Another Rumor--Wireless Charging. Why??

Discussion in 'iPhone 7' started by Hondamaker, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius
    Gold

I don't understand why people like wireless charging. Maybe I'm missing something here. What's the benefit? If it's on the charger (literally) and I get a call, or I want to place one, or just pick up the phone to do something else, then it's not charging any more. If I use the cable to charge, I can do whatever I want on the phone and it will still be charging.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  2. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

My sentiments exactly. I'm sure it has its uses somewhere, but I think it's mainly wanting new technology for the sake of wanting it.

3. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Until the range of wireless charging improves dramatically, I agree with you 100%.

I would want something like this, except—make my whole house a big charging bowl (while simultaneously not causing brain cancer).

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I've never used one, but I think they are popular simply because of convenience. We have Lightning connectors, which are reversible and easy to connect, but most Android phones use micro USB, so if you don't look at it while you're connecting it you'll likely only get it right 50% of the time. They also don't connect quite as effortlessly as Lightning. It takes two hands with either of them unless you have a dock or are super dexterous with one hand. They don't mind setting it back down to charge after the call and still have a plug if they do need to use it during use. I'd probably use it if Apple included it with the phone, but it's not something I need or really care about. Also, people like the novelty of it.

5. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I have no interest in wireless charging as it is. I use my phone too much while charging it. If it would charge while using it, I might say differently.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

For me, wireless charging would be about as useful as a screen door in a submarine.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

The only time I can this as being useful is at night. I use my phone as an alarm clock with a clock app and sit up on my nightstand. I need to unplug it if I need to use it so it would be handy to just set it on a wireless charging pad.

8. Carolx3

Carolx3 New Member

I think it would be useful on my night stand.

9. 47seijar

47seijar Zealot
    Bronze

I've used wireless charging on a Lumia Icon and it's awesome. Just like Apple's fingerprint reader making it just a little easier to open/unlock your phone, wireless charging lets you drop the phone on a charging mat instead of plugging something into a port. Better for the phone in the long run and so convenient to just snatch your phone up as you run out the door.

Of course this all presupposes that everything works right. That's not always the case. In all fairness, I must admit there were times when my Nokia didn't charge and didn't warn me. I picked up a nearly dead phone when I was expecting a fully charged phone. But when it works, it's a superior technology.

10. Carolx3

Carolx3 New Member

With wireless charging, will Apple be able to get rid of the data port? Seems like they are aiming to get rid of the head phone port in the same manner, which allows them to make a thinner phone.

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

No, not a chance. You still need the cable to charge when you aren't near the wireless charger. You also still need to cable for fast syncing with iTunes, restores/iOS updates and Lightning flash drives.

The Lightning port will be used for headphones if they phase out the headphone jack.

12. Carolx3

Carolx3 New Member

Good point

13. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

There's definitely a convenience factor when using wireless charging. It's incredibly easy to just place it down and boom, charging.

14. efuseakay

efuseakay Contributor
    Silver

With the option of still being able to plug in and charge, I guess if Apple wants do go ahead with it, why not. I don't see a use for it yet though. But if there was say, a 5 ft. radius, and it would charge while being used, sure! We are nowhere close to that though. Yet.

15. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

They're working on it.

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I'm kinda surprised surprised how many upvotes the original post has gotten. I'm calling it now - every one of you will enjoy the convenience of this technology after Apple has released a wireless charger. I think a lot of Apple fans tend to scoff at Android features until we get them, almost as if it's an automatic defense mechanism. I saw the same thing happen when people talked about the iPhone getting NFC. I use Apple Pay nearly every day.

17. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

18. chazm

chazm Contributor
    Silver

You guys aren't also talking into account how nice wireless charging in for your car. My friend has it and he just places the phone on the magnetic dock and it's charging and holding his phone

Once apple gets it, all the apple people will say it's great, of course

19. ednygma

ednygma Contributor
    Bronze

I can only see a benefit of wireless charging if it means you could be in a reasonable proximity to the charging base and it automatically starts charging...like the way your wireless router works and you connect throughout your house to it. Then you simply never think about it...it just does it's thing while you do yours whether you are using your phone or not.

20. bams50

bams50 Contributor
    Bronze

Count me as another one disturbed by this possibility. I also use my phone quite a lot while it is plugged in and charging.

Now, if they offered wireless charging and corded charging both, that would be a great thing.

I am also very, very concerned about the talk about doing away with the speaker! I listen to Music on my phone laying on the shelf next to me in my delivery truck all the time. It's not concert sound, but it keeps me company just fine with that little speaker. No way am I going to go through the hassle of carrying a separate speaker and remembering to keep it charged every day.

I sure hope they drop some of these BS ideas.