the device because spec-wise it is the best Android phone in the market.

And with only a 5% decrease in its projected net income, the situation may not be as bad as people make it out to be; let's not forget that smart phones aren't the only things Samsung invests in. To me, it is more of a hit to the reputation than to the actual economics and statistics; if Samsung can make it up and earn people's trust again, they'll be fine, and let's not forget that Apple, for instance, released a phone that actually bends and people still bought it in the millions!

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
I understand, I am just saying that factory problems and mistakes aren't the end of the world, especially to giants like Apple and Samsung. And whoever still kept their Note 7 after hearing all of these things is the one to blame.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
To be honest, I think people are exaggerating the situation. Sure, from a customer's point of view, the first batch of the Note 7 affected Samsung's reputation and trust, but let me tell you that when they fix that, people will still buy the device because spec-wise it is the best Android phone in the market.

And with only a 5% decrease in its projected net income, the situation may not be as bad as people make it out to be; let's not forget that smart phones aren't the only things Samsung invests in. To me, it is more of a hit to the reputation than to the actual economics and statistics; if Samsung can make it up and earn people's trust again, they'll be fine, and let's not forget that Apple, for instance, released a phone that actually bends and people still bought it in the millions!
I think they'll survive, but I think this will hit Samsung harder than you think. It's going to take a while to restore trust. Hell, the first thing you hear when they announce airline boarding is a warning about Samsung Note 7's. It makes you realize how big this is.

A phone that can bend, but probably won't, isn't as big of a deal as a phone that might blow up in your face or take a plane down.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
You're right and I agree with you, but I just brought it up as an example of how a huge company can recover from an issue, even if it is as big as an unsafe battery or as silly as a phone that bends (although for someone who is nit-picky like myself, it's pretty much a deal-breaker). After buying the S7 Edge, I must admit that it exceeded my subpar expectations of a Samsung product, which is why I kind of feel for them at the moment since they do produce good quality and reliable phones nowadays and wanted to break from the stereotype that a Samsung phone is just a name rather than a quality device.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida

Woesong

Bronze
Feb 12, 2013
After buying the S7 Edge, I must admit that it exceeded my subpar expectations of a Samsung product, which is why I kind of feel for them at the moment since they do produce good quality and reliable phones nowadays and wanted to break from the stereotype that a Samsung phone is just a name rather than a quality device.
I've really developed a trust is the experience of those who have operated a phone for some time, even more than the experts who fiddle with the gadget for a few minutes. I was able to take advantage of a Samsung offer of a 30-day trial of a Galaxy S6 Edge last year, and would've traded my iPhone 6 Plus for it had the offer been made.

However, it did seem the Galaxy was a mite skittish, with more apps crashing over time and the tendency of the device to race off in all directions like a highly-strung thoroughbred.

So what's your experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
@Woesong I am not one to make decisions solely based on expert reviews, either, because I feel like they are either biased or paid sometimes. I have had this phone for a couple of months now and I am very happy with its performance, both battery-wise and speed-wise. I was always scared of TouchWiz because I had horrible experiences with it in the past, but they have done a complete overhaul of how it works, performs, and just how reliable it is on a day to day usage. I must add that I am not running the stock ROM, though, but I am running a custom ROM called Renovate Edge, which basically has the same interface as the stock ROM but with under-the-hood modifications to make it even better.

I fiddled around with some other Android phones before I purchased this one, like the HTC 10, but I liked the build design, sturdiness, and responsiveness of the S7 Edge the most, even though I'm a huge HTC fan. I have not regretted my decision, however I must tell you that finding a proper cover while a protector screen is installed is a pain, because the screen protector's edges start to come out a little bit.