ANOTHER smashed iPhone....

jimmy_hat

Bronze
Jan 19, 2008
UK
Well, I haven't been on here in a while, but I have managed to smash the glass bit in front of the screen on my iPhone very badly in that time. Don't ask me how it happened; I only dropped it from about 3 feet onto one of the bottom corners, and the whole bottom of the screen is now very badly cracked. There's also a huge crack running up to the top of the glass. It's one of the worst breaks I've seen (probably THE worst :s) so I might post some pics later. I'm going to the Apple store today to see if I can try to convice them it shouldn't have broken like that from a 3 foot drop, and to fix it under warranty, but I doubt I'll get very far that way.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Well, I haven't been on here in a while, but I have managed to smash the glass bit in front of the screen on my iPhone very badly in that time. Don't ask me how it happened; I only dropped it from about 3 feet onto one of the bottom corners, and the whole bottom of the screen is now very badly cracked. There's also a huge crack running up to the top of the glass. It's one of the worst breaks I've seen (probably THE worst :s) so I might post some pics later. I'm going to the Apple store today to see if I can try to convice them it shouldn't have broken like that from a 3 foot drop, and to fix it under warranty, but I doubt I'll get very far that way.
just tell them it did it on its own.

"i left it in the dock... i woke up, and it was like THIS!"

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Yeah I don't know how successful you'll be at Apple but hopefully it goes well. Replacement is going to run you $250.

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
Yeah, good luck at Apple. Hope it works out for you.

jimmy_hat

Bronze
Jan 19, 2008
UK
No luck whatsoever at the Apple store. They said bin it.... :D So I'm going to prove them wrong and fix it myself! Ordered the glass front from ebay earlier! XD!

Oh yes and while you lucky US lot can get your screens fixed by Apple at the bargain price of $250, we in the UK are stuck with paying £169 ($340) for the exact same procedure. It just doesn't make sense....

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
No luck whatsoever at the Apple store. They said bin it.... :D So I'm going to prove them wrong and fix it myself! Ordered the glass front from ebay earlier! XD!

Oh yes and while you lucky US lot can get your screens fixed by Apple at the bargain price of $250, we in the UK are stuck with paying £169 ($340) for the exact same procedure. It just doesn't make sense....
Haha let me know how the self fix goes. Make sure you read how to take it apart real closely. And stay organized as you do so with what goes where.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
and take pics of the process if you can.

24trepid

Silver
Jan 13, 2008
Florida
Yeah, we want to see the destruction......LOL

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
but first, some photographs of the phone before the disassembly procedure.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia

Oh ouch, I didn't realize you were in the U.K. Good luck with the self-fix and definitely post pics of the process.

jimmy_hat

Bronze
Jan 19, 2008
UK
Your pictures....

Last edited by a moderator:

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Those are some sad pics. Sorry about your luck. Three feet isn't very far, but at the right angle it can do some damage.
Good luck with the repair and as was stated, take your time and remember what goes where.

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
I remember seeing a decent guide on how to take it apart somewhere....

but im on my phone, so even if I found it, I wouldn't be able to post it...

jimmy_hat

Bronze
Jan 19, 2008
UK
Theres a very detailed guide on iFixit.com on how to replace individual parts of the phone, and I also read that you can just take out the broken bits of the screen, use some Goo-Gone on it and then just put the new screen in without taking it apart....

jimmy_hat

Bronze
Jan 19, 2008
UK
Man, those are some nasty pics. When does the replacement arrive? Be sure to take pics during the repair process if you can.
The description said 7-14 days, and I'm hoping for closer to 7 judging by my last order from HK, but we shall see. I'll take some pictures during the repair, however I decide to go about doing it. Should be interesting to see how it works out.

jimmy_hat

Bronze
Jan 19, 2008
UK
Got the screen today, started scraping the old glass out with a knife. I'll finish it tomorrow and hopefully get round to putting up some some pics of the installation. Assuming it works....