(Another) Calendar Sync Solution

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

DReborn

Aug 8, 2007
NOTE: I do NOT take credit for this solution. It has been posted around many different forums but it is usually buried and lost among the pages.

My setup: Vista Ultimate, Latest iTunes and iPhone software, Office 2007

My issue: i could sync contacts fine and i could sync calendar items FROM the iPhone TO Outlook. I could not, however, sync calendar appts FROM Outlook TO my iPhone.

Troubleshooting: i tried every thing suggested from repairing/removing my .pst file, reinstalling iTunes/Office, checking the Outlook iTunes add-in, darn near everything.

The Solution that worked for ME: Remove the Live Search Maps Outlook add in.

Steps:

1. go into Outlook, Tools -> Trust Center -> Add-ins
2. click "Go" near the bottom under manage COM Add-Ins
3. Highlight the Live Search add-in and choose Remove. Close Outlook.
4. go into "Add/Remove Programs" or "Uninstall Programs" (vista) and find the Live Search Outlook application. Uninstall it.
5. Restart Outlook and try to sync your calendar.

Worked like a charm for me. Recurring appts work, old appts, new appts, everything!

YMMV but this was a life saver for me. Good luck!

JACathcart

Jul 6, 2007
Agreed...this worked for me too

Bingo DReborn, this is the solution that worked for me as well.

I did notice however, that during the last iTunes update, it deleted all of my recurring appts, leaving only the first date of each. After restoring those however, I have not had a single problem.

Clearly, Apple needs to look into the recurring appt thing, but at least I can sync back and forth now with no hassles.

Good luck all!

Aug 11, 2007
That was it.

NOTE: I do NOT take credit for this solution. It has been posted around many different forums but it is usually buried and lost among the pages.

My issue: i could sync contacts fine and i could sync calendar items FROM the iPhone TO Outlook. I could not, however, sync calendar appts FROM Outlook TO my iPhone.

Troubleshooting: i tried every thing suggested from repairing/removing my .pst file, reinstalling iTunes/Office, checking the Outlook iTunes add-in, darn near everything.

Steps:

4. go into "Add/Remove Programs" or "Uninstall Programs" (vista) and find the Live Search Outlook application. Uninstall it.

Worked like a charm for me. Recurring appts work, old appts, new appts, everything!

It was the Outlook Live Search application. I have been trying for over a month to get my calendar to sync with no avail. Just saw you post about the Outlook Live Search which was installed as an update in Outlook 2003. Then I upgraded to 2007 thinking that might solve it. Then 2-3 iTunes updates and one iPhone firmware update and still nothing. Just went on and uninstalled the Outlook Live Search from control panel, add/remove and restarted my computer. Then synced with iTunes and bingo. Thank you very much for the info.

FrankMcL

Bronze
I don't HAVE Live Search Add-in!

I'm also missing the Outlook iTunes sync add-in, although I had it before I removed and reinstalled 7.3.2.6!
Spent 4 hours with the Geek Squad (what a joke) they claim that I have to reformat my hard disk because Vista is installed over EX!

Steps:

Aug 11, 2007
I don't think iTunes sync is required any longer

I no longer have iTunes sync plugin but my syncing now works. Double check that Outlook Live Search is not in your Add/Remove under control panel. It just may not be in your Outlook program.

Also, I have read that syncing does not work on 64 bit operating systems. Your Vista version may be 64 bit. If so your are out luck until Apple makes their change over later this year.

I'm also missing the Outlook iTunes sync add-in, although I had it before I removed and reinstalled 7.3.2.6!
Spent 4 hours with the Geek Squad (what a joke) they claim that I have to reformat my hard disk because Vista is installed over EX!

FrankMcL

Bronze
It's so frustrating

I do not have Outlook Live Search (that I can find) in the remove program section of the control panel!
My system is 32 bit!

I no longer have iTunes sync plugin but my syncing now works. Double check that Outlook Live Search is not in your Add/Remove under control panel. It just may not be in your Outlook program.

Also, I have read that syncing does not work on 64 bit operating systems. Your Vista version may be 64 bit. If so your are out luck until Apple makes their change over later this year.

rdt7

Jul 27, 2007
I do not have Outlook Live Search (that I can find) in the remove program section of the control panel!
My system is 32 bit!
Well, everything was working fine until today. Calendar synched just fine but today I started getting the message while synching: "Microsoft Office Outlook: Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot fullfill the messaging request. Please run Microsoft Office Outlook and set it as the default."

So now, calendar does not synch and it did before. MS Outlook IS the default mail client. I unistalled iTunes and reinstalled it with no luck. I run MS Office 2003 and XP. I do not have Outlook Live Search (or I can't find it).

Any suggestions?

rdt7

Jul 27, 2007
Well, everything was working fine until today. Calendar synched just fine but today I started getting the message while synching: "Microsoft Office Outlook: Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot fullfill the messaging request. Please run Microsoft Office Outlook and set it as the default."

So now, calendar does not synch and it did before. MS Outlook IS the default mail client. I unistalled iTunes and reinstalled it with no luck. I run MS Office 2003 and XP. I do not have Outlook Live Search (or I can't find it).

Any suggestions?
Well, I called Apple Technical Support and problem is solved. It seems the software update changed some things about how the calendars synch. The solution was to go into Internet Explorer to "Tools" to "Internet Options" to "Programs" and select Outlook for email (vs. Outlook Express). We also reset the phone.

It was a great experience with Tech Support. Shore, sweet and the guy knew what he was doing (vs. blindly following some sort of checklist)

FrankMcL

Bronze
Can not find Outlook for Email under "Programs"

Well, I called Apple Technical Support and problem is solved. It seems the software update changed some things about how the calendars synch. The solution was to go into Internet Explorer to "Tools" to "Internet Options" to "Programs" and select Outlook for email (vs. Outlook Express). We also reset the phone.

It was a great experience with Tech Support. Shore, sweet and the guy knew what he was doing (vs. blindly following some sort of checklist)

I followed your instructions but can not find an option to select Outlook for email. I looked under all the other tabs as well.
Can you provide the phone number for Apple Support?
Thanks

rdt7

Jul 27, 2007
I followed your instructions but can not find an option to select Outlook for email. I looked under all the other tabs as well.
Can you provide the phone number for Apple Support?
Thanks
You might want to update your version of Explorer. The Apple Tech support # is 800-694-7466