Another Push issue

I saw the topic about Push not seeming to work all the time (i.e. in Sleep mode) for some people.

I'm experiencing a different issue. I have Push turned Off, yet my iPhone keeps randomly Pushing my email to me. Anyone else experienced this? It's really strange. I've checked all the settings I know to check.

Thanks!

Adam1389

Silver
Nov 20, 2008
Ilwaco, WA
You have push set on your email ;) Go to Settings, Mail, Fetch new Data, and turn push off in there.

Thanks, Adam, I wish that were the case (I went in and looked again just to be sure). But as I mentioned, it is definitely turned off. In fact, I've never had it turned on in the entire time I've owned the phone. That's why I'm so perplexed by this.

Additionally, in the Advanced Settings within Mail, I have Fetch set to Manual, so it shouldn't automatically Fetch either. It's very puzzling. Any thoughts? Are there other settings that can cause this? I'm thinking of just deleting my mail accounts on it and reinstalling them, although I don't know why that would help - it's just something to try! LOL!

Are you running more then one mail account on the phone?
I was. I had four on it (a couple of Yahoo accounts, MobileMe and Gmail). My main email account is through my ISP, and it's on there too. All had Fetch turned to Manual. I pulled them all off except my main email account, just to try and simplify finding out the problem.

The trouble is, it's seemingly random. Doesn't Push every email through. Just now and then, it will push one or a few through.

One other weird thing is that (on occasion) after I delete emails (and empty the Trash folder in the email), sometimes those same emails will come right back and show up as new mail in my Inbox.

thealiencow

Bronze
Sep 14, 2008
The trouble is, it's seemingly random. Doesn't Push every email through. Just now and then, it will push one or a few through.
When you say "Push," do you mean that the emails come immediately? The iPhone should only support push email for Exchange, MobileMe and Yahoo. What kind of service does your ISP provide?

Is it possible that they come every 15 min, 30 min, or an hour?

Adam1389

Silver
Nov 20, 2008
Ilwaco, WA
If he has Fetch set to manual, they shouldn't show up at all until you open the Mail app. I thought maybe I was having the same issue, but I left Fetch turned on for one account...How huge of a problem is this for you? If it is that bad, i would say try removing all the mail settings, and set them back up and see if that does it, or last resort, maybe do a full restore and setup as new.

Phxblue: LOL! Yeah, my phone is proactive for me!

Adam: I guess it's not so much of a problem, but the main reason I keep Push turned off is because I regularly check email anyway, at least a couple times a day (that's all I want to do). Another would be the battery drain. It drains the battery faster when it's on, same as having Wifi on all the time.

So, it's more of an inconvenience, but I'm hoping Apple has a fix for it. Definitely only began to happen after 3.0, so maybe some bug fixes are in the works. I hope.