Another 1.1.1 development...

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Well that got shot down quickly...

I've tracked down a tester who is going to test the mobile store app on a 1.0.2 system. On my insistence, he has sworn not to distribute the application. The goal here is not to start throwing around copyright material but rather to be able to get everyone up to 1.1.1 without losing shell access and third party applications.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work. It hangs for a few seconds and then goes back to the home screen. Either it's missing some 1.1.1 frameworks or it needs authentication a la YouTube. So the 1.0.2/mobile music store experiment is, for the moment, a bust.

--
Mike

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Its progress none the less, and is a lot farther than where the community was last week.

I remember the wait on some of my PSP firmware upgrade hacks, it sucked. Likewise, Sony locks you out of software unless you are sporting the latest firmware.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Its progress none the less, and is a lot farther than where the community was last week.

I remember the wait on some of my PSP firmware upgrade hacks, it sucked. Likewise, Sony locks you out of software unless you are sporting the latest firmware.
I suppose.

But there has been zero progress in executing any sort of meaningful code via the tiff expoit either.

The IRC channel is merely overrun with kids and off-topic chat... very little development talk over there during the last few days. Really wish people would shut the hell up if they cannot contribute anything of value over there--it's not like there aren't other chat rooms if that's all you want to do.

On a good note, a guy over at ModMyiPhone brought up a possibly better way to handle the attack. He wants to use iTunes, since iTunes can do just about anything it wants on the iPhone. This might be something different than the PSP, but I don't really know.

What I do see is a slowdown in 3rd party activity. Gone are the days of waking up to 3 or 4 updates on Installer. :(

--
MIke

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
Yeah, the slow down in 3PA's is probably due to the fact a large number of people did the update and only a few hardcore stragglers stayed behind with 1.0.2. Hopefully everyone is focusing on cracking 1.1.1 right now. It will happen and I bet it's cracked before the end of the year.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I suppose.

But there has been zero progress in executing any sort of meaningful code via the tiff expoit either.
There wasn't a "Hello World" for at least a week on the PSP front when the TIFF exploit was first discovered. Meaningful no, but groundbreaking yes.

The IRC channel is merely overrun with kids and off-topic chat... very little development talk over there during the last few days. Really wish people would shut the hell up if they cannot contribute anything of value over there--it's not like there aren't other chat rooms if that's all you want to do.
Which is exactly why I had mentioned in another thread that the Dev team may have realized that divulging information regarding the progress of a 1.1.1 jailbreak/unlock does two things:
  1. Floods their IRC channel with social retards
  2. Sends a message to Apple who transforms and rolls out from a Mouse to a Cat
On a good note, a guy over at ModMyiPhone brought up a possibly better way to handle the attack. He wants to use iTunes, since iTunes can do just about anything it wants on the iPhone. This might be something different than the PSP, but I don't really know.
PSP mods have worked in a number of ways, but have traditionally been based off of a Save State exploit. Said exploit uses the host game's permissions to have at the file system and plant some tokens of it's own to unlock it. Once unlocked all your firmware updates are done via homebrew installers once they are hacked. The PSP community is on top of their crap like its nobody's businesss. It's a pretty strong community, and it reminds me of the good ol' days with the PocketPC community during it's prime.

What I do see is a slowdown in 3rd party activity. Gone are the days of waking up to 3 or 4 updates on Installer. :(
C'mon, how long did you honestly think those days would last? Most of the blanks in the OS have been filled in by 3rd party solutions at this point, while we don't have copy/paste we do have a finder. To top this off, some of what we got was just reworks of existing code. Take the Money program for example, the dev said he had used some of the NES code for the lists, and then the guy who did the ToDo list used some of that Money code. In ToDo the edit screen still read "<Transactions)" until recently.

I've slowed my Installer checks to once a day, and I think thats how Nullriver wants it. They've created a monster and they need to start putting it in check. One way to do that is by distributing apps well after the dev has already published the binaries. This has pretty much been the current trend since AppTapp/Installer was cited in the news with regards to estimates on how many Jailbroken iPhones there are out in the wild based on Nullriver's traffic numbers.

I supposed if the iPhone weren't this much of a pain to jailbreak/mod now we'd have less to talk about, and thats never any fun around here, especially after that dry spell a few weeks ago.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
C'mon, how long did you honestly think those days would last? Most of the blanks in the OS have been filled in by 3rd party solutions at this point, while we don't have copy/paste we do have a finder.
While I appreciate the apps that have filled in the holes, I woudn't call many of them complete--even Mobile Finder (lots of bugs, still).

Blackjack hasn't seen an update in some time--and it's still missing a crucial piece of game-play.

Five-Dice, the same thing: it was going to have multi-player support, it even shows a place for two players' names, but that too hasn't seen an update in awhile.

So in a nutshell, no, I certainly didn't expect it to drop off like this. Moreover, the timing of the drop-off is too close to the 1.1.1 debacle for me to think it was just coincidence. More like the devs realized the audience was either static or dwindling.

--
Mike

cflamm

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
can someone explain what a "tiff exploit" is. i thought a tiff was like a jpeg only crunchy.

Crash Override

Bronze
Aug 9, 2007
Here's some updates from gizmodo

Good news! The iPhone 1.1.1 file system has been broken open as a result of two iPhone hackers inserting symbolic links into the file system of a 1.0.2 iPhone before updating. And with file system access, it means we're one step closer to activating, then jailbreaking, and then enabling third-party applications. Erica at TUAW is liveblogging her progress, and we'll update this post with more info as it comes in. TUAW]
Update: The current status is file access, but no executable access and no shell access. This means that although you can look, you can't run apps. With a little file fiddling, that should come very soon.
Update 2: Any dreams of using the Wi-Fi music store on 1.0.2, effectively negating one big reason to upgrade, have been squashed. It doesn't work.
Update 3: Pash from Lifehacker tells us the whole third-party app scene has been totally quiet since the 1.1.1 launch. Both new apps and updates to old ones have been stagnant.
Update 4: They have read access to the entire disk, but write access is still limited.

akophone

Bronze
Aug 1, 2007
"Update 5":

From Erica's update at TUAW;

"Right now, I'm writing a series of shell scripts to run iPhuc to get files, list folders, etc. I've given up completely on the (utterly flakey) iPhoneDisk.

Writing these routines will take a while. I'll be back later in a separate post to let you know the results. That's it for this morning live-blog wise. Things are moving fast, so I'll keep you up to date."

Time to get them popcorn out....

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
"Update 5":

From Erica's update at TUAW;

"Right now, I'm writing a series of shell scripts to run iPhuc to get files, list folders, etc. I've given up completely on the (utterly flakey) iPhoneDisk.

Writing these routines will take a while. I'll be back later in a separate post to let you know the results. That's it for this morning live-blog wise. Things are moving fast, so I'll keep you up to date."

Time to get them popcorn out....
Heck, I'm just happy to see any progress. I'm tempted to go back to 1.1.1 just to be able to follo.... what am I nuts?! :p

--
Mike