And the Retail Price is..........

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
I got this info off the web. Many of us were wondering. The wonder is over. Check it out.

July 1, 2008 6:57 AM PDT
AT&T releases iPhone 3G pricing details

Posted by Dawn Kawamoto 2 comments
AT&T announced pricing for the iPhone 3G on Tuesday, noting the popular smart phones will range from $199 for 8GB to $299 for 16GB to eligible customers.

AT&T will begin offering the iPhone 3G phones at its retail stores beginning July 11 at 8 a.m. local time. AT&T is the exclusive iPhone carrier in the United States.
Under its offering, the lower price will be available to only customers who purchased an iPhone before July 11, or are activating a new customer line with AT&T, or are eligible for an upgrade at the time of purchase. Customers also are required to sign a two-year contract.
AT&T customers who are not eligible for an upgrade discount can buy the iPhone 3G for $399 for 8GB model, or $499 for a 16GB version, under a two-year contract. Customers who purchase the phone without a contract would pay $599 for 8GB or $699 for a 16GB.
The phones will come with the iPhone 2.0 software preloaded on the devices, which includes such enhancements as businesss-class e-mail through Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync and the iPhone Software Development Kit for creating customized applications. AT&T will also offer its Yellowpages.com Mobile for iPhone on the devices.

Last edited by a moderator:

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
This was posted a little bit before you, but thanks anyways though.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
LOL! Sorry I didn't see it. :eek: Can we delete the thread then? Don't want to have too much of the same thing.

Sorry everyone, not trying to clog up the posting. :sick:
Lol, its okay. You were just trying to be helpful. Im not sure if you can delete a thread, but im sure Chris or one of the mods can.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
its a bit harsh what there doing at AT&T over in england you get the phone free on a £45 a month contract and above, even though thats only the 8gb! but if you want the 16gb it cost £59, its much cheaper to buy over here!

i've bought my sleeping bag! roll on friday the 11th

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
Lol, its okay. You were just trying to be helpful. Im not sure if you can delete a thread, but im sure Chris or one of the mods can.
Well, if the Moderators don't mind leaving it up then I guess its okay. I think for anyone who doesn't know this info and didn't read a previous post then this would help them out. Maybe the Mods can leave it up. :)

Thanks for letting me know i can not delete the thread. I searched around and found nothing, but i guess a duplicate type thread may not hurt the system afterall. ;)

TSheridan330

Bronze
Dec 16, 2007
I have a v1 that I want to keep. What would be the price if I wanted to add a line with the v2?

juzcallmeg0d

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
I have a v1 that I want to keep. What would be the price if I wanted to add a line with the v2?
the 3g uses a different data plan than the v1...so you probably cant add it to an existing v1 plan. thats just my guess though...

Runamuck

Bronze
Jan 30, 2008
I'm still a bit confused.

I bought my iPhone in Jan of 2008. According to AT&T's press release:

iPhone 3G will be available for $199 for the 8GB model and $299 for the 16GB model. These prices require two-year contracts and are available to the following customers:

• iPhone customers who purchased before July 11
  • Customers activating a new line with AT&T
  • Current AT&T customers who are eligible, at the time of purchase, for an upgrade discount
Existing AT&T customers who are not currently eligible for an upgrade discount can purchase iPhone 3G for $399 for the 8GB model or $499 for the 16GB model. Both options require a new two-year service agreement. In the future, AT&T will offer a no-contract-required option for $599 (8GB) or $699 (16GB).

Current customers may also choose to wait until they become eligible for an upgrade discount. Eligibility is generally determined by amount of time remaining on a current contract and payment history.

Current AT&T customers who are upgrading to iPhone 3G will pay an $18 upgrade fee and new AT&T customers will pay the standard $36 activation fee.

So do I pay $299 for a new 3G 16gb iPhone and then re-up for another 2 years? Or does the "requires a NEW two-year service agreement" mean I have to pay the full retail price of $699?

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank

iPhone 3G will be available for $199 for the 8GB model and $299 for the 16GB model. These prices require two-year contracts and are available to the following customers:

• Current AT&T customers who are eligible, at the time of purchase, for an upgrade discount
Existing AT&T customers who are not currently eligible for an upgrade discount can purchase iPhone 3G for $399 for the 8GB model or $499 for the 16GB model. Both options require a new two-year service agreement. In the future, AT&T will offer a no-contract-required option for $599 (8GB) or $699 (16GB).

Current customers may also choose to wait until they become eligible for an upgrade discount. Eligibility is generally determined by amount of time remaining on a current contract and payment history.

Current AT&T customers who are upgrading to iPhone 3G will pay an $18 upgrade fee and new AT&T customers will pay the standard $36 activation fee.

So do I pay $299 for a new 3G 16gb iPhone and then re-up for another 2 years? Or does the "requires a NEW two-year service agreement" mean I have to pay the full retail price of $699?
You do have to get a 2 year contract, but you should be able to get it for $299

juzcallmeg0d

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008

you will pay either the $299 or the $499 for existing AT&T customers. there seems to be some debate whether or not AT&T customers with a v1 iPhone will automatically be eligible for the upgrade or not.