Another quick question about Other memory

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by Link182kidd, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Link182kidd

Link182kidd Member
    Bronze

Isit normal to have 2GB of my already small 16GB taken up by 'Other' memory. I don't have photo's at all, not even one. No notes and no voice mail.

Any ideas?

Thanks once again people.

Sent using iPhone 5.

2. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

Do you have a lot of MMS messages with photos or video's attached that you haven't deleted from the phone? There other things like the phone's operating system, un-deleted e-mails, data stored by apps, album cover data and more that can fall into "Other" category. The one thing you might try is to delete all unwanted messages and e-mails, if that doesn't work then back-up your phone in iTunes, go to Settings/General in the iPhone, scroll to the bottom to Reset, tap it then in the next screen the second button from the top is "Erase All Content And Settings". Tapping that will start the phone to erase all user data on it. When it is done your phone will look like the day you first got it, then you can restore the phone from the back-up you just made.

Currently my 64 gb iPhone 5 shows 1.25gb of "Other". I usually do not save e-mails after I read them because they will also be on my computer when I open MS Outlook and I can deal with them from there if more is needed. The same is true of MMS messages with photos and video's. I will e-mail the photos or videos I want to save to myself then delete the message from the phone.

One last thought, if you quickly press the Home Button twice how many app icons show up on the springboard? My wife's phone regularly has 75 to 80 apps running in the background. If you don't periodically close out apps running in the background, they can take up a lot of room also. I my case I may close them out several times a day as it only takes a few seconds to do so.

Good luck, let us know how you make out.

3. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Also, Safari's temporary files are saved in that category. If this is what's going on in your case, it's fairly easy to clear out. Go to Settings > Safari, then tap on "Clear History" and then on "Clear Cookies and Data"...

You'll lose your saved passwords, so keep that in mind! Here's an excellent summary of what to expect:

http://www.everythingicafe.com/clear-cache-cookies-history-safari-iphone/2013/02/26/

I've read that interrupting syncs with iTunes can leave junk in that "Other" category, so try to avoid that whenever possible.

4. AdamDaieh

AdamDaieh Member
    Bronze

I also have this issue. I have a 16GB iPhone and when I check the memory after I restore it, it's already 13GB, is the system taking up the space? I'm not sure though.

5. Cloudfire

Cloudfire New Member

As with any device that has a hard drive. The operating system takes up space. You will never have the allotted said space.

Sent using iCafe app

6. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

As Cloudfire stated, when the phone shipped as a 16GB unit some of that storage capacity was already taken up by the operating system and the few apps that Apple shipped the phone with. That amounts to something less than 1.5 GB.

7. Link182kidd

Link182kidd Member
    Bronze

But im loosing 3gb and i have cleared everything i can off my phone like photos, voice mail....

Sent using iPhone 5.

8. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

Have you tried "restore as new"? If you "Restore as New" before you start to do anything else following the restore, check to see how much "Other" is being used at that time. If the level is reasonable and gets back to the high level you describe after doing a "Restore from back-up" of the phone, then the back-up file is suspect. If the level is high after a "Restore as New" then you may have a hardware issue. Is the phone still under warranty?