Angry Birds Go or should I say Mario Cart for iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Apps and Games' started by chris, Dec 11, 2013.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I downloaded Angry Birds Go! this morning and it's exactly what I expected. It is a cart racer, which will draw comparisons to Nintendo's Mario Cart. Trouble is, at least for Nintendo, Mario Cart is not on the App Store. Matter of fact, Nintendo has zero apps on the App Store, opting for exclusivity to their Wii, Wii U, etc. platforms.

I enjoy Angry Birds and the few minutes I've spent playing Go! have been fun. Early reviews seem to agree. With Rovio as an established brand in the App Store, expect this app to be number one by the end of the day.

It seems as if Nintendo's opportunity to capitalize on the App Store is growing slimmer by the day. I get that they want exclusivity, but why not produce iOS versions. Would anyone think any less of them? If done right, it wouldn't dilute their brand. In fact, maybe it would have some game players seeking out more Nintendo games and that could result in game console purchases.

2. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

I just downloaded it and played the first few races. I had to play without sound since I'm in my doctors office, but the game play is nice and smooth with the polish you'd expect from the Angry Birds crew.

3. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Free? The In App Purchases are ridiculous. ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1386805825.862774.jpg

Sent using iCafe app

4. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

"Angry Birds Go" by Rovio

I refuse to invest in in-game currency, and pay for this game as if it were a subscription service:

IMG_1280.PNG (click to enlarge)

$99.99? Seriously, Rovio? For $99.99 I would expect a one-time unlock of every power-up!

So, Rovio, you forced me to stop playing the game because my racers needed "sleep."

Then, Rovio, you further have the audacity to bother me with an iOS Notification saying that "my racers just needed some 'sleep' and they're 'fully charged' and 'desperate to take the wheel!'"

IMG_1275.JPG (click to enlarge)

Beautiful game, I love the gameplay, the 3D world is beautifully rendered, and the birds are just do darn cute! Great attention to detail, Rovio.

BUT

Your begging and groveling repeatedly for money via in-app purchases does not become you. You're getting to be just like Zynga. I would've paid $7, or even $10, for this game that I enjoy. But you decided to go with the freemium model. And this has earned you the following:

• I will give you the lowest possible rating on this game in the App Store.
    • I will not spend one red cent on your in-app purchases.
    • I will post my negative feelings on Facebook (not just my page, but your own), and I will Tweet to my followers (and @Rovio to make sure it reaches your fans).

I would suggest you read this book, Rovio:

41YLh3idEkL._SY344_PJlook-inside-v2,TopRight,1,0_SH20_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (click to enlarge)

5. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I'm glad I didn't download this app. I wanted to, until I read reviews and saw the in app purchases. A real shame!

Sent using iCafe app

6. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I'm gonna end up keeping it. I actually like the gameplay, and it's one of those games that are good for killing 5 or 10 minutes.

It just annoys me that so many software companies are going with this model. I liken this practice to a company putting an arcade-style huge Pac-Man machine in your house and then still expect you to put quarters in it, and then they would send a guy to your house every week to collect the quarters. EVEN if the machine were put in my house for FREE, I would not agree to this: The machine is taking up valuable space in my house, and I don't even own it (because I have to put quarters in to play).

Screen Shot 2013-12-16 at 3.34.08 PM.png

When I downloaded Angry Birds Go, I didn't pay anything for it. Sure, that sounds like quite a deal! But it's a whopping 526 MB application. That's a bit over half a gig. I have a 32GB iPhone 5s, with only 27.5GB out of those 32GB being usable by the end user (me). Therefore, Angry Birds Go is occupying almost 2% of the usable space on my phone. This is comparable to the huge Pac-Man machine occupying 2% of the square footage in my house.

If Rovio expects me to pay, not just once, but on an on-going basis, in order to get full use of the game, they are sadly mistaken.

7. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I'd put quarters in this forever.

IMG_0224.JPG

8. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

It says in the write up that it's 93.2 mb. You mean after downloading it's 526 mb? Most apps are more than stated, but that's ridiculous.

Sent using iCafe app

9. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Apparently it swells up after installing. See for yourself:

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1387315205.844972.jpg

Incidentally, I'm beginning to think the limited playing that you are allowed was a blessing in disguise. The game gulps down battery charge like it's going out of style.

Sent using iCafe app