Annoying High Alert!

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
I never noticed it on iOS 6, It was probably there, but under settings>notification center at the bottom I have a section for government alerts. Amber alerts and emergency alerts. Could be that.

Smarty2600

Bronze
Apr 23, 2011
Yeah if you go into settings you can turn off the alerts because they are annoying and there is no way to get the alerts without making the beeping sound.

The worst was when Cerizon turned it on and I got an alert at 2am. Totally scared the crap out of me.

Sent using iCafe app
I finally turned off the alerts because they always occurred at night. And I agree it definitely freaked me out when I heard it the first time.

Sent using iCafe app

jmp316

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 10, 2008
I'm looking around in iOS 6 and can't find a way to change the alert sound. Bummer, I want to have the alerts on, but would HATE that type of sound...

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I'm looking around in iOS 6 and can't find a way to change the alert sound. Bummer, I want to have the alerts on, but would HATE that type of sound...
I'd like to keep mine on as well. I haven't had any alerts yet. Will I have the beeping sounds even with my iPhone always on vibrate?

Sent using iCafe app

billnye97

Contributor
Silver
Jun 21, 2007
Cleveland
Yeah if you go into settings you can turn off the alerts because they are annoying and there is no way to get the alerts without making the beeping sound.

I finally turned off the alerts because they always occurred at night. And I agree it definitely freaked me out when I heard it the first time.

Sent using iCafe app
I agree. However, Presidential Alerts can't be turned off so we could possibly still get those (if they ever occur). I would assume those would be for something really terrible though.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Do Presidents send Presidential Alerts from their smartphone, using an app? Or do they have to log on to a website to do it?

Couldn't some very smart hackers figure out how to send Presidential Alerts and spam us?

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
Do Presidents send Presidential Alerts from their smartphone, using an app? Or do they have to log on to a website to do it?

Couldn't some very smart hackers figure out how to send Presidential Alerts and spam us?
I believe the Presidential Alerts are the same as the Emergency Broadcast System for radio & TV. Those haven't ever been hacked or even used in something like 17 years.