Annoying message problem - please help

danielfillmore

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
I keep getting this pop up message that says "this accessory is not made to work with iPhone. would you like to turn on airplane mode?" i have no idea what accessory it is talking about and why it is doing it. it's extremely annoying and i don't know how to make it stop. it started shortly after i upgraded to 2.0 but i don't know if that has anything to do with it. please help me figure this out. thanks!

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I hate to recommend this, but back it up and try again!
it's possible that there is a problem with part of the firmware. I would back up the phone and then restore it and see if the problem persists.
If it does, then I would contact Apple.

primsa

Bronze
Dec 12, 2007
Rockford Il.
I have only seen that MSG when you try to dock to a device that is not iPhone certified.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I have only seen that MSG when you try to dock to a device that is not iPhone certified.
I have seen it happen for no particular reason. It generally indicates a problem with the dock at the bottom of the phone.
To the OP: You can turn the phone off and try blowing out the port with some can'd air and see if that helps.

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
Go to Apple and make sure you can duplicate the problem. Tell them that is has been happening ALOT.

This happened to my original phone and I think it was some kind of short circuit or accidentally bridged connection between some circuits on the dock port. I never got the phone wet or dropped it, but the humidity here in South Florida may have led to it.

Anyway, when I took the phone to the Apple store here, it took a little while to duplicate the problem. When the msg first popped up, it would occur every other day. A week later it started occurring about once or twice a day. Then the frequency of the msg continued to increase until it was happening about every 15-20 minutes. I couldn't handle it anymore so I took the phone in.

When the msg appears, you can't hear the iPod through headphones because the phone thinks there are speakers or something plugged in and tries to divert the signal to these "speakers". When I took the phone into the store and the msg appeared while talking to a genius, he played back the ringtones and said, "well, it's working even though that message is popping up.". I had to politely explain to him that of course the speakers work for ringtones and external sounds, but the headphones don't play when the msg appears. Anyway, the popup isn't supposed to be there so the phone is...defective.

Needless to say, the phone was warrantied(in December, purchased July of '07) and replaced.

Get a new one.