Another jailbreaking?

HUNTER1

Bronze
May 28, 2009
The one thing I need from this phone is to watch live tv meaning a Slingbox PRO-HD and the slingplayer from the app store but only on Wi-Fi. If jailbroken it will play on 3G, should I follow the normal procedure in jailbreaking? I don't want to deal with all the side effects of jailbroken phone, Is this worth doing? thanks

Adam1389

Silver
Nov 20, 2008
Ilwaco, WA
If you jailbreak it and you aren't happy with the performance of the phone, you can always restore to normal again.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Is this worth doing? is of course the toughest of those questions, and there's no right answer, just answers on what works for different people. I ran jailbroken for a long time prior to the App Store coming along (and for periods afterwards as well) and enjoyed it, used some great apps that are only available when jailbroken etc. Now, I'm more than happy to stay stock (although I am running the latest 3.0 beta). Jailbreak was worth it to me back in pre App Store days, not so much afterwards.

A couple other things to perhaps keep in mind:

The fact that a jailbreak app allows you to run the Sling app over 3G is all well and good, but you'd want to be aware there is a risk that you incur charges from AT&T for doing so.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'the normal procedure' for jailbreaking - but I think most / many of us have tended to have the best results via Pwnage Tools and related apps.

Oh, and if you do choose to jailbreak one important tip is to setup as a 'new phone' when you're done, not a restore from backup.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Look through this thread - it should answer most of any questions you have on the jailbreaking process. It also explains how to do it. If you ever feel like going back to stock, or in other words, un-jailbreaking, just Restore your iPhone in iTunes.

HUNTER1

Bronze
May 28, 2009
Thanks guys. What I will do is set up the sling and if not satisfy with just wi-fi I'll jailbreak.
Two more things.
What charges from AT&T?
When setting up a new phone, will it get rid of the previous Apps that I paid for and rebuy them again including the slingplayer?

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
When setting up a new phone, will it get rid of the previous Apps that I paid for and rebuy them again including the slingplayer?
iTunes remembers what apps you bought and won't charge you again. Even if you see a price, you'll get a dialogue box on your iPhone to the effect that you can download the app for free since you previously paid for it.

HUNTER1

Bronze
May 28, 2009
That sounds good, now I just need to a find a good bargain for the slingbox.