Anomalies while syncing home movies from my iTunes to my iPhone 5s

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by Rafagon, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I have iTunes on my iMac (version 11.3), I imported three home movies into iTunes (.mp4 format of course) (via drag-and-drop; iTunes imported them perfectly). I have done this countless times with no issues whatsoever. When why I hit "sync" to get the new three home movies I want on my iPhone to sync with the same movies I just added to my iTunes library, for some reason.. this caused the iPhone to display the "syncing" icon at the top and this icon won't go away (or stop spinning). It's going on 15 minutes. The movies appear fine on iTunes. The length of the movies was not at all long and I have ample space on my iPhone to get them copied there. I would like to simply pull the Lightning cable out of the iPhone and start again, but I'm worried about data corruption especially given that the "syncing" icon won't stop spinning. I can't even Eject the iPhone 5s from my iTunes Sidebar. When I click on it, the iPhone 5s icon on the Sidebar just goes away...

eject.jpg

Should I jsut remove the lightning cable from my iPhone? What are the chances that I'll cause data corruption? @Europa told me a few weeks ago via another post that ejecting an iPhone is not necessary and thtat I should be able to simply remove the lightning cable from my iPhone without risking data corruption. However, does this still apply if the syncing icon is spinning (meaning sync is in progress)?

still syncing.jpg

Any help is appreciated.

2. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I think any time you unplug a cable from a device without properly ejecting it, you risk data corruption. On my Mac, when I have a flash drive connected, I will go in to the Finder and eject the drive and not just remove it.

I'd think though that there are safety mechanisms in place so that you don't have to worry about data corruption. On the other hand, I like to think it's better to be "safe" than "sorry".

3. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

UPDATE: Nothing worked, I had to go all nuclear. Shut the iPhone off, Rebot the iMac, and now everything seems back to normal. But whatever, I won't be trying to put those 3 home movies on my iPhone anytime soon. I'll just watch them on my iMac. Just felt so perplexed that something I've done over 10-15 times with no hassle whatsoever suddenly went haywire today.

Thank you for your prompt response @silvermoon . :)