Android User Incoming.

Discussion in 'iPhone 3GS' started by Skae, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Skae

Skae New Member

Hello everyone :D my names Skae, and I'm a Android user. I've gotten alot of weird...unneeded hate because I usually don't like apple products due to their flimsy, easily broken screens and the "dress to impress" moto it gives me. BUT. recently I've wanted to put them to the ultimate test. I have a Droid RAZR M that I've owned for 3-4 years, has only cracked once. I want to buy this iPhone 3 off of CL (Craigslist) and see how well it lasts.

As well as the reasons as my stereo only plays via CD and Apple. (No aux so no cheating with mp3 or Pandora..-sigh-)

So. What would I need to do if i buy this iPhone? I don't really want to add another number line.

If I put the iPhone on Internet (LAN), will I be able to fully use it?

The phone is from AT&T, I'm from Verizon.

Main useage for the phone will be games, music. I have my main phone for the calling texting and such. Thoughts? Please throw it all at me, I don't bite

Skae

#1 Skae, Jan 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2015
  2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

You could do a lot better than an iPhone 3G. What's your budget?

Even as an MP3 player, camera and device for games, I'd recommend you consider an iPhone 4S. The faster processor, support for iOS 8 alone will be worth it. If you shop around, you could probably find one for $140 or less. Plus, you can find one that supports Verizon. Should you decide you like the phone, you can call Verizon and switch your plan to your iPhone.

I'm not sure about Verizon phones, but the iPhone 5c is available for $200 (used) on eBay. That's also a very good phone, bigger screen and a good starting point.

3. Skae

Skae New Member

Eh I'm not looking to put another phone for my Verizon bill. They're asking 20 for the 3G -S. I didn't think about games..(that sad considering a gamer..) My budget, maybe 20-50. Payday isn't for awhile. If I was to get the 3 GS; would I be able to use it without a service plan?

4. Skae

Skae New Member

What's iOS8 have? If its just apps.eh.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

An iPhone 3GS will be pretty worthless for games, unless you're into old versions of early iOS games. It's a 2009 iPhone that lacks the hardware and software requirements to run any of the newer games. You could use it as an iPod Touch with no monthly contract or phone features, but you may need an AT&T SIM card to activate it after restores.

It's your disposition that will determine the type of replies you'll get, not the fact that you are an Android user in general. We have a lot of Android users here who we get along with just fine. There are pros and cons to each platform. The Android users who run into problems on Apple forums are typically those who come in with agendas and degrade the Apple users or make unfair and incorrect claims. We have no problem with intelligent discourse and debate here. Those who are interested in that do just fine here.

6. Skae

Skae New Member

Cool. I agree apple and android has its pros and cons. Whole point of getting my *first* iPhone, is to learn and see the difference myself. Will I be able to send text messages, possibly through a 3rd party, (Talkaphone) I think its called.. If I did (if ever) needed to make a call, text from that phone.

7. Skae

Skae New Member

Adding; I don't believe I plan to game on it..I have my android ^^

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

In your first post you said, "Main useage for the phone will be games and music." That's what I was replying to.

9. Skae

Skae New Member

Oh I'm sorry..my brain thinks to fast for me. I don't plan to game on it .-. I'm sorry again. What's the difference in a 3S and 4?

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

But you won't have an optimal experience or be able to see most of the differences as it's a long obsolete iPhone. Getting this 3GS will be a fairly surefire way to ensure that you will dislike iPhones. It was a great phone in 2009, but it's slow and featureless now. It will be very difficult to avoid comparing it to your Android. It would be an extremely unfair comparison to anything other than the very first Android phones to hit the market, such as the T-Mobile MyTouch. The battery might be shot as well.

A lot of apps won't work on it. They require newer firmware that it can't run. This might be the case with the texting apps you want.

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The 4 is from 2010. I definitely don't recommend it, either. Why not just get a used iPod Touch if all you are interested in is music and comparing iOS to Android?

12. Skae

Skae New Member

So you are pretty much recommending a 4S or a iPod Touch. I used to own one, one of the really old ones. Was a touch but no camera. It got stolen from me a year ago but it was only used towards music so..oh well lol. You said a 4S supports 8iOS..I imagine that's the current or newest version of Apple? (Sorry if that's a dumb question lol)

What's the risk of finding one on Craig's list? I hear something about unlocking and such. If I were to go and buy one off someone on craigslist, couldn't I factory reset the phone? I'd have to activate it..and that would take me putting it on my Plan. Wouldn't it?

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

No, I don't recommed a 4S, either. It's too old and you don't need the phone features, right? It's a hassle to get it activated. You need a SIM from the carrier it's tied to if it's not unlocked. Any SIM will work if it's IMEI unlocked. The old software unlocks that you'll find on some of the older phones can't be activated with anything but a SIM from the original carrier and if they used the iPad's baseband, restores are very problematic. If you do go with an old iPhone, I would not accost anything other than a IMEI-unlocked device.

Activating it does not put it on your plan. Do you use AT&T?

I recommend a used iPod Touch that's no more than 2 years old.

14. Skae

Skae New Member

I'm sorry if this comes out blunt, I mean it not to be, but why does the age of it matter? I believe you said that the 4S supports the newest OS, so it should have the same ish features that a 5+ would. And yes I'm not paying attention to the actual features but it wouldn't hurt to look around and explore the Apple Products. What's a IMEI? And I use Verizon. I was thinking if I connect the IPhone to my internet, I can hook it up to my stereo and broadcast Pandora from it.

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Because the hardware is not optimal to support the current firmware. It is a laggy, frustrating experience.

An IMEI is a factory unlock. You can buy them on eBay if it wasn't sold unlocked. You will not be able to activate it with your Verizon SIM if it doesn't have this type of unlock.

16. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I have to agree with @Europa. If you have zero plans to use this as a phone, get an iPod touch. It'll come cheaper than a phone and it has a larger display.

There is no gaming library that can compare to iOS, so if you do game, you'll find it to be pretty awesome.

17. Skae

Skae New Member

Sounds great :D last question. Can a iPhone have music converted from Windows Media Player? Or only from iTunes?

18. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You do not have to go through iTunes. You can obtain the music wherever or however you want.